Thread: A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle

Let me tell you a story about some special people. Sometimes they are called "retarded"...
    A few years ago, at the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.
    At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled and tumbled over and, began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry.
    They slowed down and looked back. Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them. One girl with Down's syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better."
    Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are telling the story.
    Why? Because deep down we know this one thing ! What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.If you pass this on, we may be able to change our hearts as well as someone else's...............
    "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Vichitra
    very nice
    I join with you to light another candle to help other- who are not so lucky.
    Jay Jawan Jay Kisan Jay Shaheed

Great thread

My dear Vichitra,

A great thread in all respects...............keep it up!
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Well first thing, nice and emotional story. For this particular seattle race, the actions can be bit justified, but in life, if people started slowing down for others, then i wonder what effect it has on the the competition. People compete with each other to obtain the sense of supremacy over others and to achieve self confidence and gains. Without competition, WHAT A WORLD IT WILL BE!!! Rule of nature - COMPETITION.
    Nature balances in the form of extremes. Weak has to either cease or to lift himself up!! Weak has to stop begging others for help and success, gotta do it by himself. Every human being has the gift of working hard and VISION. He should use it to evolve, not rely on others for help all the time. By helping the weak all the time, we are making him more weaker every second and are depriving him the sense of ACCOMPLISHMENT.
    Consider the wild life, if a lion is chasing deers, faster deers would't slow down for the weaker ones. Faster one will escape, slower ones will cease - RULE OF NATURE. So i believe the statement "What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course" may not be totally naturally true. It surely sounds good and touches some emotions though.
    We should praise INDIA for declining the foreign aid and help for sunami and not relying on outside help....It has gained India respect all over the world.

Abhishek,
    I believe u got it (this article)all wrong.I agree with you there is competition in every field at every step in life. We can't wait for others,otherwise we will lag.To rise, we need to beat others................
    Let me explain you my point by giving you a simple example from our site jatland.com
    It's been like three -four months i am following this site and i comes u to know
    couple of days back , theres Mr. Rajender who is opening a cancer hospital
    for poor in his village. Another guy from jind trying his level best for his district jind, so that he can do a bit. Theres an army major
    Kulwant, who comes to know that some guy needs legal advice, he assures
    his help to him, u see many cases in this site people coming forward and
    offering scholarships and others..........................and many others...more
    These people are coming out of their block to help others............though these people are having competition in their own fields and these guys are tough competitors.............but look at the way they r coming out of their
    comfort zones ...................just for humanity...............for the purpose
    of giving back to the society..........................thats wat is meant by
    "A candle looses nothing by lightning another candle"
    When the going gets tough, the tough gets going !

Nicely Explained

Good Sandeep............nicely Explained...........hope You Got It Abhishek. Happy Jats Are Learning All Good.................thank You God, Please Bless Us...............................! It Is Also A Candle Dears.....................is Not It?

Go On>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Win The Sky

Login to view details.
    lol....i think u have got it wrong mr. Sandeep and mr. Dev.....take it easy..i am also not a "HARD HEARTED DEVIL" by myself...but philosphy is business. look, opening hospital for the poor and helping the needed ones is entirely is in no contrast to the theme of the story....the story starts with a race in seattle and ends with an emotional melodrama, with everyone quitting the race and helping the ones who fell back. then the point "change ur winning path for others (Race started ..GO!!!....Hey STOP!! go back...wait until all the people have caught up...then start race...Hey...STOP again...someone again was left behind..what a FUSS!!) does't go along the theme. I also believe that the moral of story "Candle.......//" is not the right morale for this scenario. It should be "Everyone can win like this!!". I only said that too much dependence kills a person's self respect. I never said that if a person is in dire need of help and if you are capable of pulling them out of trouble then don't help. Help...but to an extend...don't be too selfish and try to be a GODFATHER by protecting others...Give others a chance...!!!
    In the beginning itself i knew that my writing will surely draw criticism, but try to look complete picture. If next time u saw a beggar who begs everyday from you and before giving, if u make the other person work for the money, then my writing will be worth the criticism it drew... and pls don't be BIASED by your extreme emotions.

Please Relax Bhai

My dear Abhishek,

You really made a mess of it.Who said that one should become godfather of humanity? And nobody passed any personal remark against you but still you remarks smell revenge??? The simple thing advocated in the thread is," PLEASE HELP THE NEEDY,WHEREVER YOU CAN." ....Needy here means a person really needing push and not every beggar who might be collecting money for his evening dose of drug. Please relax and read it again.....nobody has challenged you towards such an aggression.

regards
    Last edited by devdahiya; January 24th, 2005 at 06:20 PM.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Many army units had done extremely well, whether it was a war, or peace situation. Whether it was riot control or a flood control mission. The question is how and why? The answer is a team spirit. They carry their weaks along with their strong people.

While the competition is very important, one has to see at what cost? Many a cases in competition people land up using unfair means and then comfort themselves by saying "Every thing is fair in love and war" they even modified it to use words like, business, politics and what not. The moral of the story was not to leave the competition, but to prove, that you loose nothing by helping others.

Thanks Vichitra for a very nice story and message.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".

Login to view details.

A different end to story

lol.......I have read the article again, nothing different i saw, so recommending to read it again and again is not going to help for sure. Also, REVENGE would't be a good word to explain the aggressive writing style.
    Dev bhai...Just want to CLEAR one thing AGAIN "I am not against humanity,helping others, or against this article. I also believe that "A candle loses nothing by lightning others" But, I strongly suggest that help those who really need and only to the limit where you don't make anyone dependent on you. I just like another ending to this story, where instead of lifting the poor boy who fell on the ground,everyone should have shouted and encouraged him to get up and finish the race (only, ofcourse if his leg is not broken, if broken then a doctor would help). That would have generated a sense of self accomplishment and pride in the boy, which he would have remembered his entire life. when other competitors stopped for our poor fellow, he must have surely felt loved for a while but not for long, it must have also generated a feeling of being pathetic and doing everything wrong, a person who can't even finish the race by himself. Surely more depressing for him the next day. Strong emotional support was all he needed to feel better about himself. I just believe that the story had little to do with "Candle" theme. Please keep bringing contrasting views, it adds flavor to the conversation.
    ...every vote and view counts in the end.
    Last edited by cityboy; January 25th, 2005 at 04:46 AM.

Worth reading

Great Article