Thread: Cultural changes from history upto present times-

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cultural changes from history upto present times-

How Sivalinga Sculptures have changed through history:

I have noticed that Sivalinga sculptures were made somewhat differently in our long past (atleast in the northern region of India). It was customary then to sculpt a deity figure on the lingam itself. In our present times, this practice of sculpting a deity figure on the lingam has been replaced by drawing 3 lines on the lingam and a dot or nothing at all. This practice of sculpting a deity face on the lingam continued for a long time i.e., from Kushana say upto 7th century or so (as per my observation so far). However, the present day Sivalingams are not made with a deity face on it.

The first photo below is of the Kushana period (approx. 2300 year old, Mathura region) sculpture of Sivalinga showing deity image on one of its sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one faced sivalinga mathura.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	16889

The second photo is that of Gupta period (approx. 1800 year old) Sivalingam sculpture showing a group of 5 lingams (one in the centre and 4 around it) with faces sculpted on them.

Name:	5 faced sivalinga mathura.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	16890

The 3rd one is an undated sivalinga excavated in village Kiloi (dist. Rohtak, Haryana) showing deity face on the lingam.

Name:	kiloi.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	16891

The 4th one is a contemporary styled sivalingam (with no sculpted image on it).

Name:	contemporary sivalingam.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	16892
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Bahadursaroha (October 30th, 2013), rkumar (October 23rd, 2013), vdhillon (October 24th, 2013)