Thread: Defamation of jats on wikipedia

Unhappy Defamation of jats on wikipedia

On wikipedia it is beautifully written that JATs were SHUDRA(untouchables). The source is UMA CHAKRAVARTI, a DU professor who wrote this in some book. However ancient history teachers at VAJIRAM ANS RAVI (civil services coaching institute) say that it is not an established fact and most likely it is wrong.Now when around half of India has already googled 'JAT', what image they have perceived about us? How could such distorted facts are written on Wikipedia. I tried hard to edit it but of no avail. So I request the powerful intellects on JATLAND here to do something about it. Please use your experience and contacts to edit it. Hopeful
    Last edited by gathwal; February 25th, 2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: grammar

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gathwal For This Useful Post:

lrburdak (August 25th, 2016)

Now I know why Mayawati supported Jats for reservation. We are one of them. I wish some how Jats can use this theory to make an alliance with Mayawati and save their political future. But unfortunately no one is going to believe that on the basis of a article quoted on Wikipedia. I really hope Indian government declares Jats as Shudras that will put us in the bigger quota for reservation. All of India is calling Jats as too dominant and prosper from News to social media and you are worrying about few lines on Wikipedia ??

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SumitSingh2016 For This Useful Post:

rekhasmriti (February 25th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by gathwal View Post
    On wikipedia it is beautifully written that JATs were SHUDRA(untouchables). The source is UMA CHAKRAVARTI, a DU professor who wrote this in some book. However ancient history teachers at VAJIRAM ANS RAVI (civil services coaching institute) say that it is not an established fact and most likely it is wrong.Now when around half of India has already googled 'JAT', what image they have perceived about us? How could such distorted facts are written on Wikipedia. I tried hard to edit it but of no avail. So I request the powerful intellects on JATLAND here to do something about it. Please use your experience and contacts to edit it. I have a lot of hope from you.
    Shudra was not untouchable , shudra in varna hierarchy was a social group which was supposed to serve other 3 viz brahman ,kshatriya and vis . untouchables were those who were out of pale of caste system they were also known as other names such as panchamas , malecchas . that is why there is a constitutional term 'scheduled castes' for them which is a legal term to integrate them in larger hindu society i.e caste . because there was no caste name for untouchables/panchamas , constitution gave them caste name and it appeared in a schedule of constitution hence the name S.C.
    Also you can go by elimination

Are jats brahmins ? NO

Are jats kshattriyas ? Well some people might have a misconception . majority of jats have been agriculturist and not the mercenaries like kshatriyas . There are instances jats having common names with rajputs e.g. Tomar . there are some isolated instances of a group capturing political power and employing brahmins to latch them to rajput lines of solar or lunar dynasties . they invented genealogies to gain legitimacy as only the kshatriya was allowed to become administrators according to hindu tradition .
    it should be kept in mind that while the elite who captured power gained social mobility his kin groups remained at the same status .So jats are not kshatriyas .

Are jats vishya ? no . hereditary occupation of jats was not trade and commerce .

Are jats untouchables/panchamas ? No . untouchability was worst form of social exclusion , never faced by jats .

Are jats shudras ? you decide

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndhillon For This Useful Post:

Arvindc (February 25th, 2016), lrburdak (October 19th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ndhillon View Post
    Shudra was not untouchable , shudra in varna hierarchy was a social group which was supposed to serve other 3 viz brahman ,kshatriya and vis . untouchables were those who were out of pale of caste system they were also known as other names such as panchamas , malecchas . that is why there is a constitutional term 'scheduled castes' for them which is a legal term to integrate them in larger hindu society i.e caste . because there was no caste name for untouchables/panchamas , constitution gave them caste name and it appeared in a schedule of constitution hence the name S.C.

Are jats brahmins ? NO

Are jats kshattriyas ? Well some people might have a misconception . majority of jats have been agriculturist and not the mercenaries like kshatriyas . There are instances jats having common names with rajputs e.g. Tomar . there are some isolated instances of a group capturing political power and employing brahmins to latch them to rajput lines of solar or lunar dynasties . they invented genealogies to gain legitimacy as only the kshatriya was allowed to become administrators according to hindu tradition .
    it should be kept in mind that while the elite who captured power gained social mobility his kin groups remained at the same status .So jats are not kshatriyas .

Are jats vishya ? no . hereditary occupation of jats was not trade and commerce .

Are jats untouchables/panchamas ? No . untouchability was worst form of social exclusion , never faced by jats .

"The Hindu varna system is unclear on Jat status within the caste system. Some sources state that Jats are regarded as Kshatriyas[71] or "degraded Kshatriyas" who, as they did not observe Brahmanic rites and rituals, had fallen to the status of Shudra.[72]Uma Chakravarti reports that the varna status of the Jats improved over time, with the Jats starting in theuntouchable/chandala varna during the eighth century, changing to shudra status by the 11th century, and with some Jats striving for zamindar status after the Jat rebellion of the 17th century." -this is what exactly written on wikipedia.

This is what I am saying , if jats were never untouchables then why it is written there? We people know about our status very well .
    Is it just for someone to write false facts?

Plus nowadays almost everyone depend on wikipedia to know about the new things.

Sir, I would like to know if anything can be done regarding this wrong information/fact ?

Quote Originally Posted by SumitSingh2016 View Post
    Now I know why Mayawati supported Jats for reservation. We are one of them. I wish some how Jats can use this theory to make an alliance with Mayawati and save their political future. But unfortunately no one is going to believe that on the basis of a article quoted on Wikipedia. I really hope Indian government declares Jats as Shudras that will put us in the bigger quota for reservation. All of India is calling Jats as too dominant and prosper from News to social media and you are worrying about few lines on Wikipedia ??
    Sir, you are right but we can not ignore a website having millions of hits per day. It all about wiping off false facts targeting our legacy. Does not it matter?
    Last edited by gathwal; February 25th, 2016 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndhillon View Post

Are jats brahmins ? NO

jats can not be classified by the varna system....because they never accepted brahmanic varna hierarchy in past........this debate is futile...

.and what you said in Kshatriyas paragraph...that's more true for all rajputs also (who claim themselves Kshatriyas).............there are not ISOLATED cases of jats capturing power....ancient history is full of the jats people who were kings...even if we ignore "maurya" still dharan guptas, harshavardhan, shalender, yashodharman..and may more are considered jats..............entire jangladesh in rajasthan was ruled by Jats before rajputs...rajputs is a very late term..so jats were ancient kings...........it' s up to you if you call them Kshatriyas as per varna...or simply foreigners/Buddhists/malechaas who captured power.........................we are not inferior in any way..and this fight goes on...jast versus others...................

definitely jats are not an elite class but undoubtedly by physical structure, facial look, fierceness and bravery ..they are one of the finest kaum of this country..........so answer is quite simple.........jats don't lie in any varna
    Last edited by prashantacmet; February 25th, 2016 at 03:24 PM.
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (February 25th, 2016), Arvindc (February 27th, 2016), AryanPoonia (February 25th, 2016), cooljat (February 25th, 2016), ygulia (February 25th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    jats can not be classified by the varna system....because they never accepted brahmanic varna hierarchy in past........this debate is futile...

.and what you said in Kshatriyas paragraph...that's more true for all rajputs also (who claim themselves Kshatriyas).............there are not ISOLATED cases of jats capturing power....ancient history is full of the jats people who were kings...even if we ignore "maurya" still dharan guptas, harshavardhan, shalender, yashodharman..and may more are considered jats..............entire jangladesh in rajasthan was ruled by Jats before rajputs...rajputs is a very late term..so jats were ancient kings...........it' s up to you if you call them Kshatriyas as per varna...or simply foreigners/Buddhists/malechaas who captured power.........................we are not inferior in any way..and this fight goes on...jast versus others...................

definitely jats are not an elite class but undoubtedly by physical structure, facial look, fierceness and bravery ..they are one of the finest kaum of this country..........so answer is quite simple.........jats don't lie in any varna

bhai ye jo apne likha hai, kya apko nhi lagta ki ye sab baatein jatland ke alawa wikipedia par bhi honi chahiye

because i do not think any non-jat read this forum...so wouldn't it be better if it reach to the masses??

Wiki edit hona hi chahiye, otherwise this glory of ours is of no importance if wikipedia says our legacy is of UNTOUCHABLES

P.S. - "Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles"

still we got nothing against it despite being such a large community of educated people

I feel all are equal but does not mean accepting distorted theory and wrong explanation of history, i have seen lot of praises and warm welcome everywhere i went as we are jat or friends treated as jat and many other people even telling inspiring things about us but on that site it is written wrong.In western UP and till Haryana and even Punjab we need no explanation but i have been to many places people have no or very less knowledge about us and even havnt heard of us in many cases but they see few things like surname or other things they inform us by checking google you are that/that, and googling it makes misconception i have seen somebody doing the same very recently and mentioning we are low level people this and that i have explained i lot there but one on one not possible go everywhere and change newly made perception, we are increasing by not taking action at least. Its sure young guys from us when they go out for jobs may surely face somethings because of these things because i have seen that.
    Getting out of folds of varna ok and many consider us superior then all four varna i have seen people like that also but Kshatriya simply means fighting and ruling class so for both who feel above varna or inside varna it is clearly showing a fighting class as well.i think if somebody says or writes wrong there is no point to accept it, we are living in India and situation till 100 next more years will not change all politics if based on ethnic groups at most places and people might loose pride when socializing with other people and same may give prickly pain.

for just Example: one player hitting 200 runs is double century and suppose same guy hitting 10 double centuries its great thing, but when people writing articles he does not have ability to make one century hurts because they dont understand he made 10 centuries then he went for double centuries so he has already done it, then at least those fools should be given example and statement to prove they are wrong.We aslo need to put books and examples and need to remove

My point here is the same we are Kshatriya+ if you guys believing its greater than that even better but not less than the first..

Its my first case when i am seeing guys who talk for not taking any action because it does not seem to bother more, in my life so far all people i faced know we are fighting klan or Kshatriya but all people in all the states in our country are not historian and will not search books to know who we are, they become judgmental and we can then see it in further social activities.

Again i request all of you not accepting wrong things what people spreading out we must change or restore back to normal statement wherever being seeing on net if editing permission available there we we are famous for "ek bar ed ge to ed ge".

Thanks & best regards.
    Last edited by akmworld; August 20th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

friends its some work(uploaded image below) thats done by james Tod in 18th century based upon what he studied, he refereed Jat by Jit.
    even in recorded history till independence jats were never recorded in bad condition(i mean not recorded like servants to masters kind of things) where they were servant to other and they were dominant agriculturalists and some places having some armies as well, always having good range of land and power and many other tribes worked at their farms time to time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image1.gif 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	18871
    Last edited by akmworld; August 24th, 2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: missed the word

15. The Following User Says Thank You to akmworld For This Useful Post:

lrburdak (August 25th, 2016)

We have lot of content written by James Tod see links below. You may use this matter to improve Wikipedia article.

Laxman Burdak

Quote Originally Posted by gathwal View Post
    "The Hindu varna system is unclear on Jat status within the caste system. Some sources state that Jats are regarded as Kshatriyas[71] or "degraded Kshatriyas" who, as they did not observe Brahmanic rites and rituals, had fallen to the status of Shudra.[72]Uma Chakravarti reports that the varna status of the Jats improved over time, with the Jats starting in theuntouchable/chandala varna during the eighth century, changing to shudra status by the 11th century, and with some Jats striving for zamindar status after the Jat rebellion of the 17th century." -this is what exactly written on wikipedia.

This is what I am saying , if jats were never untouchables then why it is written there? We people know about our status very well .
    Is it just for someone to write false facts?

Plus nowadays almost everyone depend on wikipedia to know about the new things.

Sir, I would like to know if anything can be done regarding this wrong information/fact ?

Wikipedia has referred - Chakravarti, Uma (2003). Gendering caste through a feminist lens (1. repr. ed.). Calcutta: Stree. ISBN 978-81-85604-54-1.

Can somebody go through the book and see what is written there in the book ?
    Laxman Burdak