Aligarh (अलीगढ़), (Urdu: علی گڑھ) is a city in Aligarh District in Uttar Pradesh.
The city is located about 90 miles south-east of New Delhi. It is the administrative headquarters of Aligarh District, and has a population of half a million. It is mostly known as a university town where the famous Aligarh Muslim University is located.
Tahsils in Aligarh district
- Malaya who ruled Malva named after their gotra.
- Arjunayana who ruled Mewat and Jaipur;
- Yaudheya whose rule included Bikaner and Bahawalpur;
- Madrak whose capital was Sialkot;
- Abir who ruled Badaun, and the Betwa Basin now called Ahirwara;
- Vir Arjun clan who ruled Narisinghpur;
- Sankanika who territory was present Gwalior;
- Karaskar rule extended into present Mathura, Aligarh (there are 80 villages of these Jats in this area at present) and Kharparika.
Its earliest name was Kol. Till the advent of 18th century Aligarh was known as Kol.
After the British occupation of Aligarh in September 1803, the present Aligarh district was formed in 1804 .
Akbar and Jahangir visited Kol on hunting expeditions. Jahangir clearly mentions the forest of Kol, where he killed wolves. From the study of the place-names of the district, it appears that the district was once fairly well covered by forest, thickets and grooves. The early history of the district, indeed down to the 12th century AD is obscure.
Kol or Koil, was the earliest name of the city and Aligarh was the name of the fort nearby. Kol covered not only the city but the entire district, though its geographical limits kept changing from time to time. The historians consider the origin of the name of Kol as obscure. In some ancient texts, Kol has been referred to in the sense of a tribe or Caste, name of a place or mountain and name of a sage or demon. According to Jat historian Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kol (कोल) is a gotra of Jats and these people are descendants of Kapil rishi. 
During the times of Ibrahim Lodhi, when Muhammad, son of Umar was the governor of Kol, he built a fort and named the city after his own name as Muhammadgarh in 1524-25; and Sabit khan who was the governor of this region during the time of Farrukh Siyar and Muhammad Shah, rebuilt the fort and named the town after his own name Sabitgarh. After the occupation of Kol by the Jats in 1755, it was re-named Ramgarh and finally, when a Shia commander, Mirza Najaf Khan, captures Kol, he gave it its present name of Aligarh. Aligarh Fort (also called Aligarh Qila), as it stands today, was built by French engineers under the control of French officers Benoît de Boigne and Perron .
Jat villages in Aligarh district
2. Gharbara - (Kr. Sudhir Singh Attri(09541298486), Kuldeep Singh Attri, Ravi Kumar Attri)
10. Khaida Sattu -
11. Ghangoli(1OKm from Jattari,Tapal)
Jat Gotras in Aligarh district
- Thakur Jhamman Singh - Advocate , Thakur Jhamman Singh who had been chairman of the Jat Sabha for many years. Editor Jat-Veer.
Back to Jat Villages