Mahiya (महिया) Mahia (महिया) Moiya (मईया) Maeeya (मईया) Mahiy (माहीय) Mohiya (मोहिया)Maiya (मैया) is an Ancient Jat Gotra found in Rajasthan and Gujarat. Mahiya is a Gotra of the Anjana Jats in Gujarat.
- 1 Origin
- 2 History
- 3 In Mahavansa
- 4 मोहिलों का राज
- 5 Villages founded by Mahiya clan
- 6 Mahi River
- 7 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 8 Distribution in Haryana
- 9 Distribution in Pakistan
- 10 Notable persons
- 11 See also
- 12 References
They may also get name from Mahi River.
Mahiyangana - The son of king Devanampiyatissa's brother, named Uddhaculabhaya saw the wondrous cetiya and (again) covered it over and made it thirty cubits high. The king Dutthagamani dwelling there while he made war upon the Damilas, built a mantle cetiya over it eighty cubits high. Thus was the Mahiyangana-thupa completed. When he had thus made our island a fit dwelling-place for men, the mighty ruler, valiant as are great heroes, departed for Uruvela. Here ends the Visit to Mahiyangana. (Mahiyangana→Mahiya)
Mahavansa/Chapter 25 tells....The king Dutthagamani marched forth to the land on the further side of the river to bring glory to the doctrine. When he had caused the read in Malaya leading hither to be made ready he mounted the elephant Kandula and, surrounded by his warriors, he took the field with a mighty host. With the one end yet in Mahagama the train of the army reached to Guttahalaka. Arrived at Mahiyangana he overpowered the Damila Chatta. When he had slain the Damilas in that very place he came then to Ambatitthaka, which had a trench leading from the river, and (conquered) the Damila Titthamba; fighting the crafty and powerful foe for four months he (finally) overcame him. (here Gutta is prakrit form of Jutta or Jutta or Jatta) (Mahiyangana→Mahiya)
Mahiya, Lamba - Mahavansa/Chapter 36 tells....At that time) three Lambakannas lived in friendship at Mahiyangana: Samghatissa and Samghabodhi, the third being Gothakabhaya. When they were coming (to Anuradhapura) to do service to the king, a blind man who had the gift of prophecy, being by the edge of the Tissa-tank, cried out at the sound of their footsteps. (Mahiyangana→Mahiya)
मोहिलों का राज
कसवां जाटों के भाटों तथा उनके पुरोहित दाहिमा ब्रह्मण की बही से ज्ञात होता है की कंसुपाल पड़िहार 5000 फौज के साथ मंडोर छोड़कर पहले तालछापर पर आए, जहाँ मोहिलों का राज था. कंसुपाल ने मोहिलों को हराकर छापर पर अधिकार कर लिया. (मध्यकालीन राजस्थान में जाट जनपद)
Villages founded by Mahiya clan
- Dulchasar - Dulram Mahia Jat founded the village about 200 years back.
- Mahiyon Ki Dhani (महियों की ढाणी) - village in Nagaur district in Rajasthan.
- Mahiyasar (महियासर) - village in Degana tehsil of Nagaur district in Rajasthan.
- Mahiyanwali (महियांवाली) - Village in Ganganagar district in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
The Mahi is a river in western India. It rises in Madhya Pradesh and, after flowing through the Vagad region of Rajasthan, enters Gujarat and falls into the sea by a wide estuary near Cambay. Its total length is 500 km. and its estimated drainage area 40,000 sq. km. It has given its name to the Mahi Kantha agency of Bombay, and also to the mehwasis, marauding highlanders often mentioned in Arabian chronicles.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Churu district
Other villages in the district having Mahiya gotra Jats are:
Villages in Ganganagar district
Villages in Hanumangarh district
Villages in Nagaur district
Villages in Barmer district
Villages in Jodhpur district
Locations in Jaipur city
Ganesh Colony (Khatipura),
Villages in Bikaner district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Sirsa District
Distribution in Pakistan
Mahya = 70 Thar
- Hari Singh Mahiya (सरदार हरीसिंह महिया), from Bilyoowas Mahiyan (बिल्यूंबास महियान), Sardarshahr, Churu, was a Social worker in Churu, Rajasthan. 
- Shiv Ram Maiya (born:1913) (चौधरी शिवराम मैया), from Jakhera (जाखेड़ा), Nagaur, was a social worker in Nagaur, Rajasthan.
- Ganesh Ram Mahiya - खानपुर के गणेशाराम माहिया, ने सूबेदार पन्नाराम मण्डा के साथ जोधपुर, नागौर, डेगाना, डीडवाना आदि अंचलों में गाँव-गाँव व ढाणी-ढाणी जाकर किसानों को अन्यायकारी व्यवस्था का विरोध करने के लिए जाग्रत किया।
- Retd. Col Hukma Ram Choudhary (Mahiya) - Jaipur Ph:0141-2340333
- Ghasi Ram Mahiya - Date of Birth : 9.2.1956, Research Awardee College Education, VPO-Fransa, tah-Ratangarh, Churu, Rajasthan. Present Address : 187, Guru Jambeshwar Nagar-A, Queen's Road, Jaipur, Phone: 0141-2358458, Mob: 9413339771
- Deda Ram (Mahia) - Principal, Date of Birth : 25-January-1957, 2nd PG in Churu, Principal, VPO - Bhukhredi, Teah. - Ratangarh, Dist.- Churu, Rajasthan, Present Address : C-310,VAN VIHAR COLONY, CHURU, RAJASTHAN, Resident Phone Number : 01562-254693, Mobile Number : 9414327736
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.55,s.n. 1992,2002
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. म-58
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.56,s.n. 2033
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.56,s.n. 2089
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al: Adhunik Jat Itihas, p. 275
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India,p.287
- ( M. Williams). (p.815) ; Bhisma Para, IX / 46 , 49
- मह्युत्तराः परावृषेया भार्गवाश च जनाधिप । पुण्ड्रा भार्गाः किराताश च सुदॊष्णाः परमुदास तदा Mahabharata (6.10.49)
- Thakur Deshraj:Jat Jan Sewak, 1949, p.142-143
- Thakur Deshraj:Jat Jan Sewak, 1949, p.191-192
- 'जुल्म की कहानी किसान की जबानी' (2006), लेखक - भीमसिंह आर्य, प्रकाशक - मरुधर प्रकाशन, आर्य टाईप सेंटर- सुजानगढ़ (चूरू), पृ.212
Back to Jat Gotras