Jat Gotras originated from Chekitana
- Chattha (चट्ठा) or Chatthe (चट्ठे) gotra of Jats originated from Chekitana. This clan became famous from the warrior Chekitan during Mahabharata war.  Chattha (चट्ठा) clan Jats are found in Distt Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh and district Jalandhar in Punjab.
List of Mahabharata people and places contains Chekitana (चेकितान) (I.177.10), (1.188), (VI.68.8),(VIII.17.8),
Bhisma Parva, Mahabharata/Book VI Chapter 68 mentions Chekitan in shloka (VI.68.8):
- अभ्यवर्तन्त थुर्धर्षाः समरे शाल्व केकयान
- सात्यकिश चेकितानश च सौभथ्रश च महारदः (VI.68.8)
- Meaning: They were followed by the Kekaya brothers. Behind them was Chedi king Dhristaketu, followed by the Yadava chief Chekitana.
Karna Parva/Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 17 mentions Chekitana (चेकितान) inshloka 8:
- नकुलः सहथेवश च थरौपथेयाः प्रभद्रकाः
- सात्यकिश च शिखण्डी च चेकितानश च वीर्यवान (VIII.17.8)
- Meaning - Then Nakula and Sahadeva, and the sons of Draupadi, and the Prabhadrakas, and Satyaki, and Shikhandi, and Chekitana endued with great energy,--all those heroes--drenched those elephants from every side with their weapons,....
Back to The Ancient Jats