Variants of name
Mention by Panini
Ram Swarup Joon writes.... According to Bhagwatdatta, Baluchis of (of Balochistan) today are the descendants of Anu. Baluchya, Balhara, Bal, Balan are Jat gotras. Kak, Kakarzai, Klock, Kukar, Khokar, Karskar Jats belong to the Anu Branch. Thirty thousand Baluchis in Makran were recognised as Jats. Baluchis of the Lomri region are described as Jats in their chronicles. In the Rig-Veda, there are references to the Kabul River of Afghanistan, Gomal Valley, and rivers Ganga and Jamuna. There are also references to Kshatriya and the five branches of the Yayati Dynasty.
Ram Sarup Joon writes that ....According to the research of Hem Chandra, Lichhavis belonged to Madrak dynasty and were called Karskar or Kakkar because of their origin from Kar. Shale, Shal, Shi, all originating from Sialkot are also Madrak. In Sanskrit Scripture they have been called Jatra or Jatrali meaning Jat.
- Malaya who ruled Malva named after their gotra.
- Arjunayana who ruled Mewat and Jaipur;
- Yaudheya whose rule included Bikaner and Bahawalpur;
- Madrak whose capital was Sialkot;
- Abir who ruled Badaun, and the Betwa Basin now called Ahirwara;
- Vir Arjun clan who ruled Narisinghpur;
- Sankanika who territory was present Gwalior;
- Karaskar rule extended into present Mathura, Aligarh (there are 80 villages of these Jats in this area at present) and Kharparika.
Guptas are sometimes called Kāraskaras. Khatkals are mentioned in the Mahabharata as 'Kata Kalika', along with Mahishaka (Bains), Karaskar, Karkana and Viraka. 'Kata Kalika' became 'Katkal' or Khatkal as they are named in Punjab. In Haryana they are called Khatkar. It should be noted that Kakar, Varika, etc, mentioned here are all Jat clans.
Karna Parva/Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 30 mentions this tribe in derogatory sense and advises to avoid this country:
- "The Karasakaras, the Mahishakas, the Kalingas, the Kikatas, the Atavis, the Karkotakas, the Virakas, and other peoples of no religion, one should always avoid."
- कारः करान महिषकान कलिङ्गान कीकटाटवीन
- कर्कॊटकान वीरकांश च दुर्धर्मांश च विवर्जयेत Mahabharata (8.30.45)
- आवर्जिता इवाभान्ति निघ्नाश चैत्रकि कौकुराः
- कारः करा लॊहजङ्घा युधिष्ठिर निवेशने (II.46.21)
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Villages in Ratlam district
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al.: Ādhunik Jat Itihas,.297
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. क-28
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.213
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.415
- Ram Swarup Joon:History of the Jats/Chapter II,p.32
- History of the Jats/Chapter IV ,p. 56
- History of the Jats/Chapter IV ,p. 58
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al.: Adhunik Jat Itihas, Agra 1998, p. 232
Back to Jat Gotras