Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sir / Ma'am .......are these Prefix bother me only or someone else as well

Sir / Ma'am .......are these Prefix bother me only or someone else as well

Just my opinion only .....

I am working for quite a long time and I always made sure none of my Drs would ever call me Ma'am , I rather bash them if they do so.

Trust it takes lots of efforts .....still.....my day starts with Ma'am and end with Ma'am .

Recently I was taking one Interview ( fyi my recruiters hate me as I rarely shortlist anyone ) , in an hour of Interview he called me xillion times ma'am . Moment i ended interview I rejected him and told my recruiter I do not want Ma'am kinds in my team .

Then she just made me realised Smriti it is not him it is you who is the problem .

That made me think .....M i the only one who get agitated by calling as Sir or Ma'am .

Or there are others as well .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

In corporate we generally avoid these Sir/Ma'm type formalities. However, there are people who become upset when someone calls them by their name. It's purely a personal choice.
    There are people who feel proud when someone calls them Sir/Ma'm. It gives immense pleasure to their inbuilt ego which comes from their designation/position in corporate.

It doesn't seem a good idea to reject a candidate solely on his/her choice of words to address his interviewer. Being a candidate he/she would be clueless about his interviewer likes or dislikes.
    However, when a candidate calls his/her interviewer by name, it shows that candidate is full of confidence.
    Benefit of doubt can be given to candidate. These Sir/Ma'm type of things can be asked to avoid once he/she becomes your team member.
    I have a fine sense of the ridiculous, but no sense of humor.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ayushkadyan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rekhasmriti (April 23rd, 2016), vijaypooniya (April 24th, 2016)

Guilty as charged...n was accused by many.....I m the worst interviewer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post
    Guilty as charged...n was accused by many.....I m the worst interviewer
    Dear Ma'am (Oops Smriti),

If you don't like being called Ma'am, its always better to tell the person on the other side to call you by name. If he or she still calls you Ma'am just interrupt them and after couple of time they will not call you Ma'am.
    Last edited by akshaymalik84; April 24th, 2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Missed F in If
    The word "EQUAL" has no meaning in human life

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to akshaymalik84 For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), ndalal (April 25th, 2016), rekhasmriti (April 24th, 2016), rskankara (April 25th, 2016), ssgoyat (April 24th, 2016)

Kuch saal pehle tak to log sir/madam use kiya karte the. Abb western world ko follow karne ke baad ye sab ho raha hai. Bottom line wahi hai ki jisko jo accha lage ya suit kare wo bolo ya suno.
    Last edited by amitbudhwar; April 24th, 2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Har Har Modi, Ghar Ghar Modi.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Pehle colleges mei ragging hoti thi abb dheere dheere wo khatam ho rahi hai. Senior Junior hi chalta tha colleges mei, abb wo trend nahi raha.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Dear Akshay ,

It does not happen 1st time . However people often judge me before even knowing me .

Boss I have told him in first initial 2 min , then kept reminding till 15 minutes . I know I m cruel person but don't expect him to be Antaryami .
    After that I left ....humsei na ho payega . Also at end he shared weird reason of calling ma'am stating he respect Woman .
    N i was like what the $#%#$%#$^$^ , means those who call by 1st name they meant any disrespect .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post
    I have told him in first initial 2 min , then kept reminding till 15 minutes . I know I m cruel person but don't expect him to be Antaryami .
    After that I left ....humsei na ho payega . Also at end he shared weird reason of calling ma'am stating he respect Woman .
    N i was like what the $#%#$%#$^$^ , means those who call by 1st name they meant any disrespect .
    Then you took a right decision. Despite being instructed not to repeat something, the candidate could not compel with the instructions. Either he was lacking on confidence or had a low IQ.
    In corporate world, Sir/Ma'am has nothing to do with a person's respect/disrespect. Using Sir/Ma'm to address a senior depends on what culture is being practiced/or what you want to practice within the office.

Good luck for your candidate search. By the way you didn't mention the profile of the interviewed candidate.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayushkadyan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rekhasmriti (April 24th, 2016)

Then you took a right decision.

Thank you so much ...kissi toh laga i made right decision .

I owe for this input ( thoda over ho gaya but its okay )

Looking to Sr Executive HR - ER profile .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

मैं नहीं समझता कि सर/मै'म पुकारे जाने से किसी को कोई खिन्नता होनी चाहिए। जिन सम्बोधनों से कुछ लोगों को खिन्नता होती है, वे 'अंकल/आंटी' हैं। जो लोग दुकानदार हैं या ऐसे कामों में हैं, जिनमें पब्लिक डीलिंग ज्यादा है, उन्हें इन सम्बोधनों का ज्यादा सामना करना पड़ता है। मैं कई बार मुस्कराकर रह जाता हूं, जब कोई 50 साल का शख्स किसी 35-40 साल के दुकानदार को अंकल कहकर कोई सामान मांगता है। जो लोग अपने जीवन में कई तरह की गंभीर समस्याओं से घिरे होते हैं तो उनका मकसद दूसरों को ज्यादा से ज्यादा किलसाना हो जाता है। इसके लिए अंकल/आंटी जैसे सम्बोधन बहुत अच्छे हथियार हैं।
    यदि किसी को अंकल/आंटी जैसे सम्बोधनों से ठेस पहुंचती है तो वे परेशान होने से पहले यह जरूर अहसास कर लें कि बच्चों को छोड़कर अंकल/आंटी किसी को भी कहा जा सकता है, भले ही वो कितना ही आकर्षक क्यों न दिखता/दिखती हो। अब यह आप पर है कि आप ऐसे सम्बोधन के बाद मुस्कराकर रह जाते हैं या फिर परेशान हो जाते हैं। यह स्थिति सभी के साथ आती है, लेकिन सबसे ज्यादा परेशान दुकानदार या पब्लिक डीलिंग वाले होते हैं, क्योंकि उनका इंसान से ज्यादा वास्ता पड़ता है और इंसान बहुत ही खुराफाती होता है। इस स्थिति से निपटने का सबसे अच्छा तरीका यह है कि सामने वाले को हरगिज यह अहसास न होने दें कि आपको अंकल/आंटी के सम्बोधन से ठेस पहुंची है, नहीं तो उसका मकसद पूरा हो जाएगा।

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to upendersingh For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rakeshsehrawat (April 30th, 2016), rskankara (April 25th, 2016), ssgoyat (April 25th, 2016)

Using prefix like Sir/Madam is common in working culture so there is nothing wrong if someone is trying to show respect. Maybe that's their way of showing decency in a conversation. Even in corporate world, nobody likes if a stranger comes casually and asks "Who is X here ? I want to talk to him." So, some sort of formality is still needed.

I do agree that even after telling to avoid such formality it should be avoided, at least in person to person conversations. Moreover, it may feel annoying if a person starts and ends his every sentence with such Prefix. This is due to either lack of confidence or pure flattery and most of the people don't like that at first place in any working culture.

But, still there are some departments where addressing your seniors with a prefix is crucial and necessary. Best example is Defense.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vijay For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Smriti madam, lagata hai ki kaam kaa kuchh jyadaa hi pressure hai aap par... islie to itani senior hote hue bhee is chhoti see baat par gussaa aa gyaa ........... I understand that surely there would be some other decisive observations such as low confidence, superficial knowledge, team work, experience etc, in the background while taking a right decision... otherwise rejecting a person just because interviewer does not like being called as sir or /ma'am is not justifiable by any means.....
    जाट के ठाठ हैं .....

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rskankara For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 25th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

It is normal practice to use Sir/Madam for a stranger, your client/customer or guest (not familiar with you). Calling by first name is common among colleagues, friends and people in close circle.
    Yoginder Gulia

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 25th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Now it's time for "Political Tadka"

She is looking for a candidate who has courage like Modi to call Barack Obama by his first name. 😁😁

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayushkadyan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rekhasmriti (April 25th, 2016)

बेरा ना हरियाणा मै जब लोग बाबू ने और दादा नै "तूं" कह कै संबोधन करै हैं तो लोग जाहिल क्यों समझै हैं?
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rakeshsehrawat For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 25th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rskankara (April 25th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rakeshsehrawat View Post
    बेरा ना हरियाणा मै जब लोग बाबू ने और दादा नै "तूं" कह कै संबोधन करै हैं तो लोग जाहिल क्यों समझै हैं?
    hahaha, bro, you have a very good sense of humor! Kayi jobs mei 'great sense of humor' ki bhi requirement hoya kare, lol!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rakeshsehrawat (April 30th, 2016)

That is wrong observation of the people. In Punjabi common word is used as " "Tussi" while in English it is "you". People should not compare Haryanvi language with Hindi to draw such conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeshsehrawat View Post
    Yoginder Gulia

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Gulia Ji, Our Hindi ( Devnagri ) Language is much more powerful and apt than any other language in the world as we have separate word for each and everything.

We use Tu, Tum, Aap, Tham (Haryanvi) or Tussi (Punjabi) while English have only one word i.e. You. In the same way, English just provide Uncle and Aunt while we have so many distinguished and particular names for every relation.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vijay For This Useful Post:

ayushkadyan (April 25th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), vijaypooniya (April 25th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rskankara View Post
    Smriti madam, lagata hai ki kaam kaa kuchh jyadaa hi pressure hai aap par... islie to itani senior hote hue bhee is chhoti see baat par gussaa aa gyaa ........... I understand that surely there would be some other decisive observations such as low confidence, superficial knowledge, team work, experience etc, in the background while taking a right decision... otherwise rejecting a person just because interviewer does not like being called as sir or /ma'am is not justifiable by any means.....
    very right. The interviewer must not impose his likes-dislikes and should judge his talent and moral qualities instead that are in the interest of the firm

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dahiyavijay7 For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rakeshsehrawat (April 30th, 2016)

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dahiyavijay7 For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)