Variants of name
Mention by Panini
V. S. Agrawala writes that Gaṇa-pāṭha of Panini refers to janapada Yakṛil-loman (IV.2.110) = mentioned in Bhishmaparva (9.46) and Virataparva (5.4), cooresponding to the region between Etawah in the north, Jalaun and Orai in the south, and Kalpi in the east.
Virata Parva, Mahabharata/ Book IV Chapter 5 mentions location of Yakrilloman (यकृल्लॊमाञ) people in verse (IV.5.4) ...The Pandavas arriving at the dominions of Virata....proceeded in the direction of the river Yamuna....they passed through Yakrilloma and Surasena, leaving behind, on their right, the country of the Panchalas, and on their left, that of the Dasharnas....
Bhisma Parva, Mahabharata/Book VI Chapter 10 ...Describes geography and provinces of Bharatavarsha. The province of Yakrilloman (यकृल्लॊमाञ) people is mentioned in verse (VI.10.44)  ...Yakril-loman along with Anga, Vanga, Kalinga etc.
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.67
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.510
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.62
- विध्यन्तॊ मृगजातानि महेष्वासा महाबलाः, उत्तरेण दशार्णांस ते पाञ्चालान थक्षिणेन तु (IV.5.3); अन्तरेण यकृल्लॊमाञ शूरसेनांश च पाण्डवाः, लुब्धा बरुवाणा मत्स्यस्य विषयं पराविशन वनात (IV.5.4)
- विदेहका मागधाश च सुह्माश च विजयास तदा, अङ्गा वङ्गाः कलिङ्गाश च यकृल लॊमान एव च (VI.10.44)
Back to Mahabharata People