Thread: 'Leftist historians are trying to distort history'

'Leftist historians are trying to distort history'

'Leftist historians are trying to distort history'
    Press Trust of India
    Kolkata, November 26

Former NCERT Chairman, JS Rajput, on Friday charged Leftist historians with trying to distort Indian history by deleting the glorious past of the country from school history books.

"It is the historians with Marxist leanings, who are distorting history and trying to delink the youths of the country from their heroes," Rajput said at a seminar on "We want Indo-centric, not Marxian Education".

Refuting the allegations by the leftists that NCERT in past few years has been communalising the country's history, the former NCERT Chairman said, "Inaccuracies in the history books were corrected. The NCERT books were criticised and misinterpreted with ulterior motive," he said.

He alleged that while the Marxist historians have questioned the existence of Ram or Krishna, citing lack of archaeological evidence, they have admitted the existence of leaders of "other religions without any such evidence."

He said education is not merely board examination, but values and respect for other culture and religion.

Meenaksi Jain, professor at Delhi University, said, "Decades of Congress rule led to distortion of history, which tried to portray Islamic rule in a friendly light with an eye to minority votes."

SK Sarkar, professor at Kalyani University, said the Indian Marxists have a "colonial hangover" and based their historical knowledge on books by British authors.

He said the Gupta age, termed as the 'golden era' of Indian civilisation, has "almost vanished from the newly revised history books, but Communism and Russian revolution have found prominent place."

.................................................. ......................

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkumar
    Former NCERT Chairman, JS Rajput, on Friday charged Leftist historians with trying to distort Indian history by deleting the glorious past of the country from school history books.

.................................................. ......................
    They have been doing it for past 57 years or so, what difference does it make? Indian media and intelligentsia eat, drink and sleep red. Reminds me of an old advertisment tag "Gimme red"!!

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek
    They have been doing it for past 57 years or so, what difference does it make? Indian media and intelligentsia eat, drink and sleep red. Reminds me of an old advertisment tag "Gimme red"!!
    Yes we all know that they have been doing it. But now people have starting raising this issue and I am sure people will hit back when their emotions are being hurt. We know what happened some time back when Shiv Sainiks burned down the library of one institution in Pune..How angry we all were on the remarks of Dr. Nonica Dutta about Jats.

Rajendra
    Last edited by rkumar; November 26th, 2004 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar
    Yes we all know that they have been doing it. But now people have starting raising this issue and I am sure people will hit back when their emotions are being hurt. We know what happened some time back when Shiv Sainiks burned down the library of one institution in Pune..How angry we all were on the remarks of Dr. Nonica Dutta about Jats.

Rajendra
    Dr. Kalkhande

I am not aware of Nonica/Monica Dutta's views about Jats. Can you please give that information? It will be useful.
    - Naveen Rao

Quote Originally Posted by nrao
    Dr. Kalkhande

I am not aware of Nonica/Monica Dutta's views about Jats. Can you please give that information? It will be useful.
    There has been lots of discussion about her on jatland..Please look at some old threads under histoory..In fact you can even do a google search with her name..You will find quite a lot of stuff on net..

Rajendra