- 1 Origin
- 2 Mention by Panini
- 3 In Mahavansa
- 4 History
- 5 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 6 Notable persons from this gotra
- 7 External links
- 8 Reference
- They may get name from Dutta Gamani (161 BC-137 BC), Buddhist king of Sri Lanka.
- They are said to be originated from The Mahabharata Tribe named Duta (दूत).
- Mahendra Singh Arya et all write that they used to work as messengers in old times hence the name of gotra Doot. 
Mention by Panini
Dooth - Mahavansa/Chapter 24 tells....The prince Gamani dwell in Mahagama. The prince Tissa, equipped with troops and chariots did the king cause to be stationed in Dighavapi in order to guard the open country. Afterwards prince Gamani, reviewing his host, sent to announce to his father the king: `I will make war upon the Damilas.' The king, to protect him, forbade him, saying: `The region on this side of the river is enough.' Even to three times he sent to announce the same (reply). `If my father were a man he would not speak thus: therefore shall he put this on.' And therewith Gamani sent him a woman's ornament. And enraged at him the king said: `Make a golden chain! with that will I bind him, for else he cannot be protected.' Then the other fled and went, angered at his father, to Malaya, and because he was wroth with his father they named him Dutthagamani (B.C. 161-137) (Dutthagamani→Duth).
Sabha Parva, Mahabharata/Book II Chapter 28 mentions the Kingdoms subjugated by Sahadeva, who marched towards the southern direction.
- अन्ताखीं चैव रॊमां च यवनानां पुरं तदा
- दूतैर एव वशे चक्रे करं चैनान अथापयत Mahabharata (2.28.49)
- भरु कच्छं गतॊ धीमान दूतान माथ्रवतीसुतः
- परेषयाम आस राजेन्थ्र पौलस्त्याय महात्मने
- विभीषणाय धर्मात्मा परीतिपूर्वम अरिंथमः Mahabharata (2.28.50)
Distribution in Rajasthan
Locations in Jaipur city
Ambabari, Bagruwalon ka Rasta, Dhulkot, Murlipura Scheme, Purani Basti,
Villages in Jhunjhunu district
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Banswara district
Villages in Churu district
Villages in Hanumangarh district
Villages in Nagaur district
Notable persons from this gotra
- Dr. Amar Singh Doot - Date of Birth : 29-July-1955, Designation : M.O.(Med.Directorate), Department : MEDICAL& HEALTH, VPO-Bharang, VIA- Sahawa, TEH.-TARANAGAR,CHURU, Present Address : 43,RAJENDRA NAGAR,SIRSI ROAD,VAISHALI NAGAR,JAIPUR, Resident Phone Number : 0141-2357963, Mobile Number : 9414845363