Gandas (गंडास)  Gadas (गडास) Gedas (गेडास) Gadasia (गडासिया) Gandasia (गंडासिया) Gadasia (गड़ासिया) Gardasik (गरडासिक) is a gotra of Jats found in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab. Ganda (गंडा) are found in Pakistan. Ganda/Gandu clan is found in Afghanistan.  Gendas (गंडास) is a small Jat tribe or got found in tahsils Sangrur and Dadri (now Bhiwani) of Jind. .
- 1 Origin
- 2 In Mahabharata
- 3 History
- 4 Villages founded by Gandas clan
- 5 King of Babylon
- 6 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 7 Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
- 8 Distribution in Haryana
- 9 Distrbution in Punjab
- 10 Distrbution in Pakistan
- 11 Notable person from this gotra
- 12 External Links
- 13 References
According to H.A. Rose writes that the Bagri Jats have certain sections which might appear totemistic, but very rarely is any reverence paid to the totem. Such are :— Gandasia, a form of axe, in tahsil Hansi, Hisar, Haryana.
Villages founded by Gandas clan
- Kherli Gadasiya (खेड़ली गडासिया) (Kherli Gadasia) - village in tahsil Bayana District- Bharatpur in Rajasthan.
- Salasar Balaji - Gandas gotra Jats developed it as 'Gandas ki Dhani'. Tetarwal Gotra Jats named the Salasar Balaji as Tetarwal ki Dhani. Thkur Salam Singh occupied this area and changed the place name from Tetarwal ki Dhani to Salamsar which became Salasar.
King of Babylon
List of Kings of Babylon contains name of Gandaš (fl. ca. 1730 BC)
During Gupta dynasty
In Gupta inscriptions Names of the Vithi-Mahattaras (Vithi-elders) have been mentioned. Kalaikuri Sultanpur Copper-plate Inscription of the Gupta Year 120 (=A.D. 439) mentions about Ganda as a name of Vithi-elders in Line-4. According to lexicographers Ganda means 'the chief; best, excellent'  and thus can signify a hero. The term is also used for the animal rhinoceros, so it can also be a case of a name based on the name of an animal.
Gandas rulers of Gorir
About 1500 years ago a group of Maan people came from Ghazni and settled at place called 'Balavansa' near Delhi. The village Dhosi is surrounded by hills and situated near Narnaul in Haryana. Large number of people come to this place from far off places every year. Many temples and kunds have been constructed here. A fair is also organized at this place. Prior to the Maan people came, Gandas gotra Jats were the rulers here. Bijal Singh was married to Gaurandevi, daughter of Nagal. He founded a village called 'Gorir' in the name of Gaurandevi at a distance of 3 km from Dhosi.
Gandas in Salasar
About five centuries back the present Salasar area was inhabited by Gandas gotra Jats and known as 'Gandas ki Dhani'. At one time there became a severe scarcity of drinking water due to famines in the area. A saint came to the village at that time and on the request of villagers pointed out a spot to dig a well suitable for drinking water. At the same time he warned that the person who would dug the well would meet death. The villagers thought it better to leave the place and the Gandas people moved away. 
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Alwar district
Villages in Chittorgarh district
Villages in Jaipur district
Villages in Bharatpur district
Villages in Nagaur district
Villages in Churu district
Villages in Hanumangarh district
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Villages in Nimach district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Gurgaon district
Villages in Jind district
Villages in Bhiwani district
Distrbution in Punjab
Villages in Patiala district
Distrbution in Pakistan
According to 1911 census the Ganda were the principal Muslim Jat clan in :
Notable person from this gotra
- Charan Singh Choudhary (Gardasik) - A.En. PWD, Date of Birth : 1-September-1957,VPO- Kherli Gadasia, disstt.- Bharatpur,Present Address : 37, Bajrang Vihar, near Durgapura Rly.Station, Jaipur, Phone Number : 0141-2760571, Mob : 9314479207, Email: email@example.com
- Amit Gandas - RAS, From village:Bhatwala (Sardarshahar), Churu
- Kalyan chaudhary -Hirnoda
- Kailash Chandra Gandas- from khejara is govt. sr. teacher at higher secondary school sardarshahar...
Back to Gotras