Gat (गाट) Gaat (गात), Ghat (घाट) is a Hindu Jat Gotra. The Jats of Gaat, Gat, Gatt gotra are found in Haryana and Rajasthan. Gat (गाट) Jat clan is found in Afghanistanalso. Gat (गत) is a Muhammadan Jat clan found in Montgomery, Pakistan.
We may also note that what MacRitchie has observed : namely that the form Jaut of Jat, (which he came across in the memoirs of Lord Combermare), appears to offer the best compromise...with the popular English form as a similar word Ghat, viz. Ghaut which exactly sounds like Chinese, ngiwat. It is significant, further, that British officers called Jat as Gat but in writing that they spelt it as Gat or Gaut
The implications of this concept were radical and far reaching, for it meant that the distinction between brachycephalic and dolichocephalic characteristics became irrelevant. If Cuno's axiom that language is no test of a race, demolished the thesis of the Scythic origin of the Jats in India and that of the Aryan origin of the German in Europe, Calvin Kephart's formulation dismissed as untenable Risleys artificial distinction between the Aryans and the Scythians, which in fact, belonged to the same race-the white race which later became famous as Aryan or Nordic or Causasian race. He,however, opened up new vistas for fresh approach in the study of the German Goths and Indian Jats who were also occasionally described as Gaut or Gat or Ghator (in plural) in India by some British scholars.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Hanumangarh district
Villages in Nagaur district
Villages in Bikaner district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Sirsa district
- Jetha Ram Gat (जेठाराम गाट) is International Player in Cycling from Karmisar in Bikaner distriuct, Rajasthan.
- Vijender Singh Gatt
Gallery of Gat people
- डॉ पेमाराम:राजस्थान के जाटों का इतिहास, 2010, पृ.299
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.135
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/G,p.280
- The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations/Jat-Its variants, pp.346
- Mac. Ritchie, op.cit., p. 78.
- Princep, Sett, R. of Sialkot, S. 136; 1865. H.A Rose, Gloss. of Trib. and Castes Vol. III, p. 416.
- The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations/The Scythic origin of the Jats, p. 185
- Races of Mankind (Their Origin and Migration), Peter Owen Ltd., London, 1961, p. 261.
- Rice, T.T.; Scythians, London, 1961, p. 39.
- Settlement Report of Distt. Sialkote. Sec. 36. Rose. Gloss. Vol.III. p. 416.
Back to Jat Gotras