Thread: No need for street lights at night...

No need for street lights at night...

A recent news item I came across says that it is feasible to paint roads with a chemical that will absorb sunlight during the day and emit light during night, making the road glow in the dark. This concept has been tried out on roads that run within parks in England.
    For a photo of the glow in the dark road and more details on the news item, here is the link:
    http://www.popsci.com/article/techno...treet-lighting
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Hariom1972 (August 30th, 2014), hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016), Prikshit (October 24th, 2013), rajpaldular (October 24th, 2013), rkumar (October 24th, 2013), satyenderdeswal (October 24th, 2013), vdhillon (October 24th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    A recent news item I came across says that it is feasible to paint roads with a chemical that will absorb sunlight during the day and emit light during night, making the road glow in the dark. This concept has been tried out on roads that run within parks in England.
    For a photo of the glow in the dark road and more details on the news item, here is the link:
    I have been talking of this in my friend circles for many years. Street lighting is a big waste of energy and resources. Towns in USA have hardly few street lights and that too at crossings and turns. If people can drive in night on highways with just car searchlights, why not in towns and cities ? Idea of paint is good. However, I am not sure how effective that will be on city roads. Roads in par are very different than in cities.

RK^2
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016), sukhbirhooda (July 7th, 2014)

I think it can be tried out in Indian villages where lighting may not be amply available.

QUOTE=rkumar;350938]I have been talking of this in my friend circles for many years. Street lighting is a big waste of energy and resources. Towns in USA have hardly few street lights and that too at crossings and turns. If people can drive in night on highways with just car searchlights, why not in towns and cities ? Idea of paint is good. However, I am not sure how effective that will be on city roads. Roads in par are very different than in cities.

RK^2[/QUOTE]
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016)

I think it can be tried out in Indian villages where lighting may not be amply available.
    Clean roads/ streets are the prerequisite for this to succeed. Unfortunately we Indians are not known to keep our roads and street clean. Most of these easy solutions fail in India because of our civic habits. In my view the pole mounted solar street lights is the only practical solution for India, provided these are maintained properly. In US they have reflectors on the sides of all highways. Its a simple solution. However, that too won't work in India as within no time they are stolen and sold in scrap market.

RK^2

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016), sukhbirhooda (July 7th, 2014), urmiladuhan (October 24th, 2013)

Parks roads have lower wear and tear. Traffic streets and roads have higher wear and tear and technology may not yet be conducive.

Though, future technical advancements may produce slow-release pain i.e. pain that slowly releases itself from the depth of the tarmac to counter (overlap/automatically repaint) the wear and tear due to the traffic. In the mean, time this paint still could be used to paint the shoulders and lane-dividers of the roads, thus enhancing the visibility and road safety in the night and the fog.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016), ssgoyat (June 26th, 2014), sukhbirhooda (July 7th, 2014), urmiladuhan (October 24th, 2013)

Interesting solution by young students on the reuse of CFL bulbs;

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1233699.aspx

Great effort indeed.

RK^2

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

ayushkadyan (June 26th, 2014), cooljat (June 27th, 2014), Prikshit (June 26th, 2014), ravishbhupesh (October 18th, 2015), ssgoyat (June 26th, 2014), sukhbirhooda (July 7th, 2014)

Hopefully it will not have environmental effect as it says "chemical".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ravishbhupesh For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (January 10th, 2016)

WOW!! But cost factor is feasible or not?