Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sir / Ma'am .......are these Prefix bother me only or someone else as well

I promote culture of equality at my work place , just coz I happen to be at 1-2 step higher in ladder does not mean I m superior and should be called as Sir / Ma'am .

Trust nobody calls Smriti as Ma'am ......they calling me as Ma'am coz I m person of authority . Its the designation .

In my experience .....who calls Sir / Ma'am trust they want hear same as well .
    Last edited by rekhasmriti; April 26th, 2016 at 01:18 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

ayushkadyan (April 26th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Smriti

I cannot add a suffix as Ji when I am in an interview. I am completely unaware what culture the organization follows. Interviewer does not know what working culture is present in interviewee current organization. Yes few over enthusiats may keep on saying sir/madam even after telling them not to do so, but if they are paused just when they sir/madam it should help them stop saying it next time.

In any case rejecting a candidate just because they keep on saying sir/madam is unethical on part of the person taking interview. Let them say sir/madam, just ignore it. You are hiring a person who should be good for organization business based on his/her talent, not for yourself.

Best way to avoid being labelled as buttering person, just address with name and append sir/madam. Both would be at peace. I never expect people to call me sir, but I do call my superiors with name and suffix them with sir/madam just to show my gratitude to a person who is more learned and experienced than me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pawandahiya For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 26th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti

Moment i ended interview I rejected him and told my recruiter I do not want Ma'am kinds in my team .
    If you are an employer surely you could have your own terms and conditions for recruitment. But if you are an employee, and you rejected a person just because he called you Ma'am during an interview, then I don't think its fair to reject a person for that reason only. Better revisit criteria set by your employer to hire a person. What values more, skills sets, interpersonal skills etc and shortlist according to the merit.
    Har Har Modi, Ghar Ghar Modi.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by amitbudhwar View Post
    If you are an employer surely you could have your own terms and conditions for recruitment. But if you are an employee, and you rejected a person just because he called you Ma'am during an interview, then I don't think its fair to reject a person for that reason only. Better revisit criteria set by your employer to hire a person. What values more, skills sets, interpersonal skills etc and shortlist according to the merit.
    I think you didn't notice she is hiring for HR profile. HR candidates specially for ER profile are meant to be very prompt n responsive to the given instructions. The interviewed candidate seemed to be a "Tubelight". Hence, deserves rejection.
    I have a fine sense of the ridiculous, but no sense of humor.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayushkadyan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rekhasmriti (April 26th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post
    I promote culture of equality at my work place , just coz I happen to be at 1-2 step higher in ladder does not mean I m superior and should be called as Sir / Ma'am .

Trust nobody calls Smriti as Ma'am ......they calling me as Ma'am coz I m person of authority . Its the designation .

In my experience .....who calls Sir / Ma'am trust they want hear same as well .
    There are many person who feel offended when somebody lower in rank calls him/her by name without suffixing sir/ma'am. Further it seems rude to call a women by her name. Name of a girl/women is used by very close person, and it seems quite awkward if some outsider call her by name

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dahiyavijay7 For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

" offended when somebody lower in rank calls him/her by name without suffixing sir/ma'am."
    So who is is at fault somebody who has high ego of his position or other one .
    I already explained .....it is the position not people .

"Further it seems rude to call a women by her name"
    That's why we often address women Ms. Balhara .

"Name of a girl/women is used by very close person"
    Correction close ones , my colleagues , VP whole leadership team call me Smriti . In majority of my meetings within or outside they call me Smriti .
    Trust not a single soul is so called close to me . As per your statement I must feel offended ....how dare they call me Smriti .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Depends on culture,values and beliefs that one shares. Indian corporate culture comes from British established companies or those who were followers of British culture. Further new companies were started by Japanese in collaboration with Indian companies. Again Japanese are name of people with a unique culture they pay and expect respect in return using word 'SAN' which did not go well with indians. At the same time there was rise of private schools which enroots the words Sir Ma'am not madam to basic manners changed to miss at some schools. This way of adaption of British English give way for call centre and IT industry to boom. Later came American and European companies where people prefer to call one another by miss and Mr. First or last name depending on choice. Everyone have choice to refer someone as ma'am sir or as miss or Mr. People going for interview should check background of company and try to get some basic knowledge of culture of that perticular company.
    Anyways for the offended also guidelines it is always better to look at positive qualities of job seekers as you may change from ma'am to miss easily but it is not necessary that the one who called you as ma'am is inferior in his work abilities. Culture of a company can be easily adapted by people.
    And for writer would you like if your children call your husband and you as 'TU' or teachers as master ji and masterni ji or behanji.
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rakeshsehrawat For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 30th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Culture plays greatest part specifically for Senior Management or Specific Skill Set Profiles

I have seen many people failing in adjusting , and deciding to part ways in short while . Their reason has always been could not adjust with culture . Those who recruit they know - how difficult is to close any Senior Management or Specific Skill Set Requisition .

For any IC role it is always easy - they have their own Goal Sheets own liberty work from home no team no interaction etc

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

सुनलो रै सारे ध्यान तैं कोएसा मैडम नै मैडम नही कह देगा
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rakeshsehrawat For This Useful Post:

amitbudhwar (April 30th, 2016), gsolanki9063 (May 15th, 2016), hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rekhasmriti (May 1st, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rakeshsehrawat View Post
    Depends on culture,values and beliefs that one shares. Indian corporate culture comes from British established companies or those who were followers of British culture. Further new companies were started by Japanese in collaboration with Indian companies. Again Japanese are name of people with a unique culture they pay and expect respect in return using word 'SAN' which did not go well with indians. At the same time there was rise of private schools which enroots the words Sir Ma'am not madam to basic manners changed to miss at some schools. This way of adaption of British English give way for call centre and IT industry to boom. Later came American and European companies where people prefer to call one another by miss and Mr. First or last name depending on choice. Everyone have choice to refer someone as ma'am sir or as miss or Mr. People going for interview should check background of company and try to get some basic knowledge of culture of that perticular company.
    Anyways for the offended also guidelines it is always better to look at positive qualities of job seekers as you may change from ma'am to miss easily but it is not necessary that the one who called you as ma'am is inferior in his work abilities. Culture of a company can be easily adapted by people.
    And for writer would you like if your children call your husband and you as 'TU' or teachers as master ji and masterni ji or behanji.
    Well summed up my friend. I do agree with you on majority of points you have raised about culture. While reading news today, I came across this article:

The man who owns 94% of Patanjali Ayurved

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/52047722.cms

Excerpt:

Haridwar: Acharya Balkrishna, the man behind Patanjali Ayurved's stratospheric success, is unlike any traditional CEO. At 43, he may have many contemporaries, but his management style differs vastly. Although Balkrishna uses an iPhone, his work station doesn't have a computer. That's not all. Attired in a traditional white kurta and dhoti, he prefers to read from printouts stacked on his desk and speaks largely in pure Hindi.A confidant of Baba Ramdev, Balkrishna holds a 94% stake in Patanjali Ayurved, but he doesn't take home a salary. Yet, he works for 15 hours a day, even on Sundays and other holidays during the year. He claims he hasn't taken a single day's leave either. "I work daily from 7 am to 10 pm. While a normal person would work for 8 hours a day, I work for 15 hours through the week. I am doing the job of five people,"

And some last bits:

"Swamiji says, 'karz se kaam karo. Loan lene se dimag theek rehta hai'," he said.

The work culture too is unique. Everyone is greeted with an 'Om'. There are restrictions on eating meat, smoking and drinking. However, Patanjali Ayurved boasts of a gender diversity ratio of 30:70. Patanjali is not a great pay master though. Balkrishna said people come to work here with a sentiment to serve.

To us, a workaholic Balkrishna didn't look a wee bit tired or sleep deprived. For someone who works 15 hours a day, what about work-life balance? "I enjoy it. It is like picnic for me," Balkrishna said, flashing a Dant Kanti smile.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

i have seen inquiries in which this was a main allegation. Lady blamed her boss as well as subordinate that she was called by them without prefix of "Madam" or a suffix of "Ji". calling a lady by her first name in India (specially in Govt sector) comes under violence against women at work.
    The never-ending task : Self Improvement

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sanjeev_balyan For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rakeshsehrawat (May 1st, 2016)

" calling a lady by her first name in India (specially in Govt sector) comes under violence against women at work."

This is new......trust was not aware of it .

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

corporate jagat se bahar jhank kar dekho to jyadatar jagaho par naam ke saath me ji ya madam kahana kaa hi chalan hai........
    " calling a lady by her first name in India (specially in Govt sector) comes under violence against women at work."

This is new......trust was not aware of it .

जाट के ठाठ हैं .....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to rskankara For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Thread close kar dijiye .....I finally hired some one )

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Thread close kar dijiye .....I finally hired some one )
    Congratulations! Probably this time successful candidate obeyed your instructions. Also discussions under this thread might have helped you in one way or the other. Not saying that you discuss all that again.Let's focus on other important topics which will change the fate of country.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amitbudhwar For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), rakeshsehrawat (May 10th, 2016)

" which will change the fate of country"

No Offence .....but this was good.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

बधाई हो स्मृति जी । जाटलेंड का यह धागा अन्तह तुम्हें मनमाफिक और उप्रयुक्त उम्मीदवार तक पहुँचाने में कामयाब रहा।। अब लड्डू तो बँटबा दो जाटलेंड पर, धागे को बन्द करने से पहले ।। हा हा QUOTE=rekhasmriti;384709]Thread close kar dijiye .....I finally hired some one )[/QUOTE]
    जाट के ठाठ हैं .....

34. The Following User Says Thank You to rskankara For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Mithayee toh Banti hai .....but mera GPRS itna strong nahi ki Chennai tak pahunch jaye .

36. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016)

Yo Rakhi Sawant barga tagga padh ke suvaad aa gaya....

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ssgoyat For This Useful Post:

hrdhaka (May 22nd, 2016), ndalal (May 16th, 2016), rekhasmriti (May 16th, 2016)