The Jat Sarv Khap Panchayat and Timur Part II

Part II of the war with Timur.Our indian version

Source: Jat Viron ka ithihass. Capt Dilip Singh Ahlawat

HOWEVER THE HARYANA SARVKHAP PANCHAYAT HISTORICAL RECORDS,
    FOLIO -43, AND ACCORDING TO THE MANUSCRIPT OF CHANDRADUTT BHUTT
    (BHAT) OF THE SARVKHAP PANCHAYAT

WHO A CONTEMPORARY OF THE TIMES (AND OF WHICH I HAVE A COPY AND
    WHICH I, THE AUTHOR,( Dilip Singh Ahlawat) HOLD TRUE, THE VERSION OF
    THE WAR OF THE ARMY OF THE PANCHAYAT WITH TIMUR, IS AS BELOW.

In 1398 AD Timur made a ferocious attack on Bharat (India) with 92,000 horsemen. On
    receiving the news of Timur's total and open looting and destruction, in Vikram Samvat
    1455(1398 AD), kartick badi 5, Raja Devpala (who was born in the village of Nirpradha,
    District Meerut in a Jat family), who was incharge of the of the Haryana SarvKhap
    Panchayat, called a Mahapanchayat in the jungles in the middle of the villages of Tikri,
    Doghat, and Daha.

The chief committee passed the following resolutions: -
    1) All villages would be emptied.
    2) The elders and women, and children would be taken to safe places
    3) All able-bodied men would join the army of the SarvKhap
    4) Th young women would also take up arms like the men.
    5) The army of Timur, which was advancing from Delhi to Haridwar, would be fought
    with Guerilla warfare, and the water in his way would be poisoned.
    6) 500 young horsemen would follow Timur and report his whereabouts to the
    SarvKhap army

The Panchayat Army: Under the flag of the panchayat, 80,000 warrior soldiers (Mulls)
    and 40,000 young women joined together. These heroes also handled all the
    arrangements of the war materiel. From hundreds of miles around Delhi Heroic warriors
    came to the battlefield ready to sacrifice their lives. All the young men and women took
    up arms. Dharampal Dev a Jat warrior, who was 95 years old, played a great part in
    gathering together this army. He traveled day and night on horseback to encourage men
    and women and gather the army. His brother Karan Pal helped arrange money, grain,
    and clothing for the army.

The choosing of the Supreme General, the deputy general and the other generals.

In this endeavor of the SarvKhap, the hero warrior Jograj Singh Gujar was chosen
    Supreme General. He was of the Clan Khubar Parmar, and hailed from a village near
    Haridwar called Kunja. Later this Village was uprooted and destroyed by the Mughals.
    The clan of the Hero Jograj Singh escaped from this village and reached Lundora,
    Detract of Sahranpur, where they settled. Here they established the Lundora Gujar
    Kingdom. Jograj Singh was a celibate and renowned wrestler. He was 7 feet, 9 inches
    tall, and weighed 8 maunds. His daily diet was four seers of grain, 5 seers of vegetables
    and fruit, one seer of cows' s ghee (Clarified butter) and 20 seers of Cows milk.
    (Approximately: 1 seer = I kilogram, I maund + 40 seers = 40 kilograms).

The general chosen from among the heroic maidens were 1) Rampiari Gujar, 2) Hardai
    Jat, 2) DeviKaur Rajput, 3) Chandro Brahmin, and 4) Ramdai Tyagi. All of them took a
    vow to lay down their lives in defence of their nation.

Deputy Generals - 1) Dhula Bhangi ( Valmiki), and (2) Harbir Singh Gulia Jat, were
    chosen.

Dhula Bhangi was a resident of the Village of Hansi, near Hissar. He was a strong and
    powerful brave warrior. An expert in guerilla warfare, a great raider, his weight was 53
    Dharis (I dhari = 5 seer. Approx. 160 kilograms). On being chosen as Deputy general, he
    gave a speech, " In my life I have made many raids your giving me respect has made my
    blood boil. I take a vow before all the warriors, that I will spill my blood for the defense of
    my nation, and will not let the pure flag of the SarvKhap be lowered. I have taken part in
    many wars, and will sacrifice my life in this one". Having said this he took some blood
    from his hip, and sprinkled it at the feet of the supreme general. He then unsheathed his
    sword and said" This will drink the blood of the enemy and will not go back to its sheath."
    Hearing the speech of this heroic warrior, a wave of enthusiasm and courage ran
    through the army of the Panchayat, and every cried out slogans of the motherland.

The second deputy general was Harbir Singh Jat, of the Gulia Clan. He was from the
    village Badli, district Rohtak I Haryana He was 22 years old, and weighed 53 Dharis
    (approx. 160 kilograms). He was strong and brave warrior,

The names of the generals were 1) Gaje Singh Jat Gatwala, 2) Tuhiram Rajput, 3)
    Nedha Rawa, 4) Sarju Brahmin, 5) Umra Taga (Tyagi), and 6) Durjanpal Ahir.

The deputy generals chosen were 1) Kundan Jat, 2) Dhari Gadariya, who was a Dhari,
    3) Bhondhu Saini, 4) Hulla Nai ( barber),5) Bhana Julaha ( Harijan) 6) Aman Singh
    Pundir ,rajput 7) Nathu Pardar, rajput 8) Dhulla ( Dhandi) Jat, who would lead raids
    from Hissar, to Dadri, to Multan.9) Mamchand Gujar 10) Phalwa Kahaar.

Assistant generals. 20 assistant's generals were chosen from the various jatis (castes).

The hero Bard: the Eminent Scholar Poet Chandrabhutt (Bhat) as chosen as the official
    Bard. He wrote an eye witness account of the war with Timur.

SOME EXCEPRPTS FROM THE SPEECH OF THE SUPREME GENERAL JOGRAJ
    SINGH.

' Viroh (Heroes), reflect on the sermon given by Lord Krishna to Arjun in the Gita. For us
    the door t heaven (moksha) has been opened. That moksha, which the Rishi Munis
    achieve by doing Yoga, the hero warriors achieve by sacrificing their lives on the
    battlefield. Save the nation, that is- sacrifice yourselves, the world will honor you. You
    have chosen me leader. To my last breath I will not withdraw. I salute the Panchayat,
    and take oath that until my last breath I will defend the soil of Bharat. Our nation has
    been shaken by the crimes and attacks of Timur. Warriors arise and do not delay. Fight
    the enemy army and throw them out of the nation."

On hearing this speech a wave of heroism ran through the assembly. 80, 000 warriors
    and 40,000 maiden warriors kissed their swords and took an oath, ' O General, while we
    breathe we will obey your orders, and sacrifice our lives for our country'.

The Troops. - the Panchayat Army, spread out from Delhi, to Meerut, Muzzafarnagar,
    Sahranpur, and Haridwar. On reaching these places they tangled with the armies of
    Timur, and using Guerilla warfare, they did not them sit still. The enemy army had to
    escape by the route of the hills and the enemy was chased upto Ambala, and expelled
    out from the land of Haryana.

THE BATTLE OF DELHI:-

At the time that Timur was looting Delhi, and putting the population to the sword.

20,000 warriors of the Panchayat army, made a surprise attack on the 52,000 strong
    army of Timur in the middle of the night, and killed 9,000 of them, and let their corpses
    be swept away in the river Yamuna. As soon as dawn came these heroic soldiers of the
    Panchayat returned to outside the city walls. The battle carried on like this for three
    days.

Timur Lung got frustrated , left Delhi and advanced toward Meerut.

THE BATTLE OF MEERUT: -

Timur, with his numerous and powerful army, with much weaponry, advanced towards
    Meerut. In this land, Timur's army was given no space to breathe. The battles
    continued all through the day. Wherever the Army of Timur would stop for the night, the
    Panchayat army would attack, and uproot them. The heroic Devis (goddesses- women)
    would deliver food and war material to their soldiers wherever they were. The warrior
    maidens would attack and loot the supplies of the enemy. The 500 horsemen were doing
    their duty by keeping everyone together and bearing information.

As supplies were not reaching them, the army of Timur started to go hungry. Whichever
    village came in its path would be destroyed.

Becoming frustrated Timur advanced towards Haridwar.

THE BATTLE OF HARIDWAR:

Beyond Meerut, to Muzzafarnagar and Sahranpur, the Panchayat armies fought fiercely
    with Timur and did not let his army take hold (grip). The Supreme General,. the Deputy
    Generals and the Generals were handling their armies well. The army of Timur reached
    Tuglakpur- Pathrigarh, which is 5 Kos south of Haridwar.

In this land the army of the Panchayat fought three major battles with the army of Timur.

The Deputy Commander Harbir Singh Gulia, along with 25,000 warriors of the
    Panchayat army, made a fierce attack on a big group of Timur's horsemen, and a fierce
    battle ensued where arrows and spears were used (There over2, 000 hill archers joined
    the Panchayat Army. One arrow pierced Timur's hand.). Timur was in the army of
    horsemen. Harbir Singh Gulia charged ahead like a lion, and hit Timur on his chest with
    a spear, and he was about to fall under his horse, when his commander Khijra, saved
    him and separated him from the horse. (Timur eventually died from this wound when he
    reached Samarkhand). The spearmen and swordsmen of the enemy leapt on the Harbir
    Singh Gulia, and he fainted from the wounds he received and fell.

1. At that very time, the Supreme Commander Jograj Singh Gujar, with 22,000
    Mulls (warriors) attacked the enemy and killed 5000 horsemen. Jograj Singh
    himself with his own hands lifted the unconscious Harbir Singh and brought
    him to the camp. But a few hours later, the hero warrior Harbir Singh
    achieved martyrdom. Jograj Singh suffered a big blow from the martyrdom of
    the warrior.

2 In the Jungles of Haridwar, the guard of Timur, made up of 2805 soldiers
    was attacked by the Deputy commander, warrior Dhula Dhardi and 190
    soldiers. The killed many enemy soldiers and all 190 soldiers achieved
    martyrdom.

3 In the third battle the Supreme Commander Jograj Singh and his heroic
    warriors fiercely attacked the army of Timur and forced him to flee
    towards Ambala. In this battle the hero Jograj Singh suffered 45 wounds
    but he kept his senses. The heroic warriors of the Panchayat army did not
    let Timur's army reach the Banks of the holy Ganga (Har Ki Pauri).

Timur fled towards Ambala by way of the Hills. This fleeing army of Timur was chased
    upto Ambala by the army of the Panchayat, and expelled from their nation of Haryana.

The heroic warrior Durjanpal Ahir achieved his place in heaven in the battle of Meerut, at
    Delhi Gate, with 200 of his soldiers.

In these battles the generals who were wounded or killed would be replaced. One
    warrior Rajput of the Kachwaha Clan took over the post of Deputy Commander. One
    Rawa and one Saini took up the post of Senapati (general). Only 5 senapatis (generals)
    survived this war, the rest achieved martyrdom.

In these battles of the 250,000 soldiers of Timur, our warriors sent 160,000 to the banks
    of river of death, and the dreams of Timur were swept away.

35,000 warriors of our Panchayat army were martyred.

MARTYDOM OF THE SUPREME COMMANDER. The hero warrior Jograj Singh Gujar
    passed away after the war in the Jungles of Rishikesh.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Bhai Ravi,
    Instead of being read 25 times on this site, this post deserves to be read 25 times by each one of us that we remember in these rootless times the depth of our roots. I remember traces of an old ragini which i heard in my childhood'' Ram na barsay, Dharti tarsay, Jaatan kaum Khoon tay seechay. Your Post swells the heart and stirs the blood. I wish you could have seen the faces of my sons as I watched them read this post, their eyes shining, their perfect Jat faces intense and their postures strong with the grace of warrior blood. Thank you for this precious post.

We are organising an event called the Ride for Pride, several hundred Jat horsemen are meeting in Bharatpur to Ride to Delhi. Could you try and find a sponsor for your presence during the ride when these stories could be told around a fire at night. Please think about it and communicate with me at the earliest at email: therideforpride@indiatimes.com
    Regards and good wishes
    Amit Dahiyabadshah

Ravi ji,
    What is the meaning of JAT SarvKhap panchayat. From different reading, we get different meanings. Is it a panchayat of all JAT got khaps?
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

[quote]Amit Dahiya (Delhi) (Dec 12, 2002 05:34 a.m.):
    Bhai Ravi,
    Instead of being read 25 times on this site, this post deserves to be read 25 times by each one of us that we

Amit

Thank you for your comments.

At the outset allow me to say the credit is to Capt Daleep Singh Ahlawat, the author of the Book, as mentioned in the post.

All I have done is to translate it, somehow and post it for others to read.

Sadly, there is much in our rich history that is not known and it is time to do something about it.

Dharampal Sing ji, has shown the way by writing a book on Jat History, I hope he writes many more.

I hope you and others like you join in and contribute what you can, to our increasing store of the rich history of our people.

I also suggest that each one of us circulate this account of our history to others by E-mail or where that is not possible by printing out a copy and sharing with others.

Perhaps someone could check if Capt Ahlawat is still alive, and pay him our respects

To make circulate easier, in the Jat history discussion group, I have added a file in the File section. The file is Timur.doc, in word format.

It is the story of the war of the Jats with Timur and how Timur was defeated and driven out of Haryana.

To access it:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/files/

I will suggest that this be circulated to your friends.

May I also ask Nithin to add the file to the General History section, and please give due credit,to Capt Daleep Singh Ahlawat.

Ravi

P, S. I do not see myself being able to get away from Toronto soon, but how else an I help your Ride for Pride efforts

Ranvir asks:

What is the meaning of JAT SarvKhap panchayat? From different reading, we get different meanings. Is it a panchayat of all JAT got khaps?

Dear Ranvir,

Let me try.

A Khap is generally a unit of 84 villages. It was a self-administered unit, built up from the lowest unit of one.

The single unit was, the Village, a self contained Republic. Its Panchayat of five persons generally governed it.

This is an age-old custom and goes back to the Days of the Rig-Veda - our ancient book, much of whose composition was done by Jats.

As one may expect, there would be many such Khaps.

One or two clans dominated most Khaps. In Muzzafarnagar district one such important Khap was that of the Baliyan Clan, who traced their migration there from Vallabipur in what is now Gujarat, when their empire their collapsed

The Sarv Khap Panchayat then becomes a Panchayat of all the Khaps, or all Gotras.

The Haryana SarvKhap stretched from the Sutlej River to the Chambal River to Bareilly. It's capital was at Shoron in District Muzzafarnagar. The Jat Raja Harshvardhan who united a number of small khaps from Sutlej to the Chambal to Bareilly, modern Rajasthan, Madhyapradesh, Haryana, Punjab, and Western UP, created it. He started the custom of five yearly meetings.

It ran it own affairs, and in parallel to the rulers in Delhi, be they Jat, or Muslim. Delhi was under the Jat Tomars till about 10th 11th century AD).

The Chaudhary of the Baliyan Clan was given the honorary hereditary Title of Sarv Khap Chaudhary in the Muslim period, and they retain this honorary title today.

The Sarv Khap met every five years, or when an emergency occurred, as in the case of Timur.

If any one has more information please do post it

Ravi
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/

Dear Ravi ji
    Capt. Dalipsingh Ahalawat of Diggal village now live in Rohtak with his son. I made some inquery recently. I posted a letter to him but the letter returned un delivered with a note move to Rohtak.
    Capt Dalipsingh father Hav. Raisingh was in 6Jat in France during 1st worldwar with my grandfather Hav.Ranjit& HAV. Harnarayan singh.
    My grandfather hav Harnarayan was the frist Shaheed of 6 jat on 30 october 1914.
    I have written some of the story of 1st world war on ward in my book-France to Kargil.
    But i have many more tales of valours to write.
    With blessing of God & co-operation from you all I wish to write many more books on jat history. This is mission of my life.
    I join you all to congratulate & wish happy long life to Capt. Dalipsingh. I wish to meet him soon in India.
    Jaihind.
    JAIHIND
    Jay Jawan Jay Kisan Jay Shaheed