Thread: A TRIBUTE TO BHARATPUR JATS BY MAJOR A. H. BINGLEY

A TRIBUTE TO BHARATPUR JATS BY MAJOR A. H. BINGLEY

Dharampal chachaji RAM RAM ,
    Jat land ke sabhi bhen bhayio ko mere ram ram.
    Getting inspired from Dharampal Ji's tribute to kargil's Ranbaankure I thought of sharing very inspiring description of Bharatpur battle.Although it is very scetchy but good one from enemy. There is a small booklet prepared by Britishers for the purpose of recrutment of Indian soldiers.Probably this was written in 19th centuary . It is like this
    "The Britsh army passed on to Bharatpur which was invested on the 9th January ,1805. The town andfortress was eight miles in circumference,surrounded by a mud wall of great strength and thickness, and protected by numerous bastions,and a broad deep moat filled with water. The garrison was estimated at 8,ooo men, and the guns of the british siege train were niether sufficiently heavy nor numerous enough to make much impression on the works ; for as soon as a small breach was effected, the Jats, with that skill as pioneers for which they were famed, would work throughout the night, and by morning would have it closed by a stockaded retrenchment, which rendered an assault impracticable.Four succesive attacks were succesfully repulsed by the 'Jats'.While the British assaulting columns were vainly endeavouring to force their way up to breach, or to clamber over the ramparts of the city, the garrison besides keeping up an incessant fire to grape and musketry,continually threw down upon thier heads ponderous pieces of timber and flaming packs of cotton previously dipped in oil, followed by pots filled with gunpowder and other combustibles,the explosion of which had a terrible effect. The struggle, indeed, was carried on with the most determined resolution on both side; and both the british and the Jats envinced throughout the fearful conflict and astonishing and almost desperate degree of vailor .

All our efforts, however, to carry Bharatpur by storm ,proved fruitless and after the failure of these attempts with a loss of 380 killed and 1,894 wounded, the seige degenerated into a mere blockade. The succes of the Jats may be chiefly attributed to the failure of lord Lake's first assault , which, while it multiplied our difficulties, inspired the enemy with confidence which increased during the progress of the siege to such a degree that in proportion as we employed our powers for the reduction of the place, they quickened thir ingenuity in providing the means for it's defence."

Now I shall give you another instance of jats which shows thier love for freedom. Every Dick and Harry has written that 1857 was the first battle for freedom. It is absured and nonsense pill given to everybody who swallowed it. Now there is another paragraph from the same booklet. It goes like this
    ''In 1809 the Jats of Hariana distict west of Delhi which had become the British terretory after the Maratha war, broke into rebellion and brigade of all arms, with a powerful battering train, was sent to bring them to order. The Jats fortified themselves in BHIWANI, where they made a stout resistance;

I would like to add that whatever and whenever Jats got anything it was by bravery not by any other consideration which every other caste in India had employed.

to yo kisa laga// batayio jaroorer

Dear Bhatijy Rajender congratulation & RAMRAM on teacher day .I am happy that I got one true student & seeker of knowledge, who is truely inspired by me and has same Army back ground like me.
    I highly respect and share your view.
    This is great information & part of Army training ,History.
    Keep it up.
    God bless you, your family & jatland members

With best wishes & good luck in future
    Jay Jawan Jay Kisan Jay Shaheed

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Thank you for posting this information, Rajender Ji.

The JAT FIGHTERS OF HARYANA HAVE A GREAT HISTORY.
    There are many great saying about MAHAM CHOBISI CHABUTRA>
    BAPORA-MITHATHAL- DHANANA VILLAGES

GUDAAD KA GINDORA AYA BHAPODA-------------

1000 ghody-horse hinhiny chatar dhari jat jawan
    BAPODA MAT JANIO YO SS GAAM MITHATHAL-DHANANA.

There were always local panchayat rule in Haryana from the time of King Harasvardhana of Thanysawar & Kanoj.
    The story of Chap singh-Sombati belong to Bapoda village.
    During battle of Bhiwani jats & Rajputs fortified frist in Bapoda village.
    The next fort was Mithathal-Dhanana & English were not able to defeat jats of Dhanana.
    The Mithathal village is pre- Harampha old historical site.
    Lots of research is going on under KU history dept.
    Jay Jawan Jay Kisan Jay Shaheed