|Author:Laxman Burdak, IFS (R)|
- Majhagava मझगावम, बघेलखंड, म. प्र., (AS, p.693)
- Balugarta (बालुगर्त) (AS, p.625)
- Valugarta/Vâlugarta (वालुगर्त)
Majhgawan town is located in Satna District, Madhya Pradesh, about 16 km north of Kothi and 42 km from Satna. Majhgawan is mostly laid out over hills covered with dense forests and is part of the reserve forest areas of Madhya Pradesh.
Majhgawam Copper-plates of the Maharaja Hastin (510-511 CE)
- Reverence to (the god) Mahâdêva! Hail! In a century of years, increased by ninety-one; in the enjoyment of sovereignty by the Gupta kings; in the prosperous augmenting Mahâ-Chaitra samvatsara; on the third lunar day of the dark fortnight of the month Mâgha,— on this (lunar day), (specified) as above by the samvatsara and month and day,—
- (Line 3.)— By the Mahârâja, the illustrious Hastin,— who is born in the family of a kingly ascetic;— who is the great-grandson of the Mahârâja Dêvâdhya;— who is the grandson of the Mahârâja, the illustrious Prabhañjana;— who is the son of the Mahârâja, the illustrious Dâmôdara;— who is the giver of thousands of cows, and elephants, and horses, and gold, and many lands;— who is earnest in paying respect to (his) spiritual preceptor and (his) father and mother;— who is extremely devoted to the gods and Brâhmans;— who has been victorious in many hundreds of battles;— (and) who causes the happiness of his own race,—
- (L. 6.)— (By him), at the agreeable request of Mahâdêvidêva, the village named Vâlugarta, in accordance with the usage of the specification of (its) ancient boundaries, with the udranga and the uparikara, (and with the privilege that it is) not to be entered by the irregular or the regular troops, is granted as an agrâhâra, by a copper-charter,— for the purpose of increasing the religious merit of (his) parents and of himself, and in order to erect the steps of a ladder leading to heaven, acceptable to Mahâdêvidêva,— to these Brâhmans, of the Aupamanyava gôtra, students of the Chhandôga-Kauthuma (shâkhâ), (viz.) Govindasvâmin, Gômikasvâmin, and Dêvasvâmin,— to be enjoyed by (their) sons and sons' sons, with the exception of (the proceeds of fines imposed on) thieves.
- (L. 10.)— Therefore, even in future times, no obstacle (to the enjoyment of this grant) is to be caused by those who are born in Our family, or by my feudatories. This injunction having been given, he who behaves otherwise,— him I will consume with a great contempt, even when I have passed into another body.
- (L. 12.)— And it has been said by the venerable supreme sage, Vyâsa, the arranger of the Vêdas,— "O Yudhishthira, best of kings, carefully preserve land that has previously been given to the twice-born; (verily) the preservation (of a grant) is more meritorious than making a grant! The earth has been enjoyed by many kings, commencing with Sagara; whosoever at any time possesses the earth, to him belongs, at that time, the reward (of this grant that is now made, if he continue it)! The giver of land enjoys happiness in heaven for sixty thousand years; (but) the confiscator (of a grant), and he who assents (to an act of confiscation), shall dwell for the same number of years in hell! He becomes a worm in ordure, and is tormented together with his ancestors, who confiscates land that has been given, whether by himself or by another! Those who confiscate a previous grant, are born (again) as black serpents, inhabiting the dried-up hollows of trees, in desert places destitute of water!"
- (L. 18.)— And (this charter) has been written by the Mahâsâmdhivigrahika Vibhudatta, the son of the great-grandson of the Amâtya Vakra; the great-grandson of the Bhôgika Naradatta; the grandson of Ravidatta; (and) the son of Sûryadatta. The Mahâbalâdhikrita Nâgasiriha (is) the Dûtaka. The year 100 (and) 90 (and) 1; (the month) Mâgha; the day 3. 
मझगावम (AS, p.693), बघेलखंड, म. प्र.में भूतपूर्व नागौद रियासत (मध्य प्रदेश) में स्थित है. इस स्थान से परिव्राजक महाराज हस्तिन का 191 गुप्त संवत (=510 ई.) का एक ताम्रपट्ट-अभिलेख प्राप्त हुआ था जिसमें महादेवी देव नामक व्यक्ति की प्रार्थना पर महाराज हस्तिन द्वारा बालुगर्त नाम के गाँव को कुछ ब्राह्मणों के लिए दान में दिए जाने का उल्लेख है।
बालुगर्त (AS, p.625) बालुगर्त नामक गाँव का नाम 'मझगावम' (नागौद, मध्य प्रदेश) से प्राप्त 191 गुप्त संवत (=510 ई.) के, परिव्राजक महाराज हस्तिन के अभिलेख (ताम्रपट्टलेख) में आया है। मझगावम से प्राप्त अभिलेख में बालुगर्त नाम के गाँव को कुछ ब्राह्मणों के लिए दान में दिए जाने का उल्लेख है। ऐसा प्रतीत होता है कि यह ग्राम मझगावम के निकट ही स्थित रहा होगा।