Mention by Panini
Bhim Singh Dahiya writes ....Now let us see how, त (t) of Gitta (ग़ित्त) becomes ' ट ' (T) of Giṭṭa (गिट्ट) This change of dental surd into a cerebral is very common in Prakrit language. Everybody knows how Pattan (पत्तन) becomes Paṭṭan (पट्टन) , in the name Anhillapaṭṭan. Grammarian Vararuchi in his Prakrtaprakasha, formulated a special rule for the change of त (t) into ट (ṭ) (III, 23). Hemachandra also gives examples of ट (t) (III,23). Hemachandra also gives examples of this change of dental into a cerebral, viz., Tagara → Ṭagara, Trasara → Ṭasara, ṭuvara → tuvara.  It is this manner that Jat becomes Jaṭ (जात → जाट).
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Distribution in Pakistan
Khairpur district in the Sindh province of Pakistan has population of Tagar tribe.
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Jalandhar district
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya etc,: Ādhunik Jat Itihas, p. 254
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.42,s.n. 1101
- [[Jat History Thakur Deshraj/Chapter VIII Jump to: navigation, search ]], sn. 358, p.586
- Hukum Singh Panwar:The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations, p.323
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.131, 245
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/The Jats,p.15
- Buddha Prakash, Studies in Ancient Indian History and Civilisation, p. 405. ,p.259
Back to Jat Gotras