Uttarkashi (उत्तरकाशी) is a town and district in Uttarakhand.
Uttarkashi is situated on the banks of river Bhagirathi at an altitude of 1352 m above sea level. Uttarkashi is home to a number of ashrams and temples and also to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The name of the town reflects its similarity to and location (as north of) the city of Kashi (Varanasi). Similar to Varanasi, town of Uttarkashi is situated on the Ganges, lies next to a hill named Varunavat, on confluence of two rivers Varuna and Asi, has a ghat called Manikarnika Ghat and has a temple dedicated to Shiva (Kashi Vishwanath Temple) in the center of the town.
Bhaironghati is a small settlement at the juncture of the Jadh Ganga and Bhagirathi Rivers in the mountains of northern India. Set between the river banks, there is a rock called Jadh Ganga Gorge. This rock is located beneath a girder bridge of National Highway 108 (NH 108).
List of villages in Uttarkashi district
List Of Villages in Chinyalisaur:
Adni, Anol, Badhangaon, Badimani, Badli, Badsi, Bagee, Bagori, Baldogi, Bamanati, Banadi, Bangaon, Bankot, Barethi, Bharkot, Bhuyara, Chamiyari, Chhaijula, Chhotimani, Chiloth, Chinyalisaur, Dharasu, [Dharkot]], Gadoli, Gamri, Garath , Garhwalgad, Indra, Jagadgaon, Jaspur, Jestwari, Jibya, Jogat Bichla, Jogat Malla , Jogat Talla, Jonkhani, Kainthogi, Kamda, Kansi, Katkhan, Kawagaddi, Khadada, Khalsi, Khand, Kodafedi, Kot, Kumrada, Kuthaldi, Kyari Daski, Kyari Dichli, Malli, Margaon, Mathali, Mathauli, Morgi, Murogi, Nagni Bari, Neri, Pujargaon (gamari), Pujargaon(dashgi), Ramoli, Rauntal , Rikhangaon, Sarp, Sira, Soori, Srikot, Tandol, Tarakot , Thati Gamri(dichli), Tipri (Bisht), Tipri (dashgi), Tulyara, Udkhola,
Villages in Dunda Block:
Arakot, Bari, Bengal, Bhankwad, Bhitri , Bhutanu, Bingsari, Chinwa , Dagoli, Damti Thunara, Dangangaon , Devjani, Devra, Dhara, Dhatmeer, Dobhalgaon, Doni, Duchanu, Fitari, Gangar, Gokul, Hadwari, Haltadi, Jakhol, Jhotadi, Kalap , Kalich, Kasla, Khanna, Khanyasani, Kharsadi, Khedmi, Kiranu, Kotgaon, Kukreda, Kunara, Liwari, Mainjni, Makudi, Masari, Mautar, Mori, Mounda, Naitwar, Nanai, Nuranu, Odata, Osla, Painsar, Pav Talla, Pawani, Pokhri, Pujeli, Regcha , Salra , Saransh, Satta , Satudi, Saur, Sewa, Sidri, Sirga, Thali,
List Of Villages in Naugaon:
Bachangaon, Bagasu, Bajladi, Bakhreti, Banas, Barkot(paulgaon), Basrali, Beef , Bhankoli, Bhansadi, Bhatiya, Bhaunti, Bingsi, Byali, Chaptadi, Chhamrota, Chopra, Dakhyatgaon, Dandagaon, Dandalgaon, Dangurgaon, Darogi, Darsaun, Deval, Dharali, Dhari (mulan), Dhari (palli), Dhuik , Diyadi, Durbil, Eedak , Fari , Gadoli , Gair Banal, Gair Mugarsanti, Gangtadi, Garh Khatal, Gatu, Godin, Gona, Guladi, Halna, Himrol, Jandanu, Jarda, Jugadgaon, Kalogi, Kanda, Kandaoo, Kandari, Kandi, Kanseru, Kaphnaul, Kewalgaon, Khamundi Malli, Khaneda, Khansi, Kharsali, Khirmu, Kimmi, Kisala, Koti (banal), Koti (thakral), Kotiyalgaon, Kotla, Krishna, Kud, Kunsala, Kunwan, Kupda, Kursil, Kuthar, Kuthnaur, Kwadi, Lodan, Manjiyali, Masalgaon, Massu, Matiyali, Molda, Mungra, Muradi, Nagangaon, Nandgaon, Naryunka, Naugaon, Naugaon(godar), Nisni, Odgaon, Palar, Paletha, Pali, Phooldhar , Pindki, Pounti, Rana, Rikhaun, Sarnol, Sidak, Singuni, Sunaldi, Sunara, Syalab, Syalna, Thali, Than, Thanki, Tinya, Tunalka, Upradi, Vajri, Vigradi, Wadiya,
List Of Villages in Purola:
Chandeli, Chaptadi, Devdhung, Dhakada, Ghewra, Gundiyatgaon, Hudoli, Kandiyalgaon, Kantadi, Karada , Khablisera, Khadkyasem, Khaladi, Kimdar, Korna, Koti, Kumola, Kurda, Mahargaon, Mairana, Math , Nagjhala, Nauri, Netri, Panigaon, Pora, Pounti, Pujeli, Purola, Rama, Sankhal, Sar, Shrikot, Sukdala, Sunali, Sweel, Syaluka, Thadhung, Veshti Palli, Vinai,
The name of the town reflects its similarity to and location (as north of) the city of Kashi (Varanasi). Similar to Varanasi, town of Uttarkashi is situated on the Ganges, lies next to a hill named Varun Parvat, on confluence of two rivers Varuna and Asi, has a ghat called Manikarnika Ghat and has a temple dedicated to Shiva (Kashi Vishwanath Temple) in the center of the town. Uttarkashi town is also called as Shivnagri.
There are many small and big rivers in Uttarkashi district. The Yamuna and the Ganges (Bhagirathi) are biggest and holiest among them, their origin is Yamunotri and Gangotri (Gomukh) respectively. Asi Ganga and Jat Ganga are some of the tributaries of the Ganges.
Places of interest
- Yamunotri temple, one of holiest shrines of Hinduism lies in the district, as does its source
- NIM is one of the few mountaineering institutes in India. It conducts various mountaineering and climbing training courses and besides organising climbing expeditions. Bachendri Pal, India's first woman to climb Mount Everest, is an alumnus of NIM.
- Dodital: One of the popular fresh water lake in Uttarkashi. 21 km trek to Dodital starts from Sangamchatti.
- Kandar Devta Mandir
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple
- Ganga Kinare (bank of the Ganges)
- Ujeli (constellation of sages): Ujeli is a neighborhood on the north of the town, where many ashrams are located.
- Tiloth Power Plant: Located in Tiloth village at the fringe of Uttarkashi town; Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project
- Maneri Dam: Located at Maneri (15 km from Uttarkashi town); Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project
- Bhali Dam: Located in Joshiyara village at the lower fringe of the town. Stage 2 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project
- Nachiketa Tal
- Kuteti Devi temple: Located on a small hill across Bhagirathi River
- Joshiyara: A village across Bhagirathi River. Now becoming a neighborhood. It has a famous temple, Kaleshwar Mandir, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Matli: A battalion of Indo-Tibetan Border Police is located here
- Mahidanda: Another battalion of Indo-Tibetan Border Police is located here