Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Can we Jats do somthing similar ????

Sisters, brothers, ‘others’ and respected elders of Jatland:

First of all, let me thank all of you who showed interest in volunteering for rural development. Since RK uncleji is busy I went ahead and created yahoo group, Jatland_Seva, and have added 10 people who came forward(some of the replies were very lovely, thanks). Please go ahead and join us at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jatland_seva/

-Dahiyaji: Yes, we sincerely request all elders to join us and guide by their experience in working in this direction. And in this we might need your help in reaching out to “People like Maj Kulwant, Uday dahiya, Kanta Singh, sumit pawar, shailendra Tokas and many more available in and around Delhi” to involve us and take our help in their existing efforts or join our group to give suggestion or to contribute at root level.

-Anuj, the library issue is important part of overall picture. It can be at small scale to start with, like few books and subscription to few magazines and papers would suffice to serve its purpose.

-Jassi, sorry yaar I missed you. Your example of ‘riksha-puller’s-herbs’ reminded me two examples. Long back there was a conference held in Bhiwani in which professors from Pilani and Hisar agriculture univ came to give innovative ideas about agriculture. One of the point I remember was to grow a plant whose oil can be used as kerosene, gasoline and lubricant. This plant (forgot the name, something like hoohaba??) is grown in Israel and is perfect for desert-sand found in Bhiwani. Someone tried but didn’t work out because of lack of proper knowledge. Anyway it was digression. I mean these kinds of innovative and simple ideas could bring about changes. I worked in a group called GRA(Group for Rural Activity) in IITB and we had camps in AP, Maharastra etc about implementation of technology in rural area. You won’t believe how even simple things can be effective sometimes e.g. regarding problem of insects(crop eater) someone suggested to put a big(few feet) vessel filled with water in the middle of field and put a lamp(the only light in dark night) on top of it; by morning whole vessel was full of insects, this was repeated for several days and farmer said situation improved with this chemical free solution. There are lots of things to talk about it but let’s not deviate from general idea in beginning.

-Rajendraji: I agree things are done only when they are done at root level. All the talks are useless if they don’t lead to that direction somehow. There are lots of people who want to contribute, their individual efforts are of course praise worthy but in this information driven age this cumulative effort could be more efficient “if these individuals form a network” and discuss, share and carry out coordinated efforts. Cooperating with each other doesn’t simply add to overall success but multiplies. E.g. someone who is interested in having, let’s say free eye-check camp in some village then technical advice from professional like you could be helpful to him. Good luck with your efforts and share your experience with us and your presence is very beneficial to all of us.

I know every addition sentence cuts probability of any post to be read by half. So I won’t write more here. Please add your thoughts and I would request more people to pitch in.

Thanks
    vinod
    Last edited by vinodks; September 22nd, 2005 at 09:29 AM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Hi all,

I think our first step should be to come to a consensus about what would be our first area of focus. Rahter our core area of fouce. Will it be
    e- litterarcy , primary education, hygiene and health awareness, helping our farmer by making technology accessible to them ?

I am sure there are so many activities we can do for helping ppl of our community but for good results its impt that we decide what we will focus on first and then as we grow and learn we can expand ourselves into other activites as well.

I think Primary education along with trying to set up libraries and computer labs in schools should be a great way to start with.

It can mean volunteers visiting and spending time teaching the kids or inspiring and encouraging them or just talking to them.
    Getting them involved in creative activites liek drawing, games etc or reading books to them.

Vinod the yahoo group iyou started will be of great help. Good work there.

Regards,
    Anuj kadyan

Hi

Sir,

Count me in such a nice project.

Vinay Chaudhary
    History has proven, God has never given anyone a dream without also including the power to achieve that dream; It is up to us to claim the power and go after that dream, Or just claim, it was only a dream."

Indicorps -Innovative model of volunteerism.

Hey,
    Just wanted to add few thoughts regarding, what abroad people could do at grass root level while staying so far away from land? Well, a lot. Indicorps is such an example, an orgn based on an innovative model of volunteering. Curious and useless:-) people can visit
    http://www.indicorps.org/

They basically give fellowship to american Indians who want to contribute towards India's development to visit country for 1-2 years on intern. These people go to remote places, have well-defined agenda, work hard and learn from those people things that aren't taught in US:-)
    Its founder, Sonal Shah, was selected Indian Abroad Person in ,03 by rediff
    http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/dec/12sonal.htm

-vinod
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

another update

here is an update on e-powering of rural India. It seems most of it is happening only in south and west india and not much in North.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1485243.cms

RK^2