Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge to Jatland Youth - Time for Action

Dr. Birbal Singh (Aug 03, 2004 09:55 a.m.):

But when I look from the point of view that what could be accomplished through the joint effort of all the talented young people on this site then I feel rather disappointed. There has not been a united effort to pool the talent on the site.

So, I am writing this post to challenge the youthful, talented and energetic members that instead of spending time on writing silly posts do something more productive. I see immense opportunities in the next economic upswing and you have all the resources to take advantage of it.

Here is my suggestion:

Schedule sessions for brainstorming to come up with a plan to use the technical talent and financial resources available through the site. We have talented people from many fields on this site and there is lot of potential for synergy.

Let us do something meaningful rather than wasing time on writing silly posts.

Birbal Singh
    Mr. Birbal Singh/Anil, I have been keeping abreast of the string of posts on this topic and even though my initial interest had been till now caught up with the very positive initiative of this post...of course one cannot blame me now to slowly lose interest with the very 'techie' recent strings, which are not at all down my line....

In any case, I come from an Architectural and Design background and even though I am not sure if there are more people here with the same interests....I am gonna post some details anyways, just in case it starts another string of queries and dialouge and/or if I can be of any help to anyone:

Here goes:

Bachelors in Architecture: Institute of Environmental Design, Anand (Gujarat)
    Masters in Arch. (Suburb & Town Design): University of Miami, FL USA

-Shailendra
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Dr. Birbal Singh (Aug 03, 2004 09:55 a.m.):
    Believe me, if needed, lot of venture capital (millions of Dollars) can be raised from this site alone.
    Birbal Singh

Any idea on how to raise millions of Dollars from this site ?

Anil,

Once you have a credible business plan, I believe ways can be found at each stage to convince people to invest. I can say this from my experience as I was appointed on the Board of Directors of Innovation Ontario Corporation for five years in the 1990s (you can call it a political patronage) by the Ontario Government. We had a budget of about $20 million per year to support the development of early stage, technology based businesses. We used to usually give about $300,000 to $500,000 for these start up companies. Several of them succeeded including Open Text Corp, Descartes systems, Waterloo Scientific, and Research in Motion.

Various states and provinces have such organizations to support budding entrepreneurs. In addition, I am sure there are individuals on this site who can spare some money if they see some potential. However, considerable work is required to come to this stage. I can discuss some ideas with you if you email me your phone number.

Folks,

Anil has a very good idea in wireless technology area. He has written a good product description and a product functional spec.

Wireless is definitely a very hot area and there is just too much growth potential in this sector. You will see wireless incorporated in almost every device in coming years. Already wireless networking is taking over everything.

Some people have suggested that there will be open source tools for testing wireless devices. Yes, there will be open source tools but there will still be people making money even with those open source tools. Lot of money is being made today with Linux (arguably the biggest open source project). IBM, HP, DELL are probably the biggest beneficiary of Linux. There are so many other small companies who put embedded Linux in their devices (Cisco, Broadcom, Linksys ...).

Also, normally, open source tools are made available for very generic situations (horizontal markets). You will hardly find very well tested and packaged tools for very specific situations.

Wireless is a growing area. So many new companies are already working in this area and so many companies are starting to work in it. In most cases, I would think, the companies have in-house teams for developing test cases to test their products. Now if some one can offer a comprehensive test, performance analysis and certification tool which can be purchased for say 10000-25000 dollars, the companies will be very much interested in that than putting two people (or one person) for six months (50000-100000 dollars). Time is most important in technology (especially in US). So, six months in time + (50000 to 100000 dollars) is just so much more expensive than buying a ready made tool for 10000 to 25000 dollars.

In addition to providing the tools, the company can also provide wireless expertise.

Later on, these tools can be converted into protocol suites which can be offered to customers as protocol stacks which can be easily incorporated into wireless devices to provide the desired functionality, once again as a time-to-market strategy.

We are still taking baby steps with this project and can use any help we can get in terms of guidance, technical, marketing, financing, legal, other...

Thanks.

-ajmer

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Bhai Ajmer,
    good thinking and correct approach..

Ajmer Dahiya (Sep 17, 2004 02:36 p.m.):
    Folks,
    Now if some one can offer a comprehensive test, performance analysis and certification tool which can be purchased for say 10000-25000 dollars, the companies will be very much interested in that than putting two people (or one person) for six months (50000-100000 dollars). Time is most important in technology (especially in US). So, six months in time + (50000 to 100000 dollars) is just so much more expensive than buying a ready made tool for 10000 to 25000 dollars.

In addition to providing the tools, the company can also provide wireless expertise.

We are still taking baby steps with this project and can use any help we can get in terms of guidance, technical, marketing, financing, legal, other...

Thanks.

-ajmer

Cisco dons the investor's hat for India

Is looking into minority stakes in companies dealing with consumer broadband, Wi-Fi, storage network, VoIP and network security.
    http://www.ciol.com/content/news/mgas/2004/104092002.asp

Hi folks,
    I have a very profitable business proposition.
    I am a part time student and I can vouch for one thing as can most students in America. Book prices are touching skies!! So much so that this was the single biggest issue in most universities this year. Books for us techies cost 100-200 Dollars easily. Some Indian students try to get their books from India and the same books cost them ~ 500 Rupees. NOW, if somehow we can open an internet bookstore that sells 100-200 Dollar books for even half price (i.e $ 50) and it cost us 1000 Rs (i.e $ 20 -> book price + expedited shipping & handling), that could mean big profits.

There are a few challenges though! We need an exteremely solid infrastructure, some reliable people who can take shipping orders and ship the books within a matter of hours.

What does everyone think about this? Oh and before anyone asks why I haven't started this myself yet.... Well, I don't have either the capital or the resources in India to take such a big responsibility.

its a good idea, but i think it will be illegal. if u look at the books published in india by the US companies, they are specially marked for lower price and it says us can sell it in only limited countries whic are mostly saarc nations. u cannot export those books back to USA.

anil chaudhary (Sep 21, 2004 07:59 a.m.):
    its a good idea, but i think it will be illegal. if u look at the books published in india by the US companies, they are specially marked for lower price and it says us can sell it in only limited countries whic are mostly saarc nations. u cannot export those books back to USA.
    Where would the issue about the pricing stand if one just ordered them online?...
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Oh I see. Well thanks for clearing that up.

Good reading:
    http://www.startupjournal.com/

Business of Sleeping

Nap time returns, for a price
    advertisement

Has a late night out or a bad night's sleep left you yawning at the office? You're certainly not alone. There's a cure, and people are willing to pay for it.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/TVReports/P95221.asp?GT1=5100

Entrepreneurism 101

How do entrepreneurs make it work?
    read on..

http://www.siliconindia.com/magazine/Fullstory.asp?aid=ECW338111710

Venture Fund in Inida

http://www.indiainfoline.com/lega/vefu/ch01.html

Login to view details.

wireless gears....

dear sir,
    i would like to know what exactly is going in this direction.... the automated testing of wireless gears... who all r involved n where exactly is this thing shaping up??...
    i think i'm too young to help in the efforts of this thread.... but would like to be involved in them.... i may be of some worth once i pass out fom my institute
    read about the idea of reselling of low price editions of tech books in US n europe... well before venturing into any biz i believe we must know exactly about the customers n the ground reality of the place where we r going to operate...!!
    though there is not much capital investment involved.... but wat if the law enforcement is too strict there??... i 've heard those nations have very strict check on copyright acts n all!
    we may end up in hot water...
    dont know much abt the topic , myself!
    naresh
    anil chaudhary (Sep 03, 2004 12:34 p.m.):
    Update:
    So far: There is at least 1 "great" idea. Its related to automating testing of wireless gears (802.11/wi-fi stuff).
    Currently: Working on finalising the "wish list" of product features.
    Next Step: Technical feasability study, resources requirement (staffing/timming/MONEY) planning.

Not much change in status since last update. Still working on writing the business plan (needs to get the financial part right). Product specs is complete and working on project dev plan (what to do when and how to do it). What I am learning is that its a very tedious process and its absolutely necessary to plan it meticulously. With limited resources (human and money) the speed is slow, funding will speed up the things. But before we can think of funding, we have to get our plans staright, so its a chicken and egg situation.

It would be great help if anyone here knows some investers who would be interested in listening to our plan or better still if anyone here is willing to invest if they like our plan. Pls do write an email or private mesg to me if u can give any pointers

Login to view details.
    Dear All
    I read the topic today itself. Really its a very good start and hats off to the initiator. I am not having any technological background but I am a Sub -Inspector (Executive) in Delhi Police, presently looking after the passport division of Delhi Police. Beside it i have computerised the passport section of Delhi Police, searching of records of individuals, of Delhi Police & concept of decentralising the process of depositing of passport application forms (a novice in highly technical persons around).

What i make out is that we should think of starting a corporation as the concept of SAHARA INDIA. It should indulge in multiple fields but initially we should start with a field where we have more expertise like software or outsourcing from western countries to our country, we must help or utilise our work force from our country and gradually reaching the grass root lavel.

AS FAR I AM CONCERNED I AM READY TO INPUT WHATEVER I CAN

with regards

rajesh

Login to view details.
    Hello everyone,

Good to know that we Jats are putting efforts together .

I am currently working as Assistant Manager with GE Capital International Services, placed at Overland Park, Kansas - US and working on following technologies -
    1. Citrix Metaframe.
    2. Microsoft SMS
    3. Microsoft Active Directory with Windows 2003.
    4. Software packaging - WISE package Studio and SMS Installer.
    5. Veritas Netbackup .

Please let me know in case I can be of any help.

Thanks...

Ajay Malik

Thumbs up update from me...

The 1st draft of business plan is ready.

"The main objective of ABC Inc. is to establish itself as the industry leader in the testing of wireless devices based on IEEE 802.11 standards by providing a cost-effective software product suite that simplifies and automates the testing of devices within a WLAN."

experience so far:
    1) Its very difficult to take risk
    2) You need good network of ppl with passion and trust
    3) There is no magic biz/investment which will make you rich overnight
    4) Be patient

Anyone with new ideas on how to move fwd?