Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: On Buddha and Buddhism...

On Buddha and Buddhism...

In my humble opinion, I think Siddharta was a true seeker of knowledge for he left his palace, wife and son, at the age of 29, to find answers to the purpose of life and all the difficulties etc of life. He wandered for 7 years, living on the donations by common people of food and clothes when at the age of 36, he was satisfied with the answers he obtained via enlightenment. Thereupon, he decided to share his knowledge with other seekers and lay people, while travelling from place to place.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

navdeepkhatkar (October 5th, 2013), prashantacmet (September 30th, 2013), rkumar (October 5th, 2013)

I think that Budhha was the most enlightened man world has ever seen........
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

cooljat (September 30th, 2013), DrRajpalSingh (October 5th, 2013), urmiladuhan (September 30th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    His quest for enlightenment was the most intense as he sacrificed everything he had. No wonder he was rewarded accordingly. " Jitna gud daalo, utna hi meetha" saying applies so well.

RK^2
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 5th, 2013), prashantacmet (October 6th, 2013)

I guess he was a Jat because Jats are the most enlightened people on the planet earth.

You can say among the contemporary philosophers he was a person with most pragmatic, progressive and scientific vision. Many of the ideals espoused by him are highly and eternally relevant in human life. The most important is his propagation of control on desires upto the optimum level.
    Last edited by singhvp; October 5th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to singhvp For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 5th, 2013), prashantacmet (October 6th, 2013), urmiladuhan (October 6th, 2013)

Could anyone kindly enlighten about the reasons of his orthodoxy and rigidity of his views on the participation of women in preaching Buddhism as full time preachers.

Thanks and regards
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; October 5th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

With due regards to his greatness otherwise perhaps his views regarding the role of women were not as progressive as they could have been because on the asking by one of his disciples about it he did not approve of them to join the Samgha as full time preachers. Was it not so ?

Thanks and regards
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Question is who had approved the equal status of women wrt men ?

As far as I know -
    - They were treated as goddess , every auspicious thing start n never completes without them
    - Was it some way to keep them restricted to some particular responsibility / work/job / profession etc .

I once read Chanakya's views about Women ........ he always indicated women less capable than men . Also read somewhere ( hindu mythology ) -Once a king asked how would I know that Satyug is over and Kalyug has emerged . He was told some signs one of them was " When WOMEN would start getting equal rights as of men "

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 6th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post

As far as I know -
    - They were treated as goddess , every auspicious thing start n never completes without them
    - Was it some way to keep them restricted to some particular responsibility / work/job / profession etc .

I once read Chanakya's views about Women ........ he always indicated women less capable than men . Also read somewhere ( hindu mythology ) -Once a king asked how would I know that Satyug is over and Kalyug has emerged . He was told some signs one of them was " When WOMEN would start getting equal rights as of men "
    You are right. Among all Chanakya said the worst things about women. My personal views are that man is the worst hypocrite and no wonder supreme God is always identified as a male. Buddha was a milder version of Taliban as far as his views about woman are concerned.

RK^2

RK^2
    Last edited by rkumar; October 6th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

rekhasmriti (October 6th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    With due regards to his greatness otherwise perhaps his views regarding the role of women were not as progressive as they could have been because on the asking by one of his disciples about it he did not approve of them to join the Samgha as full time preachers. Was it not so ?

Thanks and regards
    Do they allow Woman preachers in Hinduism? Has there been any woman Shakracharya ever or any Maharishi ?

RK^2

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (October 6th, 2013), urmiladuhan (October 6th, 2013)

Would some body enlighten me about the philosophy of Buddha? All I know about him is that he was a prince. He married a beautiful woman, made her mother of a kid and when he should have fulfilled the duties of a father, husband and son as well, he fled to jungle. Well, no doubt he is inspiring figure, but certainly doesn't deserve 100/100 marks. What result he got out of his penance? He also died after suffering a lot, after growing old. He is also supposed to be bigger apostle of peace than Gandhi. Peace...#$&*#...

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post

As far as I know -

Since Buddhism rose as a revolt against the prevalence of some of wrong practices, traditions and conventions of the then Hinduism, the question is to ponder over why Buddha did not provide equal opportunity to Women in his Samgha.

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    Do they allow Woman preachers in Hinduism? Has there been any woman Shakracharya ever or any Maharishi ?

RK^2
    So it may be presumed that this new Reformation Movement too did fail to provide equal opportunities for women.

But the question arises, WHY Buddha did so ?

Thanks and regards

So it may be presumed that this new Reformation Movement too did fail to provide equal opportunities for women.

But the question arises, WHY Buddha did so ?

Thanks and regards
    My intelligent guess would be to read his childhood. His mother died when he was very young. He was looked after by his mausi. I have the feeling that he had a traumatic childhood. Early in childhood he found almost everything and anything painful. His mission was to find out the cause of pain and then the nirvana. Almost all human relations were sourse of pain to him. This is why he left home, his wife and child. he saw his mausi also through the same lens. Since first woman asking to become nun was his Mausi, he must have got mixed up. I can't think any other reason.

RK^2
    Last edited by rkumar; October 6th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Amarpali, a woman courtsan, was inducted as nun by Buddha himself.

Could anyone kindly enlighten about the reasons of his orthodoxy and rigidity of his views on the participation of women in preaching Buddhism as full time preachers.

Thanks and regards

23. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (October 6th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    Amarpali, a woman courtsan, was inducted as nun by Buddha himself.
    Nuns were introduced but many restrictions were imposed upon them. Bodh Bhiksus always had the final say over the nuns.

RK^2

Siddharta left his palace in search for truth of life, and not to revolt against any religion or their practices.

Since Buddhism rose as a revolt against the prevalence of some of wrong practices, traditions and conventions of the then Hinduism, the question is to ponder over why Buddha did not provide equal opportunity to Women in his Samgha.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (October 6th, 2013), rekhasmriti (October 6th, 2013)

When Buddha was born, his father invited a well known sage of that time of the name Asita, to foretell the newborns future. Asita told the king that either the child will become a very powerful king or else a very influential sage. Siddhartas father did not want his child's future to turn into that of an ascetic. So he made sure Siddharta was given all the luxuries available and he was not touched by the pains of life in any way. He was not allowed to walk out of the palace lest he should see any sufferings. But as fate destined it, Siddharta saw from his palace, people taking an old mans body for cremation, old age etc and that made him question life and suffering. He wanted to know how to end suffering. When he was 29, he decided to give up palace life to find answers via personal search.

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    My intelligent guess would be to read his childhood. His mother dies when he was very young. He was looked after by his mausi. I have the feeling that he had a traumatic childhood. Early in childhood he found almost everything and anything painful. His mission was to find out the cause of pain and then the nirvana. Almost all human relations were surse of pain to him. This is why he left home, his wife and child. he saw his mausi also through the same lens. Since first woman asking to become nun was his Mausi, he must have got mixed up. I can't think any other reason.

RK^2

28. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    Siddharta left his palace in search for truth of life, and not to revolt against any religion or their practices.
    Was it true or not that after becoming Buddha, Siddhartha preached against brahmanical orthodoxy and challenged their supremacy in social hierarchy but the enlightened one was against the entry of women as full time workers in the Buddhist Samghas.

The question remains unanswered : Why did he do so, if you have come across some literature on this aspect kindly share it please.

Thanks and regards

An interesting incident in Buddhas life has been captured in sculpture form (2 nd B.C.E, I believe) where Buddha meets his son and wife after his enlightenment. Buddha's wife nudges Rahula (her son) to ask his father for his inheritance from him. When Rahula approaches Buddha for his inheritance, Buddha gently advances his begging bowl towards his son, meaning that is what Buddha has to offer to his son. In true sense, Buddha was giving his son what all he possessed.

QUOTE=upendersingh;349259]Would some body enlighten me about the philosophy of Buddha? All I know about him is that he was a prince. He married a beautiful woman, made her mother of a kid and when he should have fulfilled the duties of a father, husband and son as well, he fled to jungle. Well, no doubt he is inspiring figure, but certainly doesn't deserve 100/100 marks. What result he got out of his penance? He also died after suffering a lot, after growing old. He is also supposed to be bigger apostle of peace than Gandhi. Peace...#$&*#...[/QUOTE]

31. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post: