Dabas (डबास)/Davas (डवास) Dabas (दबास) is a Gotra of Jats found in Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. It is branch of Chauhan.Dilip Singh Ahlawat has mentioned it as one of the ruling Jat clans in Central Asia. 
This gotra is said to be started after a place named Davas (डवास) in north Vardha. They have 16 villages in Delhi, in the neighborhood of Dahiya Jats and have intimate relations with the latter. They are not descendants of Dahiya Jats but came along with them from Rajasthan. Dilip Singh Ahlawat has mention it as one of the ruling Jat clans in Central Asia. 
B S Dahiya writes:Perhaps they are the same as the Dropice of Herodotus and Derbice of other authors. They were settled in the south east of Caspian sea in sixth century B.C. Perhaps they are the Darvas of Indian literature.
According to puranic legend Dabas are the descendants of Maharishi Dadhichi the great king of Sindh in Vedic period. He had four sons namely Dahiya, Davyas (Dabas), Kundu and Hooda. Dadhichi an emperor turned Maharishi died at the age of 100 years while fighting to non-Aryan tribes. In the battle his four sons fought with utmost bravery and annihilated the non-Aryans.
The epic makers goes on to prove that the families of Dahiya, Dabas, Kundu and Hooda lived together up to the times of Mahabharat in the shape of groups like Soorsaini, Vrishni and Bhoja. They lived in Ujjain, Avantika, Sambal, Inderprastha, Rajasthan and other Northern India parts up to 7th Century AD.
- Dhanpal (his two sons were from Dahiya (Jat) and Dahe (Rajput)
- Virpal (his two sons were Haley (Dabas) and Hande (Hooda)
Haley was married in village Lado Sarai with Heem Kaur of Sheo Raj (Tank Gotra). Haley has one son named Sullan who was married with Raj Dai of Khera village (Rana Gotra). Sullan’s son was Sangte Rana alias Sukhanpal. Sukhanpal was married in Khatri Gotra with Kunjo, daughter of Sewa, Sukhanpal has six sons (1) Kale, (2) Bale (3) Ketha (4) Jeeta (5) Jagdish and (6) Illu.
Dabas finally settled in village Rani Khera (Chauri) after migrating from Rajasthan, first in Chawri Bazar (Inderprastha) and then at Chauri in 1366-67.
Villages founded by Dabas clan
- Dabason Ki Dhani (डबसों की ढाणी) - near Garhbhopji (गढ़ भोपजी), village in Shrimadhopur tehsil in Sikar district in Rajasthan.
Dabas khap has 12 villages around Delhi. Jat gotra is Dabas. head village is Kanjhawla (कंझावला) . 90 villages of this khap are in Uttar Pradesh in Bijnor. The main villages constituting this khap are : Pipli (पीपली) , Sikaida (सिकैडा) , Padli (पाडली) , Lamba Kheda (लाम्बा खेड़ा) , Mandawli (मंडावली) , Jhilmila (झिलमिला) , Nagina (नगीना) , Mujaffara (मुजफ्फरा) , and Dabaso (डबासो) . 
Settlement of Dabas Clan in Various States
Distribution in Delhi
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Jhajjar District
Villages in Hisar District
Villages in Palwal District
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Alwar District
Villages in Jaipur District
Villages in Sikar District
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Gautam Budhnagar district
Villages in Bijnor district
Bhindkali, Muzaffarnagar, Padli, Mandu, Pipli (पीपली) , Sikaida (सिकैडा) , Padli (पाडली) , Lamba Kheda (लाम्बा खेड़ा) , Mandawli (मंडावली) , Jhilmila (झिलमिला) , Nagina (नगीना) , Mujaffara (मुजफ्फरा) , and Dabaso (डबासो) . 
Gram deity of Dabas clan
Dada Ghantal Dev an apostle for Dabas and worshipped as gram deity. A learned and deity among gram deities is also the spiritual head of this Community. He lay to rest on the same place where present Mandir exists. Mandir was built at his Samadhi. Every year men and women from far and near places come to pay homage and to seek blessings for better life and peace from Dada Ghantal Dev in the month of Baishakh on the 9th day of Moon, which also happens to be the birthday of Sita a Character in Ramayana.
Ghantal Dev as Gram Devta and Guru of Raja Virpal, Son of Maharaja Prithviraj Chauhan came to Rani Khera (Chauri) when a queen from royal family left Mehrauli over a trifle of transcendency and Ghantal Dev accompanied her as postulated by their forefathers.
Notable persons from this gotra
- Pravin Dabas - the handsome actor who needs no introduction. He is best remembered for his roles in offbeat films such as Monsoon Wedding and Khosla Ka Ghosla. Is married to Sindhi actress Preeti Jhingiani.
- R. S. Dabas
- J C Dabas - IPS ,Delhi
- Azad Singh Dabas - IFS, Madhya Pradesh, 1985 batch
- Jaideep Dabas - a businessmen, he belongs to a rich landlord family of Sultanpur Dabas village of Delhi. His father Hari Singh Pradhan is a well-known political figure of Outer Delhi.
- Ajit Singh Dabas-Better known as Ch.Ajit Singh, is actually from village Kanjhawala Delhi.
- Dr Pooran Singh Dabas - Sahityakar , Bhasha Vigyani. 
- Mangu Singh (Dabas) - Metro chief Delhi, Mob: 9810079018
- Sunil Dabas - Recipient of Dronacharya award, Coach National women's Kabaddi, Gurgaon (Jat Jyoti:11/2012,p.38)
- Purn Singh Dabas - Retired Professor (2000). DOB:10.7.1038. Served as Professor in Delhi University and Piking. Originally from Majra Dabas. Settled in Delhi, Address: M-93, Saket, New Delhi. Mob:9818211771
Gallery of Dabas people
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ड-38
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.41,s.n. 992
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.237, s.n.44
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.44,s.n. 1218
- Dilip Singh Ahlawat: Jat viron ka Itihas
- Dilip Singh Ahlawat: Jat Viron ka Itihas
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India,p. 280
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania, Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, p. 17
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania, Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, Agra, 2004, p. 17
- Jat Samaj, August 2009, p.33
- Jat Samaj:Agra, November 2013,p.35
Back to Gotras