The Lathwals belong to the Suryavansh to which Lord Ram too belonged. They were based in the Meerut district of Uttar Pradesh in ancient times. They shifted to Delhi in the 16th century & later to the Sonipat district in 17th century where they settled near the Gohana region in the villages Mundlana & Chidana which were created by two brothers of this Gotra. Currently, most of the people from this gotra live in the town Gohana, mainly in the Adarsh Nagar Colony. Apart from that various families are settled in nearby cities like Sonipat,Panipat & Delhi.
The Lathwals got their surname from their notorious acts they were & still are famous for their down to earth nature & funny behaviour.
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Sonipat district
Villages in Karnal district
- Ch. Shankar Lathwal - He was a very famous landlord of the early 19th century. He was a very respected person in the region due to his charitable activies. He was a very religious person. He belonged to the village Mundlana. It is said that he had donated acres of land to poor people.
- Ganga Ram Lathwal - He was the M.L.A from the Baroda constituentcy of Haryana in the 1970' & 80's. He belonged to the village Mundlana.
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ल-13
- Bhim Singh Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India, s.n. 129.p.240
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.58,s.n. 2191
Back to Gotras