|Author:Laxman Burdak, IFS (R)|
Tringalwadi (त्रिंगलवाड़ी) is a village and site of fort located in the Igatpuri taluka of Nashik district. It is located on the ancient trade route passing through Thal ghat. The fort is located near village Tringalwadi.
The village Tringalwadi is located 7 km from Igatpuri. Igatpuri is located on Mumbai-nashik Railway route as well as National Highway NH 160. There are two routes to reach the village Tringalwadi from Igatpuri first one passes through Igatpuri town and the other is by taking a northern exit to NH160 at Ghoti, further passing through village Balayaduri. The Tringalwadi fort is located on a hill which runs north-south. It is a mesa rock formation. The climb is very easy and takes about 30 minutes to reach the top of the fort from the village.
The presence of the caves indicate that the caves and the fort might be constructed around 10th century. The fort was built to overlook the trade route which connected Konkan to Nashik area. In 1636 the Shahaji (father of king Shivaji) had to cede it to the Moghuls after the defeat at mahulifort. It is not known when Shivaji took control of this fort, but in 1688 this fort was won by Moghuls. It is one of the 16 forts which was surrendered to British in 1818 after the fall of Trymbakgad fort
विजयेन्द्र कुमार माथुर ने लेख किया है ...त्रिंगलबाड़ी (AS, p.413) इगतपुरी स्टेशन, महाराष्ट्र से छ: मील की दूरी पर एक पहाड़ी पर बसा हुआ ग्राम है। पहाड़ी के नीचे के भाग में एक शैलकृत जैन गुहा है, जिसका भीतरी कक्ष 35 फुट चौड़ा है। इसके द्वार पर तथा अंदर कई जैन मूर्तियाँ हैं। 1208 ई. का एक अभिलेख भी यहाँ से प्राप्त हुआ है, जिससे गुहा मध्यकालीन प्रमाणित होती है।