Thread: What it takes to get a job !!

What it takes to get a job !!

Which qualities you think are necessary to get a job in present situation? We often complain of not getting a job, is lack of jobs is the only reason for this? Or its like we are not that competitive?
    Please share your views
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (December 7th, 2013), Saharan1628 (December 7th, 2013), sukhbirhooda (December 8th, 2013)

Good question but tough as well.Here is my story of "What it takes to get a job".Hope it helps but if it doesn't then sorry friends.
    I have been through this question quite a lot.Here's what i went through in the last many months (many downs and few ups,roller coaster ride):-

1) Started with IBPS PO..cut off 133,I managed to get in 170's in objective paper but missed GK cut off by 1 mark.Result- disappointed.Mainly coz GK ka ek question tha jisme particular tour mai Aus ka captain pucha tha.Don't know why but i ticked Ricky Pointing.Ghar aake I was like what the hell,captain to Clarke tha and I even watched that series.Blunder.

2) EIL(Engineers India Limited)-PSU(Stream Computers coz I am B.Tech in Computers)--missed cut off by I think around 4 marks.Disappointment continues.

3) Another PSU-HAL(Hindustan Aeronautics Limited)-This time a bit lucky initially.Only 76 general cand in computers were shortlisted from objective test from all over India.I managed to get through and in interview,only 18 got selected.My name was not there.Disappointment continues.

4) Now another PSU-ONGC-50 general shortlisted in computers through objective test.Got selected but couldn't get through the interviews.Only 10 or 11 were in the final merit list.Once again Disappointment continues.

5) After PSUs..back to banking sector.SBI PO..once again the same old story.Selected for interview but out after that.I guess 2-3 numbers se reh gya tha.As expected Disappointment continues.

6) But between all these a little bit good thing was happening..SSC CGL 1st paper was cleared in April 12 and then 2nd paper was also cleared in mid of 12.But as u all know chewing gum ki tarah h inka process..chabaaye jaao chabaaye jaao.Interview maine apni ability ke hisaab se bekaar hi dia tha :D (Imagine ek computer engg yeh nhi bta paaya ki computers ne kaise life nd lifestyle change kiya h-height of nervousness). But 100 mai se 57 lene ke baad bhi ranking improve hi hui..before int it was 700+,after int it was 600+.

7)Now back to another disappointent.UPSC Asst Cmmndt ka written,physical,medical clear karne ke baad after interview I was just 3 marks short.

But Novembers can be good. Atleast they proved to be good in my case.Got joining in Election Commission through CGL 12 and just a week later managed to get selected for Asst Cmmndt through reserve list.

So for me it wasn't lack of jobs.There were plenty of oppurtunities but guess my preparation wasn't good enough and that was surely exposed in interviews.(In HAL interview they asked simple question-what do u know abt HAL..I went to Bangalore to give interview aur yeh hi nhi pta ki yeh exactly karti kya h,bas itna pta tha ki defence ke liye helicopter banaati h)

I wrote this Ram kahaani just coz I thought there might be many going through the same phase.. Rejection,Tension,Introspection,Selection.
    Kaise kahein wardi tujhse pyaar nhi,
    Kaise kahein wardi tera intzaar nhi.
    Kuch khataa to Haryana ki maati ki bhi h,
    Ek akele hum hi gunahgaar nhi.
    Murrah Pride
    - The original drink of Haryana

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Saharan1628 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (December 7th, 2013), Gauri (February 26th, 2014), gsolanki9063 (December 7th, 2013), Prikshit (December 9th, 2013), rajpaldular (December 7th, 2013), rekhasmriti (December 8th, 2013), sukhbirhooda (December 8th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Saharan1628 View Post
    Good question but tough as well.Here is my story of "What it takes to get a job".Hope it helps but if it doesn't then sorry friends.
    I have been through this question quite a lot.Here's what i went through in the last many months (many downs and few ups,roller coaster ride):-

1) Started with IBPS PO..cut off 133,I managed to get in 170's in objective paper but missed GK cut off by 1 mark.Result- disappointed.Mainly coz GK ka ek question tha jisme particular tour mai Aus ka captain pucha tha.Don't know why but i ticked Ricky Pointing.Ghar aake I was like what the hell,captain to Clarke tha and I even watched that series.Blunder.

2) EIL(Engineers India Limited)-PSU(Stream Computers coz I am B.Tech in Computers)--missed cut off by I think around 4 marks.Disappointment continues.

3) Another PSU-HAL(Hindustan Aeronautics Limited)-This time a bit lucky initially.Only 76 general cand in computers were shortlisted from objective test from all over India.I managed to get through and in interview,only 18 got selected.My name was not there.Disappointment continues.

4) Now another PSU-ONGC-50 general shortlisted in computers through objective test.Got selected but couldn't get through the interviews.Only 10 or 11 were in the final merit list.Once again Disappointment continues.

5) After PSUs..back to banking sector.SBI PO..once again the same old story.Selected for interview but out after that.I guess 2-3 numbers se reh gya tha.As expected Disappointment continues.

6) But between all these a little bit good thing was happening..SSC CGL 1st paper was cleared in April 12 and then 2nd paper was also cleared in mid of 12.But as u all know chewing gum ki tarah h inka process..chabaaye jaao chabaaye jaao.Interview maine apni ability ke hisaab se bekaar hi dia tha :D (Imagine ek computer engg yeh nhi bta paaya ki computers ne kaise life nd lifestyle change kiya h-height of nervousness). But 100 mai se 57 lene ke baad bhi ranking improve hi hui..before int it was 700+,after int it was 600+.

7)Now back to another disappointent.UPSC Asst Cmmndt ka written,physical,medical clear karne ke baad after interview I was just 3 marks short.

But Novembers can be good. Atleast they proved to be good in my case.Got joining in Election Commission through CGL 12 and just a week later managed to get selected for Asst Cmmndt through reserve list.

So for me it wasn't lack of jobs.There were plenty of oppurtunities but guess my preparation wasn't good enough and that was surely exposed in interviews.(In HAL interview they asked simple question-what do u know abt HAL..I went to Bangalore to give interview aur yeh hi nhi pta ki yeh exactly karti kya h,bas itna pta tha ki defence ke liye helicopter banaati h)

I wrote this Ram kahaani just coz I thought there might be many going through the same phase.. Rejection,Tension,Introspection,Selection.
    Great work dude !!!! Its perseverence which pays, and so in your case.
    Someone had said very apt "whenever there is a vacancy no of seats can't be less than 1, and all you need is 1 seat"

PS: Don't cite examples which has no vacancies out of reservation :P
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.