Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jats in Ukraine

Burdakji,

I wonder why you have not concentrated on Yugoslavia and its former republics especially slovakia where "Burdak" is a common surname. Some Burdaks are in Canada also who must have shifted from Eastern Europe. In fact, one Karl Burdak is the General Counsel of Canada. Anyway, as far as Ukraine is concerned, my own perception is that, apart from historical connnections, some enterprising jats must have gone there for business purposes in 16th and 17th century when opium, (which used to grown mostly in jat dominated areas) was an important commodity of export to Ukraine from India. I wonder, if Dekhavich is Dahiya. Similarly Budrak, Burdakov, Burdenko, Burdeinik, Burdaevs are quite familiar names in Ukraine. I am of the the view that the word "Dahiya" must have got corrupted as there is no alphabate for "Hai" in Russian and "Gai" Russian and they are most represented by "Khai", a very funny purnunciation (as if clearing threats).
    JAT - Justice And Truth

Thank you Sehrawatji for very useful information and direction.

Search for BURDAK surname on internet shows following results-

1. In Poland there were 246 BURDAKs in the year 1990. Exact distribution I could not search because the language is Polish.
    2. There were 30 BURDAKs who passed through Ellis Ilands to America. They were from Austria, Poland, Hungary, Germany, Galicia, Russia.
    3. There are 17 BURDAKs on US Social Security death Index.
    4. There are 3 BURDAKs on International Genealogical Index-Continental Europe.
    5. There are 11 BURDAKs on International Genealogical Index-Germany.
    6. There are 4 BURDAKs on International Genealogical Index-North America.
    7. There are 6 BURDAKs on Pedigree resource file.
    8. There are 6 BURDAKs on Austria’s Phone site.
    9. There are2 BURDAKs on Hungary’s Phone site.

Google search shows presence of BURDAKs in following countries-
    1.Poland 2.Germany 3. Denmark 4. Slovakia 5. Yugoslavia 6. Romania 7. Bulgaria 8. Turkey 9. Russia 10. Eukraine 11.Moldavia 12. Lithania 13. Latvia. 14. Belaruss 15. Lebanon 16. India 17. Australia 18. America 19. Canada 20. England.
    It may be an interestng study, how and from where they have spread.

Regards,
    Laxman Burdak

Dear Ravi ji and Shehrawat ji,
    I tried to search Russian surnames as studied by Blitz in year 2002 on its Ethnic, Religious, and National Index, there is surname. -
    Burdakov (Burdakoff)
    The URL address of this site is-
    http://feefhs.org/blitz/frgblitz.html
    On the above site there are surnames related with JAT. These are –
    Iartsev (Yartsev, Jartsev) ,
    Iartsov (Jartsov, Yartsov, Jartsoff, Yartsoff),
    Iatskov (Yatskov, Jatskov, Yatzkov, Jatzkov
    Here variants of surnames are given in brackets. It is also to be noted that “L”,“Y” and “J” are inter changeable. One can find more surnames on this Russian site, which are similar to those, found in Jats in India.
    Similarly search of Hungarian Genealogical Database site shows following variants of Burdak surname-
    Burdács (2), Burdák (1), Burdak (1), Burdák (1), Burdán (5), Burdáts (2), Burdavkiné (1),

The URL address of above Hugarian site is-
    http://www.radixindex.com

On one more site I found some other variants of Burdak surname-
    Burdakas, Burdakova, Burdakevich
    http://www.sms.ac

On MY FAMILY PEOPLE FINDER site there are large number of Burdak Variants, with number of people given in bracket.
    Burdak(80), Burdik(9), Burdick(30881), Burdakin(25), Burdock(574)
    Burjak(23)
    Bur-yat(1)
    Buldak(110), Buldick(1), Buldock(1)

http://reunite.myfamily.com

Still I have not been able to find the meaning and origin of my surname BURDAK.

Regards,
    Laxman Burdak

I am of the opinion that every surname or gotra must have meaning. It must be derived from some person, region, locality, religion, natural objects, historical incidence etc. I think if we can find the origin of a gotra or surname it will help to solve the missing links of jat history. With this objective in mind I tried to search word BURDAK on Internet. I found mention of word Burdak in a document from an Italian site as reproduced below: -

www.lucaoggianu.it/s2k/giua1/goku.htm

Goku alive to Quartu.

“Much time makes far away in a planet of Vegeta name, a battle was incumbent between Friser and the Sajan race. The father of Goku (Burdak) faced Friser, but he was killed. Friser left only three while still alive Sajan of name: Vegeta, Nappa Is Radish. Friser had left while still alive a Sajan baby of Goku name.
    It landed on the earth, in one city of name Quartu Sant' Elena. It was found from Son Gohan. It was trained and also educated, Goku became more and more strong training itself in several places. Then it was married to Quartu in the parish of S. Luca. It had a son of Gohan name. With passing of the years, Goku had an other son, of Gothen name.
    Goku with passing of the time divenne more and more strongly, and defied against more and more strong enemies type: Friser, Cell and more strongly of the series Z Bou Bou, that all Quartu destroyed, but with the spheres of I dredge restored all.
    After much time, it was trained with a new friend of Ub name.
    For guilt Pilaf Goku and made state to return small, then Goku with to Pan and Trunks left for the space in try of the Spheres of dredge.
    Realized they give: Tiziano Palmas and Alexander Pretta “
    The above version is automatically translated from Italian language. Can any body, in Italy or who has knowledge of Italian language, help to explain where the word “Burdak” has come from, in the above story and what is its meaning ???
    Laxman Burdak

Burdak

Burdakji

You have a wonderful job in accumulating this information.

Do please keep it up.

On the origin of Burdak,

You might try and break down the word.

That will give you

BUR - DAK

The root would appear to be BUR, and "Dak" a suffix.

So we could have - BUR- Dak, or BUR - Da, i.e of the BUR

We also find a people, the BURYATS in Central Asia, who still exist today.

We know the Y and J is interchangeable, and Pauriaji in his book thinks they are "BUR" or " BOOR" Jats, pronounced with the deep "U" sound

Many Jat clans have central Asian links

Best regards

Ravi

Thank you Ravi Ji,
    for nice suggestions on the genesis of word BURDAK. With your line of thinking I guess the "BUR" seems to be the basis of this word. Here is what I found through internet search in some known standard dictionaries:-

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/

Search Dictionary:

Meaning of BURDOCK
    Pronunciation: 'burdâk

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] any of several erect biennial herbs of temperate Eurasia having stout taproots and producing burs
    Synonyms: clotbur

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Bur"dock\, n. [Bur + dock the plant.] (Bot.)
    A genus of coarse biennial herbs ({Lappa}), bearing small
    burs which adhere tenaciously to clothes, or to the fur or
    wool of animals.
    Note: The common burdock is the {Lappa officinalis}.

I also found the word BURDAK on internet search in following website-
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ant

In this Internet dictionary BURDAK is translation of ANT in NYUNGAR language spoken in parts of Australia.

In one of article with the heading ROSS COUNTRY ARTICLES-THE OHIO INFAIR, I find mention of BURDAK tree on the following website-
    http://Socioto.org/Ross/article/ohio-infair.html
    It means in region of OHIO word burdak is common as a name of tree. In the temperate Eurasia region, the area towards Siberia, Burdak is name of a biennial plant. In this region of Siberia BUR-YAT surname is also found as suggested by Raviji.
    regards,
    Laxman Burdak

Jat is derived from YAT

Ravi ji as mentioned above there seems to be strong evidence in theory that Jat is derived from Yat. This seems logically and linguistically true.
    In a recent book on Jat history by Dr. Natthan Singh titled JAT ITIHAS in Hindi published by Jat Samaj Kalyan Parishad Gwalior, There are two theories, which support origin of Jat from YAT.
    Dr. Nathan Singh mentions in above book(page32) that Jat is derived from yat.This theory is also supported by Ram Lal Hala in his book on Jat history. He has mentioned that in Chandra Vansa there was a king named Yat, much before Srikrishna. Jats are considered to be descended from king Yat.
    Another theory given by Dr.Natthan Singh (page 39) is that in nineth generation of Yadu there was a king named Usna. Usna performed hundred Ashvamegh Yagya. The performer of hundred Ashvamegh Yagya used to be called Yat or Yajak. Yat later on became Jat.
    Now let us take help of internet to link this theory. Jats have ruled over Asia and Europe in ancient times. There must be something about ruling communities in their language also. The internet search shows that there exists word Yat. Yat or Jat is the name of the 32nd letter of the old Cyrillic alphabet and of the sound represented by it. Reproduced herewith is The Yat reference article from the English Wikipedia on 24-Jul-2004
    http://july.fixedreference.org/en/20.../wikipedia/Yat

Yat
    Yat or Jat (Old Church Slavonic ѣть or ıать, Russian ять, Serbian јат is the name of the 32nd letter of the old Cyrillic alphabet and of the sound represented by it. The 33rd letter in the Glagolitic alphabet is used for the same sound and also bears the name Jat (this same glagolitic letter also corresponded to Cyrillic A iotated (ıа)). In the modern Latin alphabet (Czech language and scientific transcription for old Slavic languages) the sound is denoted as "e with caron": ě.
    Yat represented a Common Slavic long vowel. Today it is not certain how it was pronounced: according to some modern reconstructions, it may have been [ae:] or dipthongal [ie:]. It is significant that from the earliest texts, there is considerable confusion between the yat and the iotated a (Cyrillic ıа).
    Whichever the sound was, it gradually vanished from the Slavic languages, which meant that, while learning to write, children had to memorise mechanically where to write yat and where not. Thus, the letter was dropped in various orthography reforms: in Serbian with the reform of Vuk Karadzic, which was later used for Macedonian, in Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian roughly with the October revolution, and in Bulgarian as late as 1945. The letter is no longer used in the standard modern orthography of any of the Slavic languages written with the Cyrillic alphabet, although it survives in liturgical and church texts written in the Russian recension of Church Slavonic, and has since 1991 found some favour in advertising.
    In various modern Slavic languages Yat has reflected into various vowels. For example, old Slavic root "běl" (white) became "b'el" in standard Russian (dialectal "b'al" in some regions), "bil" in Ukrainian and "biel/biały" in Polish.
    Yat in Russia
    The story of the letter yat and its elimination from the Russian alphabet makes for an interesting footnote in Russian cultural history; see Reforms of Russian orthography.
    Last edited by lrburdak; November 28th, 2004 at 12:00 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

Common Origin of Croats,Serbs and Jats

While searching for any proof of Jats in Yugoslavia and Slovakia I came across an article on the above subject By Dr. Samar Abbas, Bhubneshwar, India. It is published in Jat Jyoti, Vol. 4 no.11 (Nov. 2003) p. 13-18.
    Dr. Samar Abbas has proved in this article that Croats, Serbs and Jats have the common origin. The main points from the article are narrated as under: -
    Croats and Jats: -
    1. Croats as Hrvati, Haravaiti, or Sarasvatians, descendants of the ancient inhabitants of the Harauti province & the Haravaiti or Sarasvati River.
    2. The name "Hrvati" is derived from the Avestan province "Harahvaiti".
    3. It is important to note that the Avesta-the sacred scriptures of the ancient Aryan Zoroastrians- mentions the lands settled by the Iranic peoples. Hapta-Hindawa,i.e. Sapta-Sindhu, is mentioned in the Avesta amongst the Irano-Aryan lands. Even today, the Punjab is the primary home of the Jats. Since the Croats are named after the Harahvaiti or Sarasvati River, and Jats are the present-day inhabitants of the lost Harahvaiti, it would appear that jats and Croats would be very closely related indeed.
    3. The Croats were also commonly named by the medieval chronicles as "Goaths".
    4. This is important because the ethnonym "Jat" is widely considered a variant of "Goath" and its Greco-Latin variant "Getae"(Lozinski 1964, Vernadsky 1952).
    5. Now, the exact path of migration of the Croats from Iran to the Balkans is still disputed. Some hold that they migrated via Anatolia, others that they migrated via Central Asia and the pontic region. Some of the latter historians link the Sarmatians with the Croats and Jats. Thus, Dvornik traces both Serbs and Croats back to the Sarmatians of Southern Russia.
    Serbs: -
    5. Now, we turn to the connection with the Serbs. Several historians maintain that the Serbian ruling caste shared the same origin as the Croats.
    6. The view of Prof. Malcolm is that the Croats and Serbs were originally Iranic speakers who adopted a slavic language(Malcolm 1996).
    Slovaks and Jats:-
    7. Prof. Mandic notes, "The great resemblance between the Croatian and Slovak languages tell us that the Croats for the most part moved south from northern Slovakia. For they are far nearer to each other in affinity than to any other Slavic language."(Mandic 1970,ch.1). Thus, the Slovaks would also share the same Saka origin as the Croats and jats.
    8. Furthermore, some scholars hold that the Sythians and Iranics originated in the Punjab and from thence migrated across the world. Whatever the details of the origin home of Iranoid race itself, all scholars agree that the Jats, Serbs and Croats predominantly belong to the same ethnic stock.
    Source: -
    http://www.iranchamber.com/history/a...serbs_jats.php
    Regards,
    Laxman Burdak

Afghanistan and Jats

I have received no comments on JAT v/s YAT topic as discussed above. Mean while my search for origin of jats and BURDAK surname continues.
    As sunny Singh has pointed out that my features are TURKISH or Turko-Iranian. This led to think me about region of Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Afghanistan was part of Bharat Varsh during ancient times. Sometimes there were Indian rulers and sometimes there were Iranian rulers in Afghanistan. Kandahar was ruled by jat rulers till the invasion by Mugals. After the Mugal invasion Jats moved to India. During Chandra Gupta’s period Saubhagsen was king in Afghanistan.
    About two thousand years back Kushan gotra jat king Kanishka was ruler of Afghanistan also and his capital was Peshawar or Purushpur. His descendants ruled in Afghanistan till nineth vikram century.
    The Ghazni city of Afghanistan was founded by Maharaja Gaj. Maharaja gaj was killed in war with Mugals. Maharaja Gaj had sent his son Shalivahan to India before war with Mugals. The present Maharawal of Jaisalmer is descecdant of Maharaja Gaj. Mahraja Jaisalmer later on got converted to Rajput. The Gajrania gotra in jats is after Maharaja Gaj.
    According to official gazet of Afghanistan there was jat population of about 60000 in the year 1857 in Afghanistan. These used to be called Jats of Hind.

I found that many jats in Rajasthan have facial features similar to Saddam Hussain. Many other people have facial features similar to Afghan people. Most of the elderly people in Rajasthan use white turban, like other jats in jat belt, similar to people in Afghanistan.
    Apart from these physical similarities there are some linguistic similarities also. Mostly people in Afghanistan speak Persian language. Historians have found that we can find solution of many jat history problems in Persian language. I do not have any Persian dictionary with me.
    Some study about Afghanistan reveals that there are four provinces in Afghanistan in which I found similarity with JAT GOTRAs. These are: -
    GHAZNI: - Founded by Jat Maharaja Gaj. Gajrania gotra is found in jats who are descendants of Raja Gaj. (Jat Samaj 3/1998)
    KANDAHAR: - founded by Kandahar gotra jats. Raj kumari of Kandahar was married to Maharaja Dhrit Rashtra. (Jat Samaj 3/1998)
    THAKAR: - Takhar is a gotra in jats in India.
    VARDAK: - It is similar to Burdak at times pronounced as Bardak.

In Rajasthan, where Burdak gotra is found, Burdak at times is also pronounced as Buldak. I searched Buldak in Afghanistan.
    Spin Buldak is a town in Afghanistan near Pakistan Boarder about 120 kms from Kandahar. This town came into light during war imposed on Afghanistan by USA and other countries to catch Osam-Bin-Laden. "R" and "L" are interchangeable in Rajas than and Punjab. I am interested to find any links between Spin Buldak and Burdak gotra jats. Afghanistan is having a sizable population of jats who are Muslims now. Who founded SPIN BULDAK town ??
    Can any body provide more information on it ???

Study of places in Afghanistan shows that there are many places in Afghanistan, which are after Jat gotra or names of Jat people. These names have no equivalent Sanskrit or Hindi names. This explains the movement of Jat people from Afghanistan to India.
    Almas
    Bagram
    Barazi
    Baraz loghan
    Barla
    Bazar
    Chahar
    Chahar-borjak
    Chahar-burjak.
    Kasawa
    Ladu
    Mahalla Sakhii
    Mahalla Sakhri
    Malla
    Mano
    Matu
    Ma’dudi
    Naik
    Rud
    Saran
    Sibji
    Soran
    Tabar
    Takhra
    Umara
    Walian
    Laxman Burdak

update

My dear Laxman ji,

Thanx for the update and good piece of information.You are doing a commendable job.........please keep it up!
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"