Dr. Rajendra Singh Paroda , Padma Bhushan, an internationally renowned eminent agricultural research scientist and an undisputed leader of the agricultural scientific community in the country. Dr. Paroda is known internationally for his contribution towards promotion and conservation of biodiversity. He is a former Director General of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Government of India.
He has held several prestigious portfolios and assignments at the national and international levels, such as:
- Chairman of the Governing Board of the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT);
- Member, Policy Advisory Council of the Australian Center for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR);
- Member, Finance Committee of the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR);
- Member of the Governing Board, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux International (CABI);
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) and Director General, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- Rafi Ahmad Kidwai Memorial Prize (1982–83),
- ICAR Team Research Award (1983–84),
- FICCI Award (1988),
- Om Prakash Bhasin Award (1992),
- Asia-Pacific Seed Association Special Award (1995),
- CGIAR Award for Outstanding Partnership (2000),
- Life Time Award by Association of Agricultural Scientists in America (2001),
- Dr Harbhajan Singh Memorial Award (2001),
- Silver Jubilee Commemoration Medal (2001) by the Indian National Science Academy (INSA),
- Dr B.P. Pal Memorial Award (2003),
- Dr. R.S. Paroda was selected for the prestigious Norman E. Borlaug Award, given by Coromandel Fertilisers, a constituent of the Murugappa Group for 2005. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a gold medal and a citation. It is given for meritorious contributions in the field of agriculture research. He also received Norman Borlaug Award on 5 January 2006 from the President Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at a function in the 93rd Indian Science Congress held in Hyderabad.
- ISCA Gold Medal for Excellence in Science (2006),
- Gold Medal from Ministry of Agriculture of Armenia (2006),
- Life Time Achievement Award of 'Agriculture Today' (2008),
- Dr A.B. Joshi Memorial Award (2012) presented by Prime Minister of India Dr Manmohan Singh,
- Prof. Kanniyan Memorial Award (2012),
- Gold Medal from Ministry of Agriculture of Vietnam (2012),
- Krishi Shiromani Samman by Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd. (2013).
Padma Bhushan Award in 1998
Fellow of Science Academies
He is the president of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) and the fellow of the Indian Science Academy, National Academy of Sciences and the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS). He is also the chairman of the Global Forum on Agricultural Research (GFAR) and Executive Secretary of the Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI).
Dr Paroda is a Fellow of almost all Science Academies of India, beside Fellow of Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Tajik Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Armenian Academy of Agricultural Sciences and the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences. He is also elected Honorary Member of the American Society of Agronomy and the Crop Science Society of America. He has been conferred honorary D.Sc. Degree by 15 academic institutions including Ohio State University, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Scientific Council of Agricultural Academy, Republic of Azerbaijan and State Agricultural Universities at Pantnagar, Kanpur, Jorhat, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Udaipur, Varanasi, Srinagar, Meerut, Bhubneshwar, Ludhiana and Dharwad. He also received Honorary degrees from Agricultural Universities of Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
International Crop research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Hyderabad has named its Gene Bank after him as 'Rajendra S. Paroda Gene Bank'.
Currently, he is serving as Chairman of the Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Sciences (TAAS) and as Chairman of Haryana Farmers' Commission.
- Business Line: R.S. Paroda to get Borlaug award
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015.
Back to The Technocrats