Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Muslim World contributions to Science, Technology & Other fields

Muslim World contributions to Science, Technology & Other fields

Hey Guys, I am starting this thread to highlight the great contribution of the Muslim World in various fields. Lets have a look at various contributions made by the Muslim world.

The aromatic Coffee we drink in the morning was first discovered by the Muslims.

10th Century Muslims Mathematician, Physicist Ibn al-Haitham was the first person to discover that light enters eye on contrary to what Greek thought that our eyes emit laser rays. Chess, Camera, Elephant clock and many more.

I am sharing some links on various inventions and contributions.

//irep.iium.edu.my/8415/1/Contribution_of_Muslim_Scholars_to_the_world.pdf.

//scienceislam.com/muslims_science.php.

Please contribute to the list.

PS: Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links at the moment but please prefix http: to above links.

Thanks

Do you think that this topic is good for this forum?????????
    Yoginder Gulia

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 22nd, 2014), cooljat (July 22nd, 2014), DrRajpalSingh (July 22nd, 2014), rajpaldular (July 23rd, 2014), sanjayrathee (October 10th, 2014), sukhbirhooda (July 27th, 2014), vijaykajla1 (August 22nd, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by vk23 View Post
    Hey Guys, I am starting this thread to highlight the great contribution of the Muslim World in various fields. Lets have a look at various contributions made by the Muslim world.

The aromatic Coffee we drink in the morning was first discovered by the Muslims.

10th Century Muslims Mathematician, Physicist Ibn al-Haitham was the first person to discover that light enters eye on contrary to what Greek thought that our eyes emit laser rays. Chess, Camera, Elephant clock and many more.

I am sharing some links on various inventions and contributions.

//irep.iium.edu.my/8415/1/Contribution_of_Muslim_Scholars_to_the_world.pdf.

//scienceislam.com/muslims_science.php.

Please contribute to the list.

PS: Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links at the moment but please prefix http: to above links.

Thanks

Following link gives some glimpse of their contributions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin..._Islamic_world

I am not sure if all were Muslims. Living in Muslim countries and having Muslim sounding names does not mean they were all Muslims. Invention of number system is wrongly assigned to Arabs. Modern day numbers were invented in India and whole world accepts that now. Lot of translation was carried out in Baghdad and the very Muslims burned the famous Baghdad library. Muslim enlightenment age did not last long. How come not a single scientific discovery was made during Mughal period and Ottoman empire? How come no invention of any significance by any Muslim during last 300 years ? Hope you heard the car which runs on water and its invention by a Pakistani Muslim ? Hope you also know how even father of Pakistani nuclear bomb thought that it was possible, only to be ridiculed later by scientists word over.

Try to make a comparative study of what ancient Indians did in Science and technology to Muslim claims. Indians build the oldest residential university in the world. Indians knew about microscopic astronomy 1000s of years back and used astronomical time keeping for birth and many other life events.

If Muslims had great science and technology legacy and they were mostly under self rule, how come most of them are so backward ? Look at India of 1947 and many Muslim countries at the same time and then compare the scientific progress after that. Has any Muslim country launched a rocket to mars or moon ? Any car designed in Muslim world ? Name me anything significant from Muslim world during last 300-400 years? I know you will talk of Taj Mahal and things like that. Ever visited Ajanta Ellora caves ? Look at the famous Hindu temple of Angkot which was built around 1100 AD, much before any significant Islamic building. Temple of Konark ? As far as My views are concened, biggest contribution of Muslims is destruction, pillage, mass scale murders and nothing else.

RK^2
    Last edited by rkumar; July 22nd, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 24th, 2014), rsdalal (July 22nd, 2014), sahij (October 27th, 2014), sanjayrathee (October 10th, 2014), sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ygulia View Post
    Thread is being shifted over to General History sub forum.

No religious discourses please.

Only fact based posts supported by relevant references and authentic information are welcome.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; July 22nd, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

sanjayrathee (October 10th, 2014)

Thanks
    Friend,

Thanks for raising a good issue for discussion.

However, before marching forward, kindly define what do you mean by 'Muslim World', where it is located. In other words the universe/area of the study may be clearly mentioned along with the time period taken for discussion to make it a real contribution to general history.

The links only won't do as they are easily available by search engines like 'google'. Put your comments on the points being taken up by you, please, so that it may prove to be a good contribution.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 24th, 2014), sanjayrathee (October 10th, 2014), sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014)

chess was invented india sir .at lothal arcorigicals have found chess bord and many things related to chess.i dont know IVC peoples wer muslims.second in chance are chinese who uses a river in between of chessboard.thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to agodara For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (November 5th, 2014)

This is a very vague topic, religious institutions have no relevance in inventions as neither church, or mosques or mandirs have contributed positely to inventions, or discovery. If anything, they were an obstacle to it. To give you an example- it was inauspicious to travel by sea as per priests, catholics thought earth is flat and discouraged travellers and many more examples can be found.

So even if muslims or anyone innovated anything, they went against the whims and fancy of their priests to be called 'kafir'. No?
    सच्चे शब्दों में सच के अहसास लिखेंगे ...
    वक्त पढे जिसको कुछ इतना खास लिखेंगे...
    गीत गजल हम पर लिखेंगे लिखने वाले...
    हमने कलम उठाइ, तो इतिहास लिखेंगे...!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to desijat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    Following link gives some glimpse of their contributions.

I am not sure if all were Muslims. Living in Muslim countries and having Muslim sounding names does not mean they were all Muslims. Invention of number system is wrongly assigned to Arabs. Modern day numbers were invented in India and whole world accepts that now. Lot of translation was carried out in Baghdad and the very Muslims burned the famous Baghdad library. Muslim enlightenment age did not last long. How come not a single scientific discovery was made during Mughal period and Ottoman empire? How come no invention of any significance by any Muslim during last 300 years ? Hope you heard the car which runs on water and its invention by a Pakistani Muslim ? Hope you also know how even father of Pakistani nuclear bomb thought that it was possible, only to be ridiculed later by scientists word over.

Try to make a comparative study of what ancient Indians did in Science and technology to Muslim claims. Indians build the oldest residential university in the world. Indians knew about microscopic astronomy 1000s of years back and used astronomical time keeping for birth and many other life events.

If Muslims had great science and technology legacy and they were mostly under self rule, how come most of them are so backward ? Look at India of 1947 and many Muslim countries at the same time and then compare the scientific progress after that. Has any Muslim country launched a rocket to mars or moon ? Any car designed in Muslim world ? Name me anything significant from Muslim world during last 300-400 years? I know you will talk of Taj Mahal and things like that. Ever visited Ajanta Ellora caves ? Look at the famous Hindu temple of Angkot which was built around 1100 AD, much before any significant Islamic building. Temple of Konark ? As far as My views are concened, biggest contribution of Muslims is destruction, pillage, mass scale murders and nothing else.

RK^2
    I have not started this thread to compare Muslims with ancient Indians. You have raised a very good question on why Muslims could not continue with their achievements in the modern world. But same goes with Indians as well. Indians invented so many things but if you compare Indians with western world now, there is a significant difference in terms of inventions and contribution to science and technology. Every society in this world has been through good times and bad times. Change is constant and inevitable. So many communities have evolved throughout a long period of time. Countries in western world use to fight each other in older days and China use to be a world leader in inventions and technology. China had a very good chance of conquering the world when western world was busy in infighting. But Chinese premier did not allow China to flex arms and therefore the country remained an enclosed society. So I am not here to compare who is better than whom. The purpose of this thread is to highlight the contribution of Muslims in various fields.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Friend,

Thanks for raising a good issue for discussion.

However, before marching forward, kindly define what do you mean by 'Muslim World', where it is located. In other words the universe/area of the study may be clearly mentioned along with the time period taken for discussion to make it a real contribution to general history.

The links only won't do as they are easily available by search engines like 'google'. Put your comments on the points being taken up by you, please, so that it may prove to be a good contribution.
    Please help yourself using the link below :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world

Quote Originally Posted by desijat View Post
    This is a very vague topic, religious institutions have no relevance in inventions as neither church, or mosques or mandirs have contributed positely to inventions, or discovery. If anything, they were an obstacle to it. To give you an example- it was inauspicious to travel by sea as per priests, catholics thought earth is flat and discouraged travellers and many more examples can be found.

So even if muslims or anyone innovated anything, they went against the whims and fancy of their priests to be called 'kafir'. No?

Religion, language, region, culture clearly reflects into work and inventions. For example Arts which represents human expression. Take any example, literature, music, dance, opera etc. There is a clear influence of religion there. Similarly you would find an influence of such factors into Architecture field. The architectural work from Muslim world is very different from Western world.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vk23 For This Useful Post:

Instead of directing me to go to the given link, be good enough to specify the object and universe of study to be undertaken in General History forum of the site so that original contribution could be invited.

If we are to cut paste from the given link then no useful purpose would be served to have this thread discussion.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 24th, 2014), abhisheklakda (July 24th, 2014), rajpaldular (July 24th, 2014), sukhbirhooda (July 27th, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ygulia View Post
    I did reply to your question earlier but unfortunately moderator removed my reply without any reason. I am not sure if this post would stay here or will be deleted. The administrator has the power to make a call on my post. Apparently the owner of this site has given carte blanche to the moderators.

Please note, same rule does not apply to all members. That is my observation so far on this forum( heavily moderated).

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Instead of directing me to go to the given link, be good enough to specify the object and universe of study to be undertaken in General History forum of the site so that original contribution could be invited.

If we are to cut paste from the given link then no useful purpose would be served to have this thread discussion.
    Unfortunately I cannot do spoon-feeding here. You seem to be obsessed with the idea of vindictiveness. Otherwise you would have taken some pain to go through the ink and familiarise youself with term I have used. The way your are deleting my posts every now and then, it only suggest that my posts are not welcome here because they are against your opinions.

I did reply to your question earlier but unfortunately moderator removed my reply without any reason. .............
    Guliaji had posted his question when the thread was started by you in General discussion Forum. Since the topic has been shifted/moved to General History sub-forum, there is no relevance of your earlier or this reply.

Unfortunately I cannot do spoon-feeding here. You seem to be obsessed with the idea of vindictiveness. Otherwise you would have taken some pain to go through the ink and familiarise youself with term I have used. The way your are deleting my posts every now and then, it only suggest that my posts are not welcome here because they are against your opinions.

'Vindictiveness' for what ?

I have welcomed the starting of the thread and provided a proper placement by moving it to General History sub forum in the hope that worthwhile contribution would be made by you and other participants which is generally not possible in the General discussion section where you had started it. This according to you is my 'vindictiveness,' which leads you to deny 'spoon feeding' to me.

Kindly concentrate on the theme of the thread and come forward with reply sought for.

If you have nothing to offer in reply kindly do not indulge in wild allegations and accusations.

Since I have so far not expressed my opinion on the topic so it is wrong to assume that your ''posts are not welcome here because they are against your[i.e. my] opinion''.

Please note that none of your relevant post has been deleted.

Wish you happy participation with open mind,
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; July 24th, 2014 at 07:47 PM.

it may be good fourm but it is to be researched that all arabi was muslim???? most of arab scientist, mathematacian were atheist, and in islamic world " to be an atheist" is a crime, and punish with death

25. The Following User Says Thank You to abhisheklakda For This Useful Post:

sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by abhisheklakda View Post
    it may be good fourm but it is to be researched that all arabi was muslim???? most of arab scientist, mathematacian were atheist, and in islamic world " to be an atheist" is a crime, and punish with death
    but alchemists allowed
    they recited some kalma and finest sword in world was availablee to muslims.i.e saladin against crusaders.it was all science of steel which were known to arabbs,no offence bro thanks
    Last edited by agodara; July 25th, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agodara For This Useful Post:

cooljat (July 25th, 2014), sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014)

This source is not reliable because anyone can update the information on wikipedia. Give some authentic source link.

Yoginder Gulia

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 26th, 2014), cooljat (July 27th, 2014)

How this thread relevant to Jats?
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cooljat For This Useful Post:

AbhikRana (July 26th, 2014), sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014), sukhbirhooda (July 27th, 2014)

These m%$#&s contribute only to terrorism and hatred! Nothing else.
    Jo unke gungaan kar rhe hai yha, they are either SPians or khangress. Everyone else knows the truth.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pawandahiya For This Useful Post:

anilsangwan (August 14th, 2014), cooljat (July 27th, 2014), sahij (October 27th, 2014), sanjeev1984 (October 10th, 2014), vijaykajla1 (August 22nd, 2014)