Shis Ram Ola
Shis Ram Ola (30.7.1927 - 15.12.2013) was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represented the Jhunjhunu Constituency of Rajasthan and was a member of the Indian National Congress. In his last days,he was the Deputy Leader of CPB in Lok Sabha and former Cabinet Minister for Mines. His Father was Choudhary Mangla Ram, Ola gotra Hindu Jat. Wif’s name : Smt. Sheobai. He was born in village Ardawata, Distt. Jhunjhunu (Rajasthan). He left 2 Sons and one daughter.
Sis Ram Ola was professional agriculturist. He also served in the Indian Defence Services. Later, he adopted political and Social life.
- 1957-1990 and 1993-96 Member, Rajasthan Legislative Assembly
- 1980-1990 Cabinet Minister,Government of Rajasthan for ten years (incharge of Panchayati Raj, Rural Development, Forest and Environment, Public Health, Engineering Department, Irrigation, Transport, Co-operatives, Excise, Under-ground Water and Soldiers` Welfare)
- 1960-77 Zila Pramukh, Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan
- 1960-95 Member, Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee (P.C.C.),
- Member, Executive Committee, R.P.C.C.,
- Chairman, Kisan Cell, R.P.C.C., Rajasthan
- Treasurer, P.C.C., Rajasthan
- Member, Pradesh Congress Election Committee
- Member, Executive, Congress Legislative Party, Rajasthan Legislative Assembly
- 1972 onwards Member, All India Congress Committee (A.I.C.C.)
- 1996 Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 1996-97 Union Minister of State, Chemicals and Fertilizers (Independent Charge)
- 1997-98 Union Minister of State, Water Resources (Independent Charge)
- 1998 Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1998-99 Member, Committee on Commerce and its Sub-Committee on Textiles
- Member, Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Defence
- 1999 Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1999-2004 Member, Committee on Petitions
- Member, Committee on Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme
- Member, Committee on Food, Civil Supplies and Public Distribution
- 2004 Elected to 14th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- 2009 elected to 15th Lok Sabha (5th Term)
- 23 May 2004-27 Nov. 2004 Union Cabinet Minister, Labour and Employment
- 27 Nov. 2004 onwards Union Cabinet Minister, Mines
- 2009: Elected Congress MP from Jhunjhunu
- June 17, 2013 : sworn as Cabinet Minister for Labour.
Social And Cultural Activities
Conferred Padma Shree Award for Social Service in 1968; started girls education in a remote area in rural Rajasthan with three girls in the school known as Indira Gandhi Balika Niketan Ardawata in 1952; as a result of his efforts since 1952, brought Jhunjhunu district to third place in literacy (in Rajasthan)
Australia, Bangladesh, China, France, Oman, Switzerland, U.K. and U.S.A.
He had served as President, Bharat Krishak Samaj, Rajasthan; Honorary Recruiting Officer, 1948-65; Member, (i) Governing Body, All India Bharat Krishak Samaj; (ii) Rajasthan Soldiers Board; (iii) Rajasthan Mines and Minerals Advisory Board; (iv) High Power Committee of Defence Ministry for Ex-servicemen; (v) Board of Tourism; (vi) Rajasthan Shahid Samarak Samiti; (vii) Freedom Fighters’ Assistance Committee; (viii) National Cadet Corps (N.C.C.) Advisory Board; (ix) Territorial Army Advisory Committee; (x) Rajasthan Desert Development Commission; (xi) Rajasthan Planning Board; (xii) State Sports Council; and (xiii) State Telephone Committee etc.
He died on 15 December 2013.
- Official biographical sketch in Parliament of India website
- Sonia and Rahul Gandhi pay Tribute to Shish Ram Ola
Back to The Leaders