Villages in Barmer district
Gotras originated from Pingala
- Pandul (पाण्डुल) is gotra of Jats. This gotra originated from Nagavanshi mahapurusha Pingala (पिङ्गल).
- Gora Jats were descendants of Pingala (पिङ्गल). 
Some historians consider them to be descendants of Pingala Rishi of Mahabharata. Mahabharata Adiparva Ch.53 mentions names of Rishis who became the Ritwiks at the snake-sacrifice of the king Janamejaya of the Pandava line. Pingala is one of them:
- असितॊ देवलश चैव नारदः पर्वतस तथा
- आत्रेयः कुण्ड जठरॊ दविजः कुटि घटस तथा Mahabharata(I.48.9), (I.53),
Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 57 tells Names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of the snake-sacrifice. Pingalaka is mentioned in shloka 14 as Nagas of race of Dhritarashtra.
- शङ्कुकर्णः पिङ्गलकः कुठार मुखमेचकौ
- पूर्णाङ्गदः पूर्णमुखः परहसः शकुनिर दरिः Mahabharata: (I.5.14)
Back to The Ancient Jats