Vijender Singh Beniwal
Vijender Singh, the Olympic Bronze Medalist Boxer has made India proud again by winning bronze medal in the middle-weight category at Milan, Italy. This is India's first medal in the World Boxing Championships ever. This has broken a jinx for Indian boxers who have never won a medal in WBC. He won Arjuna Award - 2006 in Boxing. He was decorated with country's prestigious civilian award Padma Shri on 26 January 2010.
His back ground
He comes from village Kaluwas in Bhiwani district in Haryana.Vijender has joined as a Senior Railways Ticket Examiner at Jaipur a few months ago. Vijender’s family owns no land. His father, a driver with Haryana Roadways, has a house in Kaluwas village along the Meham-Bhiwani road. Vijender’s cash rewards for his medals in various international meets have helped the family build a house with all the trappings of a comfortable urban dwelling. It has an inverter to keep the desert coolers running during power cuts. The furniture is new and the kitchen “modern” by village standards.
Vijender has studied in Vaish College in Bhiwani and is graduate. Recently he is seen in commercial Television Ads as well.
Haryana govt has promised him to recruit as DSP in Police.
Vijender’s mother Krishna has also ensured that he got all the milk and curd he needed to make him strong. “Besides, I always gave him the money he wanted to pursue his sport”, she says. Vijender’s elder brother Manoj, a Havildar in the Army, is also a boxer. So are three of his cousins.
His Olympics Career
Beijing Olympics, 2008
Vijender Singh won the Bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing in People's Republic of China. He was the first Indian boxer to win a medal at an Olympic and World Championship game.
Qualifies for London Olympics, 2012
Vijender Singh (75kg) has now become the first Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympic Games for a third Consecutive time, after outpunching Mongolia’s Chuluuntumur Tumurkhyag, 27-17, in his quarterfinal bout.
During an interview after booking his berth at the upcoming Olympic games, the boxer said:
- "I will now give it my all in the Olympics and prove that I am the best. It's such a relief to have got qualified. The fact that I am the first Indian boxer to have qualified for a third successive Olympics makes it all the more special."
While, the national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu said:
- "I don't have words to describe how well he fought. It was a fantastic display by a proven talent".
- “It was a mature performance by Vijender. Despite trailing, he never lost focus or stopped attacking. By the final round, his opponent was no match for him."
The boxer is confident that this time, he will perform even better than the Beijing Olympics.
- Vijender Singh: From Bhiwani to Beijing : The Viewspaper | February 14, 2009
- BBC SPORT | Olympics | Boxing | India's Kumar wins boxing bronze
- Vijender Singh qualifies for London Olympics : Run up to the Olympics - India Today | PTI - New Delhi, April 8, 2012 (UPDATED 07:28 IST)
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics - Hindustan Times | Astana (Kazakhstan), April 08, 2012
- Vijender seals berth for London at last - Hindustan Times | Saurabh Duggal, Hindustan Times - Chandigarh, April 08, 2012
- Indian boxer Vijender Singh qualifies for London Olympics - Sify
- I am back, says Vijender Singh as he qualifies for London Olympics - Sport - DNA | Published: Sunday, Apr 8, 2012, 15:29 IST - Agency: PTI
- Vijender - The Glory Days - | Photos | India Today |
- How to tackle ambition, like Vijender : Run up to the Olympics News - India Today | John Sarkar - New Delhi, November 21, 2011 (UPDATED 13:20 IST)
- BBC NEWS | South Asia | Against the Odds: Vijender Kumar
- Vijender becomes world number one - Times Of India
- 'The world is now scared to face Indian boxers' - Rediff Sports
- ‘Vijender is a winner’
- Vijender Singh: India's very own Gladiator
- Mary Kom, Vijender and Sushil get Khel Ratna - The Hindu
- The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Entertainment | CRICKET MEINbAHUT PAISA HAI,BUT BOXING IS A MAN’s GAME -— VIJENDER SINGH
- Boxer Vijender Singh qualifies for London Olympics AV-Sport Videos - hindustantimes.com
- Boxing will get bigger after London Olympics, says Vijender Singh : Olympics 2012 News - India Today | PTI - New Delhi, February 5, 2012 (UPDATED 17:04 IST)
- Boxing gradually becoming India’s top Olympic sport - Sport - DNA | Published: Sunday, Apr 15, 2012, 10:30 IST - By Mihir Vasavda | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA
Back to The Players