Kuvaal (कुवाल) Kuval (कुवाल) Kuwal (कुवाल) Kuaal (कुआल) Gotra Jats live in Tonk, Jaipur districts in Rajasthan. King Kuvalayapira mentioned in the history of Kashmir by Kalhana ruled from 733-734 AD.
- Kuval clan may get name from King Kuvalayāpira mentioned in the history of Kashmir by Kalhana.
- They probably get name after Kuban geographic region of Southern Russia surrounding the Kuban River.
Jat History connections
Hukum Singh Panwar (Pauria) writes that The Russian archaeologists discovered innumerable graves of the Saka Kings and chieftains in the Kuban, north of the Caucasus (7th-6th century B.C.), in the Crimea, in south Russia, in the Taman peninsula, in the Dnieper Valley as far up as Kiev, as well as in the Don, Donetz and Volga basins as far westwards as the Urals, in the Dunube basin as far west as Hungary and in what used to be East Prussia and is now Western Poland (6th-5th century B.C.)107. Excavations of the Royal Scythian tombs by M.P. Gryazhnov, S.I. Rudenko and others at Pazyryk and other sites in the Western Altai and nearer to lake Baikal (6th-4th century B.C. contemporary of Herodotus's Royal Scythians of South Russia) were most interesting and informative.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Tonk district
Villages in Sawai Madhopur district
Villages in Jaipur district
- Rajatarangini of Kalhana:Kings of Kashmira/List of Kings,p.xxi
- Rajatarangini of Kalhana:Kings of Kashmira/Book IV,pp.81-82
- The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations/The identification of the Jats,p.318
- Artamonov, M.I.; 'Frozen Tombs of the Scythians', in the Scientific American, May, 1965, Vol. 212, No.5, pp. 100-109.
Back to Jat Gotras