Canon George Rawlinson (23 November 1812 – 7 October 1902) was a 19th-century English scholar, historian, and Christian theologian.
His chief publications are:
- His translation of the 'History of Herodotus' (in collaboration with Sir Henry Rawlinson and Sir John Gardiner Wilkinson), 1858–60;
- The Five Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World, 1862–67; The Sixth Great Oriental Monarchy (Parthian), 1873;
- The Seventh Great Oriental Monarchy (Sassanian), 1875;
- Manual of Ancient History, 1869;
- Historical Illustrations of the Old Testament, 1871;
- The Origin of Nations, 1877;
- History of Ancient Egypt, 1881; Egypt and Babylon, 1885;
- History of Phoenicia, 1889; Parthia, 1893;
- Memoir of Major-General Sir HC Rawlinson, 1898.
- His lectures to an audience at Oxford University on the topic of the accuracy of the Bible in 1859 were published as the apologetic work The Historical Evidences of the Truth of the Scripture Records Stated Anew in later years.
- He was also contributor to the Speaker's Commentary, the Pulpit Commentary, Smith's Dictionary of the Bible, and various similar publications.
- He was the author of the article "Herodotus" in the 9th edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica.
George Rawlinson on Jat History
- Rawlinson, George (1873). The sixth great Oriental monarchy: or, The geography, history, & antiquities of Parthia. Longmans, Green, and co. p. 118
- Rawlinson, George (1893). The story of Parthia. G. P. Putnam's sons. p. 110.
- Rawlinson, George (2004). The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World (2, illustrated ed.). Volume 3 of The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World, Or: The History, Geography and Antiquities of Chaldaea, Assyria, Babylon, Media, Persia, Parthia, and Sassanian, Or the New Persian Empire, George Rawlinson. Gorgias Press LLC. p. 66. ISBN 1593331711, 9781593331719.
- Rawlinson, George (2007). Parthia. Cosimo, Inc. p. 110. ISBN 160206136X.
- Rawlinson, George (2010). The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World: Or, The History, Geography and Antiquities of Chaldæa, Assyria, Babylon, Media, Persia, Parthia, and Sassanian Or New Persian Empire. Volume 3. Nottingham Society. p. 66.
- Rawlinson, George (2012). The Seven Great Monarchies Of The Ancient Eastern World, Vol 6. (of 7): Parthia The History, Geography, And Antiquities Of Chaldaea, Assyria, Babylon, Media, Persia, Parthia, And Sassanian or New Persian Empire, With Maps and Illustrations. Tredition. ISBN 3847205145, 9783847205142.
Back to Jat Historians