Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheokhands/Shokeens

Sheokhands/Shokeens

Hello Respected Historians here at Jatland

Could you please shed some light on Sheokhand/Seokand/Shokeen gots of jats? I belong to Sultanpur Majra in the Delhi region (it was so good to see it on google earth!) which people tell me was settled by a Jat called Sultan who had traveled from Lahore some 300 years back. I dont think there are many Sheokhand villages but am not sure. Maybe others in this forum could come forward and name their villages. There is nothing on the Wiki too. I'm ready to put in some time and write about it if I get some leads here...

Priti

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    sultanpuria!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Dr. Tewatia

Does this tell me something??

Quote Originally Posted by sktewatia
    sultanpuria!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it easy... According to Dahiya Sheokhand are "Sukhand" people mentioned in Vishnu Purana... and it's claimed to be described in page 157 of the purana translated by H H Wilson...
    here is full text of purana however I couldn't find the info... may some typo in Dahiya's book about page no...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/index.htm

I think Shokeen is realtively new surname...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hello Dr. Tewatia

Does this tell me something??
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Thanks Vinod. Couldn't find it either...maybe i should look closely. You are right, Shokeen is basically a convenient version of Sheokhand and came into use not so long ago.

Sheokand/Shokeen/Shokeenda all are same

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hello Respected Historians here at Jatland

Could you please shed some light on Sheokhand/Seokand/Shokeen gots of jats? I belong to Sultanpur Majra in the Delhi region (it was so good to see it on google earth!) which people tell me was settled by a Jat called Sultan who had traveled from Lahore some 300 years back. I dont think there are many Sheokhand villages but am not sure. Maybe others in this forum could come forward and name their villages. There is nothing on the Wiki too. I'm ready to put in some time and write about it if I get some leads here...

Priti
    Priti, Thanks for this post. I too want to know about the same.

According to my elders, as I heard from them many times, Sheokand/Shokeen/Shokeenda all are same. All sheokand's are migrated from Delhi. When there was Muslim Kingdom in Delhi, Muslim Emperor forced local people to convert them from Hindu to Muslim. There was Sheokands in villages like :Nangloi, Dichau, Najafgarh, Mundaka etc. Some of them were converted and some of them left Delhi. So thats why there are Shokeen in Delhi and Sheokand outside Delhi.

7-8 year back there was Maha-Panchayat of Sheokand and Shokeen gathered in Najafgarh and decided that Sheokand and Shokeen are same Gotra and all Shokeen will write Sheokand with their Name.

There are 24 Villages of Sheokand's in Jind (Haryana), some villages are in UP and Punjab also.

I too request to all Jatlanders, If anybody know the realty please write.

Hi Kapil

Thanks for the info. So far we know that there are:

24 villages of sheokhands in Jind
    4-5 villages in Delhi
    Sheokhand, Shokeen, /shokeenda are the same

this is better than nothing info. to start with....would be great if other people came forward and provided more...

i have a confusion regarding the conversion theory- our village has always been a hindu jat shokeen village and i have never met any muslim with the name shokeen...what could be behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by jat-is-jat
    Priti, Thanks for this post. I too want to know about the same.

According to my elders, as I heard from them many times, Sheokand/Shokeen/Shokeenda all are same. All sheokand's are migrated from Delhi. When there was Muslim Kingdom in Delhi, Muslim Emperor forced local people to convert them from Hindu to Muslim. There was Sheokands in villages like :Nangloi, Dichau, Najafgarh, Mundaka etc. Some of them were converted and some of them left Delhi. So thats why there are Shokeen in Delhi and Sheokand outside Delhi.

7-8 year back there was Maha-Panchayat of Sheokand and Shokeen gathered in Najafgarh and decided that Sheokand and Shokeen are same Gotra and all Shokeen will write Sheokand with their Name.

There are 24 Villages of Sheokand's in Jind (Haryana), some villages are in UP and Punjab also.

I too request to all Jatlanders, If anybody know the realty please write.

Login to view details.

try skandhgupta of gupta dynasty, try scandinavia

skandh bafflled me fr a long time. this king of gupta dynasty. i thought its skandh means "kandha" means shoulder in hindi. But later it turned out 2 b a not kandha but a true sainik, means soldier in hindi.

whole scandinavia is named after seokands. it originally meant skandh nabh i.e. sainikon ka desh. sainiks use 2 b recruited in army based on their heights. n till 2 day average height of scandinavian people is tallest in the world.

plz call me in seokands panchayat next time. i'll explain in detail 2 them.
    there r a few villages of them in muzaffar nagar also.

Login to view details.

no jat clan/surname is a new name

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Take it easy... According to Dahiya Sheokhand are "Sukhand" people mentioned in Vishnu Purana... and it's claimed to be described in page 157 of the purana translated by H H Wilson...
    here is full text of purana however I couldn't find the info... may some typo in Dahiya's book about page no...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/index.htm

I think Shokeen is realtively new surname...

-vinod
    even the titles like chaudhary that some jats use, even thakur, verma, singh, lal, chand, ram etc. are at least 400 yrs old. the newest amongst them is singh. otherwise all others cross at least 1000 yrs.

Login to view details.
    dagar(daugir), vanar(vanir), (both r scandinavian gods) naag, gandharv, kinner, pissach, bains (bhains, buffaallow), assur, deo, etc. look 2 b new, just thousands of yrs old.

but they were just titles for them. like original dagars were scheonkers (chhonkers), n there r more than 2 types of dagars n intermarriages among them (dagars) are also very common.

I won't go that far and certainly I won't teach something like that in a panchayats:-)... I think we should refrain from such claims just based on name-matching... history is not coffee house fun game... claims without proofs may be misleading... otherwise I am happy with your enthu in history... we need "skandh"(soldier) like you...

-vinod

whole scandinavia is named after seokands. it originally meant skandh nabh i.e. sainikon ka desh. sainiks use 2 b recruited in army based on their heights. n till 2 day average height of scandinavian people is tallest in the world.

plz call me in seokands panchayat next time. i'll explain in detail 2 them.
    there r a few villages of them in muzaffar nagar also.
    Last edited by vinodks; April 13th, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

good start

arrey nice start Sister,

I am also from same village but with zero knowledge on our gotra. Will ask at home if I could find anything.
    I remember my dad telling about panchayat who decided to change all these similar sounding gotra to a common one: sheokhand as per Kapil, so he is correct about that.

Some Interesting facts:
    Also, I know that in our village (Sultanpur Majra), every marriage card has "All dada wale" under RSVP section.
    My grandfather (Dr. Mukhtiar singh shokeen) is now the oldest cool boy in village after his friend "tau sardare" passed few years back.

Some village history after I called home:
    Sheokhands started off from Lahore in late 1800's or early 1900's and stayed in chide-chande near Rohtak for 10-20 years and thereafter moved to Delhi.
    In 1962, some land was taken over by govt. from 3 villages namely Peeragarhi, Sultanpur majra and Mongolpur, which got them good money.
    Soon after getting money, couple of guys from these villages left for BOMBAY to fulfill their tinseltown dreams but couldn't make it and spent all their money . When returned they said, "arrey bhai nu keh the sidehero ka role karlo, par humne tae badda hero banana tha". Ever since then supposedly, people here were called SHOKEEN's , "ki is gaam ke chorre ghane shokeen se".

I was totally laughing like hell when i heard but who knows might be true.

Hope to see other shokeen members pouring more interesting facts.

Thanks
    Rajiv

this is so funny, but i think it was a guy from peeragarhi who left his well established career as a general manager and went to bombay. My dad said he was very good looking (like better than dharmendar and stuff), so i guess he was pretty justified in trying his luck :D

My grandfather's name is Ch. Ram Mehar Singh. We dont have him amongst us any longer as he died in 2000. I remember your grandfather's name and 'Tau Sardare' from talks back home when i was a kid (Are you Mr. Bhupinder Singh's son?). I think the bhats still have very clear family charts of the village. My father has promised me to narrate whatever he and ,my Tauji know about the history of our got.

Hopefully more people can shed light on it...

Priti

Think I agree with the flaw in name-matching logic. That got me thinking on what methods are available to trace history and to find meanings of names (which sound meaningless to children of our and future generations). The most logical thing to do is ask the elders but that could also be hearsay, I dont know...maybe books...what if books do not mention anything ...........

I won't go that far and certainly I won't teach something like that in a panchayats:-)... I think we should refrain from such claims just based on name-matching... history is not coffee house fun game... claims with proofs may be misleading... otherwise I am happy with your enthu in history... we need "skandh"(soldier) like you...

-vinod

Login to view details.
    I won't go that far and certainly I won't teach something like that in a panchayats:-)... I think we should refrain from such claims just based on name-matching... history is not coffee house fun game... claims with proofs may be misleading... otherwise I am happy with your enthu in history... we need "skandh"(soldier) like you...

-vinod
    hindi wala "soldier" or english wala "shoulder", hindi/sanskrit wala skandh or english/europe wala scand (navia).. skandhnabh.. ye hindi english ..sanskrit... plz c my thread on roots of jats. by mistake i floated it not on history channel. can u plz do it?

yes I understand, bhatije, history is not a coffee house.

I'm braj ka jat. You have 2 pay dearly when u burn the grave of akbar at sikandara near agra. that 2 at the time when aurangzeb was there as emperor. you really need a courage to do so in Taj Mahal also where bhusa was filled by us.

Login to view details.
    but I do know that u believe a story of Taj Mahal. That love story. When did u start believing it? just such a big wonder (I hope the 70th one) was designed in a coffee house where my bhatija sangwaan was also dipped in coffee along with all those designers!!!!!!!!1

" you really need a courage to do so in Taj Mahal also where bhusa was filled by us."

do u really proud of it. Then Jat Mahasabha of agra objetcted that "Jat have looted Taj mahal once" that was written there on stone . and this hase been removed from there due to JAT objection
    Men may come and men may go, but I go on forever

Tewathia Bhaisaab...yeh kuchch samajh nahin aa raha.....aap kya kah rahe hain?

please if u can give me some links i can follow....

I'm braj ka jat. You have 2 pay dearly when u burn the grave of akbar at sikandara near agra. that 2 at the time when aurangzeb was there as emperor. you really need a courage to do so in Taj Mahal also where bhusa was filled by us.

Kaku, first of all I don't believe in love story behind Taj mahal... may be love had different meaning in their harems... this ostensible monument also carries memory of hundreds of skilled workers with their hands cut after its completion... Even in terms of architect I didn't find Taj very great.. (Personally, I found Konark temple more impressive than Taj mahal...)

BUT tewatiaji, I don't understand how does it relate to Shokeen and sheokhand... we should stick to the subject of the thread...
    You have habit of inserting unrelated facts in between posts... I agree Jats of mathura were brave when they unearthed Akbar's grave and put bhussa in Taj... but plz stick to the current topic...

-vinod

but I do know that u believe a story of Taj Mahal. That love story. When did u start believing it? just such a big wonder (I hope the 70th one) was designed in a coffee house where my bhatija sangwaan was also dipped in coffee along with all those designers!!!!!!!!1

Login to view details.
    I do agree that history is really not a coffee house. But the way its written in India, convinces me that what you say is correct.

I'll soon come to present topic also. But the glaring example of that is comparison of Rana Pratap with Surajmal. Within less than 2 hours that battle was over. Rana had no plan for future India/Hindustan even if he could have won the battle. In that battle only 3000 soldiers were there. Out of those even 50% were muslims under Hasan Khan Mewati. Remaining many were Bheel, Meena etc. rarely a few were rajputs. The battle was not at all faught for Nation or Religion at all. It was just a usual battle that n e common man or jat fights for his land or house.
    Last edited by sktewatia; April 13th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.