Mention by Panini
Mahabharata mentions Mati in following verses:
- Mati (मति)(I.60.14), (Daksha's daughter)
- Matiman (मतिमान) (I.61.19), (I.61.60),
- Matinar (मतिनार)(I.89.10), (I.90.24-25,28),
Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Book I Chapter 60 gives genealogy of all the principal creatures. Mati (मति), Daksha's daughter married to Dharma, is listed in verse (I.60.14), (1.66), ...Daksha bestowed, according to the sacred ordinance, ten of his daughters on Dharma...Listen as I recount the wives of Dharma according to their names. They are ten in all--Kirti, Lakshmi, Dhriti, Medha, Pushti, Sraddha, Kria, Buddhi, Lajja, and Mati.
Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Book I Chapter 89 gives History of Puru and Pandavas (Aila dynasty). Matinar (मतिनार) is mentioned in verse (I.89.10)....And Anadhristi had a son of the name of Matinara who became a famous and virtuous king and performed the Rajasuya and the horse-sacrifice. And Matinara had four sons of immeasurable prowess, viz., Tansu, Mahan, Atiratha, and Druhyu of immeasurable glory.
Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Book I Chapter 90 gives History and family tree of Puru, Bharatas and Pandavas commencing from Daksha. Matinar (मतिनार) is listed in verses (I.90.24), (I.90.25), (I.90.28)... And Riksha married Jwala, the daughter of Takshaka, and he begat upon her a son of the name of Matinara, who performed on the bank of Saraswati the twelve years' sacrifice said to be so efficacious. On conclusion of the sacrifice, Saraswati appeared in person before the king and chose him for husband. And he begat upon her a son named Tansu. Here occurs a sloka descriptive of Tansu's descendants. Tansu was born of Saraswati by Matinara. And Tansu himself begat a son named Ilina on his wife, the princess Kalingi.
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.389
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Chapter III,p.230
- बुद्धिर लज्जा मतिश चैव पत्न्यॊ धर्मस्य ता दश, दवाराण्य एतानि धर्मस्य विहितानि सवयं भुवा(I.60.14)
- सूक्ष्मस तु मतिमान राजन कीर्तिमान यः परकीर्तितः, बृहन्त इति विख्यातः कषिताव आसीत स पार्थिवः (I.61.19)
- क्षेमॊग्र तीर्थः कुहरः कलिङ्गेषु नराधिपः, मतिमांश च मनुष्येन्द्र ईश्वरश चेति विश्रुतः (I.61.60)
- मतिनारस ततॊ राजा विद्वांश चर्चेपुतॊ ऽभवत, मतिनार सुता राजंश चत्वारॊ ऽमितविक्रमाः, तंसुर महान अतिरथॊ दरुह्युश चाप्रतिमद्युतिः (I.89.10)
- ऋक्षः खलु तक्षक दुहितरम उपयेमे जवालां नाम, तस्यां पुत्रं मतिनारं नामॊत्पादयाम आस (I.90.24)
- मतिनारः खलु सरस्वत्यां दवादश वार्षिकं सत्रम आजहार (I.90.25)
- तंसुं सरस्वती पुत्रं मतिनाराद अजीजनत, इलिनं जनयाम आस कालिन्द्यां तंसुर आत्मजम (I.90.28)
Back to Jat Villages