An historical sketch of the native states of India/Bundelkhand
|The full text of this chapter has been converted into Wiki format by Laxman Burdak|
By Col. G. B. Malleson, Publisher: Longmans, Green & Co. London (1875)
Mediatized and Minor Chiefs.
Chiefs who hold their states under sunnuds are bound by Ikrarnamas, or deeds of allegiance, and are vassals and dependants of the British Government.
Panna, Raja of, is descended from a long line of ancestors, who played a conspicuous part in the history of Bundelkhand. The most famous amongst them was Chattar Sal, whose eldest son, Hirdi Sab, inherited from him, with Pannah, territories estimated at an annual value of 38,46,123 rupees.
By wars, internal and external, the importance of Pannah has much diminished since that period. The revenues are reduced to four lakhs of rupees ; the area of the country is 688
the son of Chattar Sal. He has received the right of adoption, and is entitled to a salute of eleven guns. After much trouble, he was induced about fourteen years ago to abolish the rite of sati throughout his territories.
Logassi, Rao of. The ancestor of this chief was grandson of Hirdi Sah, above mentioned. He was in possession of seven villages when the British Government assumed supremacy in Bundelkhand, and he was confirmed in these after executing the usual deed of allegiance. The grandfather of the present held, as his predecessors, the title only of Dewan ; but for his services in 1857 he received that of Rao Bahadur, a jaghir of 2,000 rupees per annum, a dress of honour worth 10,000 rupees, and the privilege of adoption. The name of the present Rao is Hira Singh. The area of Logassi is about 30 square miles, the population about 3,500, and the revenue 17,000 rupees.
Chirkari, Raja of. This was a portion of the country over which, by the treaty of Bassein, 1803, the Peshwa ceded to the British his sovereign claims. The ruler of it was then Raja Bikramajit, a direct descendant from Chattar Sal, who, not however without some repugnance, subscribed to terms of allegiance to the British in 1804.
Raja Ratan Singh, grandson of Bikramajit, rendered good service in 1857. For this he was rewarded by receiving an accession of territory of 20,000 rupees per annum, a dress of honour, the privilege of adoption, and the right to a salute of eleven guns.
The name of the present Raja is Jai Singh Deo. He rules over a territory, the area of which is 880 square miles, the population 81,000, and the revenue about 5,00,000 rupees.
Bijawar, Raja of. The founder of the little state of Bijawar was Barsing Deo, an illegitimate son of Juggut Raj, who was the second son of the famous Chatter Sal. The present ruler, Bhao Pertab Singh, is fourth in descent from Barsing Deo. He rendered good service in the mutinies, for which he received a dress of honour, and the hereditary right to a salute of eleven guns. He has been allowed the right of adoption.
The area of Bijawar is 920 square miles, the population 90,000, and the revenue 3,50,000 rupees.
The present Raja, Narpat Singh, is fifth son in descent from
to Juggut Raj by his father, Chattar Sal. But the dominions of Juggut Raj were dissevered by internal wars, and his descendant, Bukht Singh, was reduced to such indigence that in the latter part of the reign of Ali Bahadur, he was constrained to accept from that sovereign a pittance of two rupees per diem. His condition improved on the occupation of Bundelkhand by the British, and in 1807 he received a sunnud restoring to him a portion of his ancestral possessions. The present chief, Ranjur Singh, is the fourth in descent from Bukht Singh. The area of his territory is 340 square miles, the population 50,000, and the revenue 1,75,000 rupees. He has received the right of adoption.
Surila, Raja of ; also a lineal descendant of Chatter Sal ; rules over 35 square miles of territory, with a population of 4,500, and a revenue of about 24,000 rupees. The Raja, whose name is Hinduput, has received the right of adoption.
Jigni, Rao of; likewise a descendant of Chattar Sal. His territory has an area of 27 square miles, with a population of 2,800, and a revenue of 12,500 rupees. The chief has been granted the privilege of adoption.
The present Rao, Bhopal Singh, is of unsound mind, and the state has been, since 1855, under the direct control of the British Government ; but its affairs are administered by a native superintendent.
Jussu, Raja of; an adopted descendant of Chattar Sal, the line having died out in 1860. The present Raja, Satterjit Singh, who belonged to a branch of the same family, was recognised by the British Grovernment in 1862. The area of his territory is 180 square miles, the population 24,000, and the revenue about 30,000 rupees. He has received the right of adoption.
Behri, Chief of ; also a descendant of Chattar Sal; administers 30 square miles of territory, with a population of 2,500, and a revenue of 25,000 rupees. The present chief, Bijey Singh, was the cousin and nearest relative of his predecessor. He has received the right of adoption.
Chatarpur, Raja of. This state may be said to have been founded by Suni Sah, a servant of Hinduput, great grandson of Chattar Sal.
Hinduput was the second son of his father, but murdering his elder brother and confining the younger, he succeeded to
the inheritance left by Chattar Sal to his eldest son Hirdi Sah. After his death, however, civil war ensued, the inheritance , was dissipated, and Suni Sah saw his way to appropriating a portion to himself. After some vicissitudes, he was recognised by the British Government in 1808 as chief of Chatarpur.
In 1827, the son of Suni Sah, Pertab Singh, was made a Raja by the British Government.
The Raja having died without issue in 1854, the Court of Directors ruled that the state of Chatarpur was clearly an escheat ; but in consideration of the fidelity of the family and the good government of the late Raja, they decided, as an act of grace and favour, to grant the state to a nephew of the late Raja, Juggut Raj, the succession being limited to him and his male descendants.
Juggut Raj attained his majority in 1867, but died in 1868, leaving an infant son. His succession was recognised by the British Government, by whom the state is administered through a native superintendent. The Raja has received permission to adopt. The area of Chatarpur is 1,240 square miles, the population 120,000, and the revenue 300,000 rupees.
Baronda, Raja of; belongs to a very ancient family of Rajputs totally unconnected with Bundelkhand. The state has neither increased nor diminished in extent since it came under British rule. It contains an area of 275 square miles, a population of 24,000, and a revenue of 45,000 rupees. The Raja, Surubjit Singh, has received the right of adoption.
The Chohey family. The Chohey jaghirs are jaghirs administered by members of the Chohey family, whose ancestors possessed themselves of Kalinjer and other districts during the distractions which followed the invasions of Ali Bahadur. They had been retainers of the family of Chattar Sal and had no right to the dominions they had usurped, but the British on assuming sovereignty in Bundelkhand left them in possession, on condition of allegiance.
Subsequently political necessity required that the fort Kalinjer should be surrendered, but other lands were given in exchange.
It is a rule of succession in this family that when heirs fail to any sharer in the family estates, the share shall divided amongst the surviving branches of the family.
There now remain six sharers.
The area of the Chohey jaghirs is estimated at 90 square
miles, the population at 14,000, the revenue at 35,500 rupees.
Behut, Rao of; is descended from the earlier members of. the Tehri family ; administers a state of 15 square miles, with a population of 2,500, and a revenue of 15,000 rupees. Has received the power to adopt.
Alipura, Rao of; a lineal descendant in the direct male line of Chattar Sal ; rules over a state having 85 square miles, a population of 9,000, and producing a revenue of 50,000 rupees. Has received the right of adoption.
Koti, Jaghirdar of; belongs to an old family of the Bhagelas, which have held the jaghir from time immemorial. The area of the state is 100 square miles, the population 30,000, and the revenue 50,000 rupees. The Jaghirdar has received permission to adopt.
Uchera and Nagod, Raja of; belongs likewise to a very old family. The present Raja, Rugovind Singh, did good service in 1857, for which he was rewarded by the grant of an additional jaghir. His estates had been for some time under British management to free them from debt : but they were restored to him in May 1865. The area of the state is 450 suqare miles ; the population 70,000 ; and the revenue 72,400 rupees.
Sohawal, Chief of; descended from Jaghirdars who were feudatories of the Rajas of Pannah ; his independence was recognised by the British in 1809. In consequence of the improvidence of the present Jaghirdar, the state has been for some time under British management. It has an area of 300 square miles ; a population of 50,000 ; and a revenue of 30,000 rupees. The chief has been guaranteed the right of adoption.
Gorihar, Rao of; descended from ancestors in the service of the Rajas of Ajaigarh, who first rebelled against their masters, and then started as the leaders of a band of professed plunderers. At the time of the early British occupation, the British Government sanctioned an offer of 30,000 rupees for the capture of the leader, Ram Singh. He finally surrendered on the promise of receiving a territorial possession on terms similar to those granted to the Bundelkhand chiefs. This was done in November 1807.
The son of this adventurer rendered good service in 1857. For this he was nominated Rao Bahadur, received a dress of honour worth 10,000 rupees, and the privilege of adoption.
This state comprises an area of 76 square miles, with a population of 7,500, and a revenue of 65,000 rupees.
Geraoli, Jaghirdar of; also the descendant of an adventurer, the most active and daring of all who opposed the occupation of Bundelkhand by the British. The father submitted, however, on condition of receiving a full pardon and a provision of land. This was granted in 1812.
The present chief, Randhir Singh, whose conduct in 1857 was not satisfactory, administers a state with an area of 50 square miles, a population of 5,000, and a revenue of 15,000 rupees. He has received the right of adoption.
Niagaon Rebai, Jaghirdar of ; also a descendant of one of the banditti leaders of Bundelkhand. The property consists only of five villages, which are to lapse absolutely at the death of the present Jaghirdar, Juggut Singh.
Myhere (Maihar), Thakur of; descended from a dependant of the Rajas of Rewa. The state has an area of 400 square miles, with a population of 70,000, and a revenue of 74,200 rupees. In consequence of its having been deeply involved in debt by its native ruler, it was for many years under British management. It was made over to the Thakur in 1865.
Baoni, Nawab of; is a lineal descendant of Azof Jah, otherwise known as Chin Kilich Khan, the founder of the family which now rules at Hyderabad. This state is the only state in Bundelkhand ruled by a Mahomedan. It covers an area of 127 square miles, has a population of 19,000, and yields a revenue of 100,000 rupees.
The Husht Bhya Jaghirs, Jaghirdars of; are descended from Dewan Rai Singh, himself descended from one of the Rajas of Tehri. Dewan Rai Singh left an estate called Baragun, which on his death he willed to be divided into eight shares among his eight sons, whence the name of the Husht Bhya Jaghirs. Of these eight shares two were at an early date merged into the remainder ; one reverted to Tehri, and a fourth was, in 1841, confiscated for the rebellion of its owner.
There now remain four Jaghirdars, and four jaghirs covering 85 square miles. The population of all is estimated at 18,000, and the revenue at 81,000 rupees.
Khaniyadhana, Jaghirdar of; administers a small jaghir formerly part of the state of Tehri. It first came formally under British sovereignty in 1862. It has a revenue of 30,000 rupees. The population numbers about 6,000.