Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Challenge to Jatland Youth - Time for Action

A Challenge to Jatland Youth - Time for Action

I have been associated with this website for almost two years. As I was cleaning up my email archives I was amazed that I have corresponded with over 300 individuals either directly from the Jatland site or those who obtained my email address from someone on this site. It has been a pleasant experience as there have been several positive outcomes through this process.

But when I look from the point of view that what could be accomplished through the joint effort of all the talented young people on this site then I feel rather disappointed. There has not been a united effort to pool the talent on the site. As I am on a Sabbatical leave and have more free time I have read lot of the posts on the Jatland site and I did find few posts where some members have tried to invite others into action but with futility.

So, I am writing this post to challenge the youthful, talented and energetic members that instead of spending time on writing silly posts do something more productive. I see immense opportunities in the next economic upswing and you have all the resources to take advantage of it.

Here is my suggestion:

Schedule Chat sessions for brainstorming to come up with a plan to use the technical talent and financial resources available through the site and make a commitment to develop one or more successful corporations in the next 5 years. We have talented people from many fields on this site and there is lot of potential for synergy.

With apology to all whose names are not listed here I urge the following people to schedule and start the Chat sessions ( open to all who want to see what is going on) - Anil Chaudhary, Anuj Kumar, Anuj Kadyan, Anurag Kadyan, Amit Shokeen, Monica and Nitin Dahiya, Anmol Ratan, Rahul Malik, Uday Dahiya, Ajmer Dahiya, Sabeena Chaudhary. (I picked these names from the site to include a variety of fields ranging from Operations Research, Economics, Marketing, Investment Banking, Organizational Psychology and Software).

Believe me, if needed, lot of venture capital (millions of Dollars) can be raised from this site alone.

I plan to spend about 3 months in India (Oct. to Dec.) at my home (on our land more than a mile from the village) and will be cutoff from the outside world. But before that I hope something comes out of it.

I apologise for not including names of lot of talented people here but this is only a start. Let us do something meaningful rather than wasing time on writing silly posts.

Birbal Singh

Good idea Birbal Singh Jee.
    If anyone gets into chat session please let me know what you decide. It will be difficult for me to chat while at work but after work I am free for discussions.
    Is there any way of keeping the chat session posts somewhere (so that if some new member wants to read the older discussion he/she will be abele do so), or should be start a new thread under Carriers Section of this site.
    Hope to hear from others.

Thanks,
    Rajdeep

Thanks Birbal ji, for bringing up a very important issue and putting it in right perspective.
    I have been trying for a long time to encourage entrepreneurship among Jats. So far its been a false start for me. May be ur post and words of encouragement will re-ignite the dormant spirit. A blessing and backing from seniors will give us more confidence and show us the right way to do things. I look fwd to inputs from all. I hope we dont again get devided into NRI and RI jats; it has to be a joint effort from both ends to be successfull.
    To start with I suggest we exchange a short profession background info from interested individuals. If someone is hesistant to share the info publicly, we can do it offline. I will be more than willing to coordinate the effort.

For members living in and around Boston:
    It will be a good opportunity if u can join us for a get together on 21st Aug:
    http://www.jatland.com/cgi-bin/ub/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=18&TID=1005&SID=460 87

I have no problem sharing professional background (unless it requires giving out my credit card number) So here it goes.

Name : Rajdeep Singh
    Education : B.Tech. 1998 IIT Khararagpur, Electronics and Electrical Comm. Engg.
    Work Experience :
    IBM Global Services, Bangalore : 1 year
    Worked as VLSI design engineer. Job responsiblities were to verify VHDL model of a graphics chip designed in IBM Austin

IBM Austin, TX: 2 years
    Got transferred to IBM Austin site from IBM India and worked on verification of VHDL model of geometric rasterizer portion of chip. Also worked on modelling a software simulation of chip

PTC, Needham, MA : (since 2001, 3 years over)
    Working as a software engineer in R&D group. I handle all display code for ProE and work on cross platform graphics,3d scane management issues, different graphics card support.

Home : (always)
    Work at home on some hobby software projects to keep current on new technology, so keep my job ;-)

Skill Set :

OS/Platform : HP-UX, IBM 6K, SUN Solaris, SGI, Window 2000, XP/NT, Unix, Linux
    Languages : C, C++
    Libraries : Opengl, X11, Motif, GDI, GTK
    Technologies : 3d Graphics, Image processing, Pattern Recognition, Robotics .

Your turn Anil/ Others

raju :-)

Ok, its my turn:
    Education:
    B.E: DCE, Delhi
    M.E: IISc, Bangalore.

ABt 10 years of experience in software QA, design and development of communication products.

Experience in Wireless LAN products (IEEE 802.11), Network management system (NMS), operation support system (OSS), MPLS, MPOA, ATM, ISDN protocols etc etc etc. Programming experience (long back) using C, VC++ in real time embedded systems, UNIX and Windows environment.

Worked at CDOT, Cisco, Covad and currently at 3Com (marlborough, MA) as a Sr. QA engr for 802.11 products.

Raju Bhiaya, hum pehle kahin mile hain ?

Yes I think we met at lunch in Waltham organized bu amit and his wife. hopefully we will meet again at the picnic.

raju

Anil and Rajdeep,

It is a good start. I hope others join in soon to organize few brainstorm sessions. This kind of brainstom sessions were used successfully by Indian and Chinese youngsters working together in the Silicon Valley before the internet boom began. They used to meet for lunch every Tuseday in a Berkeley area restaurant and the results were phenomenal. You people have the chat line available to you for the same purpose. It is only the question of putting your thoughts together and come up with potential ideas where things are heading and how you can be part of it.

good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dr. Sahab,

A great idea indeed.

Myself - Masters degree in Computer Science and Applications from Poona University, Pune. Over 10 years of experience in Enterprise Storage industry - a very dynamic and growing area with huge growth potential. Worked on SCSI, Fibre Channel and now iSCSI - some of the different technologies used in enterprise storage industry today.

Currently, working with Qlogic Corp (www.qlogic.com) which makes I/O controllers and Storage Switches used in SAN (Storage Area Networks) and NAS (Network Attached Storage) environments.

Highly interested in starting a technology company. I have some ideas which may address some markets in the storage industry in the near future. I am also looking for people with similar interests. Also looking for people who have some experience in taking the ideas to the market - with some good marketing background. Some funding also available.

By IDC predictions, by 2007, enterprise storage market will be equally divided among Fibre Channel, iSCSI, SATA (Serial ATA) and SAS (Serial SCSI). One of the ideas involves bridging these technologies together in order to make them interoperable with each other.

Yes, let us identify some people with similar interests and get together - online or offline.

Thanks.

-ajmer

Thanks Birbal singh ji for intiating this topic.

Abt myself :
    BTech Instrumentation
    MTech Process Control (Intsr. & Control Engg)

Exp :
    1) ~ 6 months - Seimens Ltd. Gurgaon.
    Language - C++

Worked as a part of team which was developing a graphical tool for a computer based process automation system. The idea was really good where a plain process control or Instrumentation engineer need not require to be computer expert. S/He can use this tool & their knowledge of the process and put all neccessary control elements together (more like creating a flow chart). Based on the flowchart, the code will be generated in the background to control the process.

2) 3.5 yrs in Infosys bangalore.
    Joined in recession after MTech in 2001, so attended almost all type of trainings in first 6 months. (Mainframes, E-Comm package, AS/400, Open systems). Jack of all, master of none :-)

Worked on 2 different projects. First for 5 months on Insurance Domain and from last 2.5 yrs in Payroll & Tax processing (US specific).
    Here got oppurtunity to work on almost every possible phase of a S/W project lifecycle. Start from a developement, maintenance & now closure state. Worked in several roles starting as developer/Tester, Designer/Reviewer and now requirements gathering at client's location.

Technically nothing hardcore. Mainly worked on Oracle 8i, PL/SQL, COM+, VB, ASP, MSMQ, Win 2000 programming. (almost for 2.5 yrs)

OS/Platform : Win NT/ 2000, OS/390, AS/400
    Languages : C, C++, HTML, ASP
    Tools : VB, AMARTA
    Database : Oracle 8i, PL/SQL

Warm regards,
    Rahul

First of all I would want to thank Dr. Birbal sir for including me into the list and for initiating this topic.

Here is a brief introduction about myself...

I did my engineering from REC Trichy in Instrumentation and Control Engineering in 2003. I joined Wipro Technologies in July and was put in the Telecom and internetworking domain.
    I worked on a product of Nortel for Optical NMS. Later on i moved to the Gurgaon office of Wipro and here i was working on a product of Ericsson..again in Telecom domain.

I have worked in Java and C++ on Unix platform(HP and Solaris). I have worked on Java swings as well.

I finished one year with Wipro and now I have joined Oracle IDC in Hyderabad.. here I am in the financials group...Currently learnign about Oracle applications framework.

Well I am relatively very young compared to most others who are very experienced.. but then I assure u I have all the enthusiasm to be a part of something like this and would surely give it my best.

Regards,
    Anuj Kadyan

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    birbal ji
    ram ram ....very rightly pointed out that instead of wasting time on silly post which leaves everyone in bad taste ( the moderators are off to sleep , i think ) it is a lot better to do something worthwhile .

well , i had posted about jat NGO namely YUVAJAT ;it is been grossly behind schedule but definately on .

i am not a hi-fi technical guy like rest of them but i would call myself technical sound and ready to learn .

leave me a note if ur coming this side ; delhi ..i have just been shifted here and i would be glad to be of any help u sought .

Hello Birbal ji...
    it's good to see that someone is really interested in doing something positive and constructive for our community...
    well myself amit rana
    i have just joined Tata Motors(Pune) as Senior Engineer in Productivity services department..
    i joined after completing my Masters from IIT-K
    this is just the begining of my carrear..
    i am here to provide anytype of help for my community.....though i will get less time in start due to traiing period and ofcourse starting period...
    Amit Rana

Not much about me,
    here I go :-
    Edu. 2004 M.S. (Physics)- IIT Delhi
    Worked on- Fibre Optic Communication systems, superconductivity electronics, microwave generators,nano band filters for communication, I.C. Technology, smart windows,
    Cannot join the force of lead I.T. people still having a good knowledge of softwares, if I could be of some help i'll feel delighted.
    Shobhit Deshwal
    But I do nothing upon Myself, and yet I am mine own executioner!!!!!

Looking at replies so far, we have the technical pool and we certainly do have enthusiasm and energy.
    We have ideas and ppl with experience and capability to convert that into a good product.
    ...whats missing?
    Experience in business developement and market research. Anyone who can help us analyse the business plan and if the product can really sustain the plan ?

Another set of thoughts:
    I asked myself the following Qs, and my suggestion is that u too do it:
    Am I willing to leave my comfortable jobs for this?
    Am I willing to invest my savings into this?
    At what stage do I need to firm up my ans to the above Qs?
    Under what condition will I chicken out?
    Is my family ready to take the heat?

I did my BTECH from REC Kurushetra in 1996.
    Presently working as Lead Eng in JP Morgan chase bank in Boston

Anil,

You have raised valid questions. But, I think none of you have to leave your comfortable job for a while. If you all pool your brainpower to come up with a sound product/business plan lot can be achieved with little money of your own.

The last question in my view is the most important. Your family's full support and cooperation is absolutely essential.

Thanks Birbal ji for words of encouragement.
    Trying to narrow down the scope of the future "Jat Inc"...we probabily have 2 choices:
    A service based company or a product based company. I may not be using the exact business jargon, but the basic idea is to explore in the right direction.
    Service based: consutancy, outsourcing, ISP, etc etc , the tcs types.
    Product based: selling software/hardware solutions, designs, equipemnts etc etc, e.g., i-flex, microsoft, cisco, dell types.

I would like to get a feedback from u all on what type of core business model we should we be looking at. I feel more comfortable dealing with products rather than services.

Few more questions to be asked
    1. What is the type of market to focus on?
    2. Where is the market to sell product/services?
    3. What are the individual strengths? (Degrees are good foundation stones but what strengths does an individual sells or can sell?)
    4. What can an individual develop, which is saleable?
    5. What is the level of drive or risk taking capability of individual?
    6. Do you think you are a team player?

From the replies so far, I can divide the members into following locations:

Americas East Coast:
    Dr. Birbal Singh
    Rajdeep
    Anil
    Rahul
    Amit Shokeen
    Sanjeev

Americas West Coast:
    Ajmer

India:
    Anuj
    Ramesh
    Amit
    Sobhit

Let me know if someone has a new location than whats in there profile.

Looking at the geographic distribution, for all of us to meet may be difficult initially or at least one grp has to join in at odd hrs. So, I suggest that we chat individualy first and then exchange notes and then we can come to a suitable time frame for all to meet.

Also, since this chatroom is public and some may not like to share there views here, i would suggest that we use msn or yahoo messenger or meet face to face or over phone if possible.

There is another category too . Like imports and exports . there may be people in INDIA or inUSA who want to import or export stuff.
    We can do somehting in that area too along with IT