Sompal Singh Shastri
Sompal Singh Shastri (सोमपालसिंह शास्त्री) (Saroha) is a political leader from Uttar Pradesh. He belongs to district Bagpat (Uttar Pradesh). He is very honest and outstanding personality of this area and well known at national and international level. He created history when he defeated Ajit in Lok Sabha election from Baghpat seat in 1998 when he contested the election from BJP ticket. In May 2009 election, he again contested the election from Bagpat seat against Ajit. Sompal ji lost this election by a narrow margin of votes.
On September 2013, Sompal Shastri refused to contest Lok Sabha polls under the Samajwadi Party banner. In a letter written to party president Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mr. Shastri said he was not in a position to contest the Lok Sabha polls from Baghpat after the violence in which over 38 people were killed. The incidents of communal violence in Muzaffarnagar, Shamli and Baghpat were unfortunate, he said.
Sompal ji has strong following in the Jat community. He played a major role for the upliftment of farmers and other community members. He had been Minister for Agriculture, Govt. of India and Member of Planning Commission, Govt. of India. He is presently Vice Chairman, State Planning Board, Madhya Pradesh. He is a highly respected expert in agriculture. The sheer comprehensiveness of his knowledge and the command of vast array of facts and figures at his fingertips are impressive. He is articulate in a number of languages including English and Hindi. He is honored with the Shastri title for Sanskrit scholarship. He belongs to the Saroha Gotra and is from village Kakor Kalan.
- 1 Family background
- 2 His family
- 3 Education
- 4 Important Positions/Assignments held
- 5 International Conference
- 6 Countries visited
- 7 Committees of Indian Parliament
- 8 Other positions/ Assignments
- 9 Social Activities
- 10 Books published
- 11 Hobbies
- 12 Sports
- 13 Short Bio Data
- 14 Contact details
- 15 External links
Sompal Singh Shastri was born on 20 January 1942 at village Kakor Kalan in Bagpat district of Uttar Pradesh state in India, in the family of Late Shri Raghuvir Singh Shastri. His father late Shri Raghuvir Singh Shastri was member of Parliament, 4th Lok Sabha 1967-70; Vice Chancellor, Gurukul Kangri University, Hardwar 1971-76, Chancellor, Gurukul Kangri University, 1980-82; Secretary General, Punjab Arya Pratinidhi Sabha and Sarvadeshik Arya Pratinidhi Sabha (The Apex body of Arya Samaj Organization); a renowned scholar of Sanskrit, Hindi and History, an eminent educationist and a social reformer. His mother late Smt. Gangadevi was a social worker.
He married with Smt Radha on 14 May 1964. He has got One son and two daughters.
He completed his High School from Uttar Pradesh Board, Allahabad,1957; B.A. Hons. (Economics), Delhi University,1961; M.A. (Economics), Delhi University, 1964; LL.B., Delhi University, 1967.
Important Positions/Assignments held
- Chairman, National Commission on Farmers, Government of India, 2004.
- Member, 12th Finance Commission, Government of India 2002-2004.
- Member, Planning Commission, Government of India, 1999-2004
- Minister of State for Agriculture and Water Resources, Govt. of India, 1998-99.
- Member of Parliament (12th Lok Sabha) from Baghpat,UP 1998-99
- Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha), 1990-92 and 1992-98
- Co-Chairman, India-Japan Eminent Persons Group, 1999-2002
- Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs, 1996-97
- Chairman, Social Audit Committee of the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India for Soil Salinity Research 1997.
- Chairman & Convener of India-Japan Parliamentary Association of Indian Parliament - 1996-98
- Convener, Sub-committee of Parliamentary Standing Committee of Finance for the Approach Paper to Ninth Five Year Plan, 1997.
- Member Indian Parliamentary Delegation to Inter Parliamentary Union Conference April 6 -11, 1992 at Younde, Cameroon , Africa.
- Conference of SAARC Opposition Leaders held at Karachi, Pakistan 6-9 September, 1992.
- Represented Janata Dal at Nepal Communist Party Golden Jubilee Conference held at Kathmandu, January,1993.
- Member of Indian Parliamentary Delegation to Australia led by the Vice-President of India April 14-23,1994,
- SAARC Conference of Members of Parliament on Conflict Resolution held in Maldives in May, 1995.
- Two Seminars on Good Governance organized by the International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Assistance, Stockholm, Sweden, March 6-11, 1997.
- Member of the Indian Parliamentary Delegation in 52nd U.N. General Assembly Session in U.S.A. -1997.
- Leader of Indian Delegation to FAO 24th Asian Regional Conference at Yangon, Myanmar 22-24 April, 1998
- Represented India at FAO Asia Pacific Conference on Disaster Management at Chiangmai, Thailand 12-15 June, 2001
- Conference on Dams and Development Forum of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Nairobi, 8-9 July, 2002.
- Keynote Address at International Water Conference organized by Secretariat of Dialogue on Water for Food and Environment, a UN Body at Hanoi, 14-16 October,2002
- Represented India in the West Africa Regional Workshop on Cotton at Lome, Togo, 25-26 November, 2002
- Acted as one of the Global Evaluators in Challenge Programme on Water and Food organized by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI-CGIAR) at Colombo, Sri Lanka, 5-9 May, 2003
- Led the Indian Delegation to study Organic Agriculture in Switzerland, 30th June to 6th July, 2003 on invitation from Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO)
- Led Indian Delegation in Expert Group Meeting (EGM) on the Establishment of Asia-Pacific Traditional Medicine Network (APTMNET) organized by United Nations at Wuhan, China 16-20 September, 2003
- Meetings with Federal/State Govts. of USA and Canada, 11-20 October, 2003 as Member of the 12th Finance Commission.
- Meetings with the Australian State Ministry of Finance, Local Government, Tax Research Foundation, Common Wealth Grants Commission, etc. 12-21 March, 2004 as Member of the 12th Finance Commission.
Australia, Argentina, Bulgaria, Canada, Cuba, Camernoon, China, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Maldives, Mauritius, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nigeria, Nepal, Pakistan, Rwanda, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tanzania, Turkmenistan, Togo, U.K., U.S.A., U.A.E., Vietnam
Committees of Indian Parliament
- Chairman, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs, 1996-97
- Chairman, Social Audit Committee of the Ministry of Agriculure, Govt. of India, for Soil Salinity Research, 1997
- Chairman & Convener of India-Japan Parliamentary Association of Indian Parliament- 1996-98
- Chairman, Parliamentary Committee on problems of Cotton Growers 1996-97
- Member, Parliamentary Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Defence, 1990.
- Member, Drafting Committee of Parliamentary Committee on Draft Agriculture Policy Resolution, 1992.
- Member, Parliamentary Committee on Agriculture, 1990-92.
- Member, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Ministry of Agriculture, Food Processing and Water Resources, 1993-94.
- Member, Parliamentary Consultative Committee, Ministry of Water Resources 1991-94.
- Member, Parliamentary Joint Committee on Offices of Profit 1991-93.
- Member, Advisory Committee for Centrally Sponsored Command Area Development Programme of Ministry of Water Resources 1994.
- Member, Parliamentary Consultative Committee on the UP Legislature (Delegation of Powers) Action, 1993-94
- Member, Joint Parliamentary Committee on Fertilizer Pricing Policy, 1992.
- Member, Parliamentary Select Committee on Trade Marfks Bill, 1995.
- Member, Parliamentary Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Rajya Sabha , 1995-96
- Member, Parliamentary Select Committee on Employee Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions (Amendment) Bill, 1993.
- Member, General Purposes Committee, Rajya Sabha 1996-98
- Member, Department related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance 1996-98
- Member, Parliamentary Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Environment and Forests 1996-97
- Member, Informal Consultative Committee of M.Ps for Northern Railway 1996-97.
- Member, Committee of Privileges, Rajya Sabha , 1997
- Member, Parliamentary Consultative Committee for Punjab State Legislature, 1990.
- Member, Expert Committee of Agricultural Development of Lower Productivity Regions of India, 1996.
Other positions/ Assignments
- Secretary, Farm Cell, All India Janta Dal, 1990-94
- Member, Political Affairs Committee, UP Janata Dal, 1991-95
- Life Member, Indian Inter Parliamentary Group
- Member, Indo-German Parliamentary Group
- Member, All India Indo-Arab Friendship Association
- Member, All India Prohibition Council Executive Committee
- Founder Member and Member Executive Committee, Federation of Legislators of India
- Member, Central Council of Indian Institutes of Technology, 1990-92
- Member, Executive Committee Bharatiya Cattle Resource Development Foundation since 1992.
- Member, United International foundation Parliamentary Group since 1993
- Member, Forum of Parliamentarians on Intellectual Property Rights since 1994.
- Member, G.B. Pant Himalaya Paryavaran Avam Vikas Samiti, Ministry of Evironment and Forests since 1996.
- Member, Hindi Advisory Committee, Ministry of Industry, Govt of India, 1996-98
- Member, Indian Council of Agricultural Research Society since 1993-2004
- Member, National institute of Rural Development (NIRD), Hyderabad, General Council
- Member, Governing Body, Indian Council of Medical Research 1996-98.
- Member, Parliamentarians' Forum for Development of Cooperative Movement.
- Member, Court of the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 1998-2001
- Member, National Institute of Hydrology Society from 1999 -2004.
- Vice President of National Institute of Hydrology Society, Roorkee, 1998-99.
- Founder Member, Bhoovigyan Vikas Foundation, New Delhi
- Founder Member and Member of the Board, International Competence Centre for Organic Agriculture, Bangalore.
- Senate and Academic Council, Gurukul Kangri University, Hardwar- Member for several years.
- Member, Managing Committee.Central Avion Research Institute (ICAR), Bareilly-1986-89
- Life Member and Member Executive Committee, Maharaja Surajmal Education Society andInstitute,New Delhi
- President, New Delhi Tae-Kwan-Do Training Institute, New Delhi,
- Life Member. Arya Mahavidyalaya Kirthal, Distt. Meerut.
- Life Member, Swami Keshavnand Smriti Charitable Trust, Sangaria, Rajasthan.
- Member, Managing Committee 1994-97 and President since 1997 till date, Shradhanand Sewa Trust and Pichhde Warg Sewa Sangh.
- Member, Executive Committee, SEARCH- A voluntary organization of renowned intellectuals.
- Life Member. Swaralaya Music and Fine Arts Society.
Pathik (Hindi), Hindi Geeta
Photography, travel, reading books on religion and philosophy
Shooting, Secured Silver Medal, N.R.A. XXXIV, Shooting Championship 1990 in item 40, Open Sight 22 rifle shooting in prone position. Life Member, Delhi Rifles Association
Short Bio Data
The short bio data is available at the following link: http://rajyasabha.nic.in/rsnew/pre_member/1952_2003/s.pdf
- SOM PAL, SHRI : M.A., LL.B.; J. D. (Uttar Pradesh); s. of Shri Raghuvir Singh Shastri; b. January 20, 1942; m. Shrimati Radha, 1 s. and 2 d.; Member, Rajya Sabha, 23-3-1990 to 4-7-1992 and 5-7-1992 to 27-12-1997; Chairman, Department-related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs, 1996-97.
- Per. Add. : Village and :Post Office Kakor Kalan, Block Chhaprauli, District Meerut (Uttar Pradesh).
- Present address - Residence : C-2/4, Char Imli, Bhopal-426016, Tel. No. 0755-4222789/2423834
- Present address - Office : 5th Floor, Vallabh Bhawan, Room No. 513, Bhopal-462004(India), Tel. No. 0755-2441765
- Permanent Residence : L-502, Ambience Island, NH-8, Gurgaon-122002 (Haryana), Tel: 0124-4005321
- Make agriculture profitable occupation
- Sompal strives to break a Baghpat tradition
- India Today Cover story Winners of 1998
- National Commission on Farmers, at last : Sharad Joshi
- Member's Profile from Planning Commission
- Som Pal banks on caste loyalty
- Jat Mahasabha Haryana
Back to The Leaders