Late Chand Ram, who was also respectfully called Chaudhary Chand Ram (born: June 24, 1923; died: 16 June 2015) belonged to Kharhar village of Jhajjar district in Haryana. He was an MLA in Punjab Assembly right from the first elections in 1952, also held important ministries in the Punjab government. Before Independence, he was a close associate of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar.
He was part of struggle for a separate Haryana state. When Haryana was separated from Punjab in 1966, he was considered to be a leader of masses in the state and gained respect from all the communities, despite his being born in dalit community.
He remained Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana, President of Bharatiya Lok Dal (B.L.D.), in Haryana in 1974-77 and Chairman of Haryana Janata Party. He also remained a member of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha; also held the portfolio of Union Minister of State for Shipping and Transport.
Tribune News Service, Chandigarh June 16, 2015 -
- Haryana's Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki expressed grief over the demise of former Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana Chand Ram. In view of one-day state mourning on June 17 as a mark of respect to Chand Ram, Solanki has cancelled all his programmes at Raj Bhawan scheduled for tomorrow.
- In a condolence message, Solanki described Chand Ram as an efficient administrator, seasoned politician and popular leader. He conveyed his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.
Short Bio Data at Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha websites
(i) Rajya Sabha website - http://rajyasabha.nic.in/rsnew/pre_member/1952_2003/c.pdf
- CHAND RAM, SHRI : M.A., LL.B.; Congress (I) (Haryana); s. of Choudhary Mange Ram; b. June 24, 1923; m. Shrimati Durga Devi, 2 s. and 4 d.; Member, (i) Punjab Legislative Assembly, 1952-57 and 1962-66 and (ii) Punjab Legislative Council,1958-62; Minister, Government of Punjab, 1956-57, 1962-63 and 1965-66; Deputy Chairman, Punjab Legislative Council, 1956-62; Member, Haryana Legislative Assembly, 1966-67; Deputy Chief Minister, Government of Haryana, 1966-67; Member, Lok Sabha, 1977-79; Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Shipping and Transport; Member, Rajya Sabha, 12-3-1983 to 9-4-1984; President, B.L.D., Haryana, 1974-77; Chairman, Haryana Janata Party.
- Per. Add.: 543, Ward No. 16, Ravi Dass Nagar, Rohtak Haryana).
(ii) Lok Sabha Website : http://22.214.171.124/loksabha/writereaddata/biodata_1_12/2333.htm
9th Lok Sabha
CHANDRAM, SHRI*, M.A., LL.B. [Janata Dal** —Uttar Pradesh, Hardoi (SC), 1990]: s. of Mange Ram; b. at Kharhar, Rohtak District, Haryana, June 24, 1923; ed. at Punjab University, Lahore (now in Pakistan), Delhi University; m. Durga Devi, March 16, 1949, 2 s. and 4 d.; Agriculturist, Social Worker, Journalist, Economist;
Public Offices held: Dy. Minister, Panchayat & Welfare, Punjab, 1956-57; Dy. Chairman, Punjab Legislative Council, 1958—62; Minister of State, Panchayat & Welfare, Punjab, 1962; Cabinet Minister, Punjab, 1965-66; Dy. Chief Minister, Haryana, 1966-67; Union Minister of State, Shipping & Transport, August 1977-July 1979;
Previous Association with Political Parties: Member, PCC, Punjab, 1952-66; Gen. Secy. DCC, Rohtak, Punjab, 1954; Member, AICC, 1958-66; President, BLD, Haryana, 1974-77; President, JP, Haryana, 1977-78; Member, Executive Committee and Parliamentary Board, JP, 1977-78;
Previous Membership: Sixth Lok Sabha, 1977—79; Legislative Assembly, Punjab, 1952—57, 1962—66, and Haryana, 1966-67, 1968-77; Member, Legislative Council, Punjab, 1958-62;
Committee Experience: Member, Estimates Committee, Punjab Legislative Assembly, 1952—56; Chairman, Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Haryana Legislative Assembly, 1968—72; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Defence, 1990;
Favourite Pastime and Recreation: Gardening;
Travels Abroad: Afghanistan, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Poland, Switzerland, UK, USSR;
Sports and Clubs: Football, Volleyball, Kabaddi, Playing Cards;
Social Activities: Welfare of SC, ST and other depressed classes; promotion of education for the poor and the adults; campaigns against expensive marriages and for abolition of dowry;
Other Information: Successfully launched Satyagraha in 1947 for restoration of agricultural and to the farmers; District Welfare Officer, 1948; Member, District Board, Rohtak, 1950; Executive Officer Rohtak Municipality, 1950-52;
Permanent Address: 543/19, Ramidas Nagar (Arya Nagar), Rohtak, Haryana.
- Elected in a bye-election on March 1, 1990, caused by the resignation of Shri Parmai Lal on December 11, 1989).
- Member, Janata Dal (S) with effect from January, 11, 1991.