Thread: Disaster Recovery and Business contin.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Thumbs up Disaster Recovery and Business contin.

Dear JATLAND,

What is DR \ BC ( Disaster Recovery & Business contin. ) plan for site post addresses?

if not, speak to local ISP or owner of this site...

Something should be planned by this site OWNER \ ADMINISTRATOR & @@@ so that in future we can avoid such " unwanted" impacts.

Stay Tuned
    Uday

(The harddisk of the server had a crash. Unfortunately, we could only restore back to Feb 27/28. All posts from Feb 28 through March 4 have been lost. Sorry for the inconvenience. But we're just glad to be back up! )

Last edited by uday; March 5th, 2005 at 11:03 PM.

Good Suggestion

Why not if it helps avoid problem?
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Gentlemen

The hosting provider takes daily incremental backups of all databases and files. In this instance, a harddisk on the server began failing a few days back, corrupting the backups as well. Unfortunately it slipped detection till yesterday.

Why you see this one disruption and not many others is coz lot of the activity happens without you ever seeing it, or getting to know about it. Obviously, the interventions are not "invisible" to me. One failure in over 4 years (>99.9% uptime) is an excellent record, IMHO. They also maintain a 24x7 tech support. And for the cost of the hosting, it is the most excellent service.

I am not defending the hosting provider, but we need to be realistic. I think this is a 6-sigma event, and little can be done to prevent it, unless we go to total redundancy. Of course, it would cost 10x as much.

I'm still trying to figure out if a split restore of the database is possible. But considering the small likelihood of that, I decided to activate the members area. If it is possible to restore, we might try to do a patch job (unlikely though).

Hope this helps alleviate your concerns.

Nitin

Thanx Nitin

My dear Nitin,

You are doing a wonderful job, please keep it up! thanx for restoring it so quickly. Keep it up.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"