Khatkar (खटकड़) Khatkad (खटकड़) Khatkal (खटकल) Khatker (खटकड़) Khatkar (खटकर) gotra is found in Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. Dilip Singh Ahlawat has mentioned it as one of the ruling Jat clans in Central Asia.  There are around 28 villages of Khatkar Gotra. Khatkar Jats founded the village Khatu in Sikar district.
- 1 History
- 2 Villages founded by Khatkar clan
- 3 Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- 4 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 5 Distribution in Haryana
- 6 Distribution in Punjab
- 7 Notable persons from this clan
- 8 External Links
- 9 References
B S Dahiya writes: They are mentioned in the Mahabharata as 'Kata Kalika', along with Mahishaka (Bains), Karaskar, Karkana and Viraka. 'Kata Kalika' became 'Katkal' or Khatkal as they are named in Punjab. In Haryana they are called Khatkar. It should be noted that Kakar, Varika, etc, mentioned here are all Jat clans (see under Guptas also who are sometimes called Kāraskaras). During the time of Naushervan (531-579 AD), the Sassanid emperor of Iran ( who was himself born of a Jat lady of Tur clan, married by his father, Kavadh, in 498 AD when he was in exile and seeking the help of his Jat relations), we find that their chief, Khakan, at Balkh was in favour of peace with the Iranians. But the Hapthals (Haitals - Antals ?) who were now under the Gaṭkal clan, did not want peace, therefore, they killed the ambassador sent for this purpose. The result was a civil war among the Jats. The army of Khakan, under General Fanz (should be Bans - a Jat clan, the same as European Vans/Vance attacked and defeated the Gaṭkals (Khatkals) and killed their king. The Khatkals, called their elders' meeting and elected Fagane Bagani their new leader. But Naushervan feared the increased power of the Balkh Khakan and so, came on the side of Khakals. The result was peace and marriage of Naushervan with a daughter of the Khakan to cement the ties. Hermuzd, his successor, was born from this marriage. Our point here is to show the existence of Khatkal Jats in that area in sixth century AD. The famous martyr of our Independence movement S. Bhagat Singh, was a Khatkal Jat. 
Villages founded by Khatkar clan
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Ghaziabad district
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Jhunjhunu district
Locations in Jaipur city
Brahmpuri, Gopalpura Bypass, Jhotwara, Murlipura Scheme,
Villages in Tonk district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Jind district
Villages in Rohtak district
Villages in Karnal district
Sheikhpura Khalsa (Gharaunda) teh.,
Villages in Kurukshetra distict
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Nawanshahr district
Notable persons from this clan
- Lekh Ram Khatkar (born:1912) (मास्टर लेखराम जी) (Khatkar), from Pratappur, Jhunjhunu, was a Freedom fighter and hero of Shekhawati farmers movement. 
- Ch Rampal Mazra, twice MLA from Pai (Haryana) & Ex chief parliamentary secretary , haryana
- Ch Puran Singh Khatkar ,Advocate Supreme court of india, Delhi
- Ch. Sardar Singh Khatker, Social Worker & Bussinessman , Delhi.
- Ch. Desh Raj Namberdar, Ex. Minister Haryana.
- Sh. Jagbir Singh, GM , Haryana Roadways.
- Sh. Narender Singh Khatker, Thekedar- Delhi.
- Balu Ram Khatkad from village Dhandhan in Sikar district was a teacher, freedom fighter and MLA from Fatehpur
- Abhijit Singh Khatkar, Social worker, Delhi
- Late.Shri. Amrit Lal Khatkar, Govt.Employee in DDA (Delhi Development Authority)Well known Socialist & Renowned person in Rohini, New Delhi.
- Ram Pratap Khatkar - AAO AG, Rajasthan, Date of Birth :1954, VPO- Bhojpur, teh.- Sri Madhopur, distt.- Sikar, Present Address : 96, Arjun Nagar South, Gopalpura Bye Pass ,Jaipur, Phone Number : 0141-2503348, Mob: 9460071438
- Ch. Zile Singh Khatkar is an advocate lives in Jind formally from the village Badhana,Dist Uchana. Former President of Cricket Selection Council of Haryana,Former President District Bar Council Jind and various other departments and councils in Haryana.He has a vast experience in his field of his expertise.He is also a well know face in the politics of Haryana.
- Dr. Vikram Singh Khatkar works as a Professor of Computer Science at Ch. Devi Lal University, Sirsa. He is masters in Physics as well as in Computer Science. He did his Doctorate in Computer Science from Kurukshetra University. Earlier he has worked with World Bank, NITTTR Chandigarh and Kurukshetra University. He comes from Barsola village in Jind.
- Dr Bhupinder Singh Khatkar is well known Food Scientist in Haryana. He completed his PhD from Reading University in UK and is now working as Professor and Head of Department, Department of Food Science & Technology, Guru Jambheshwar University Hisar, Haryana, India. He has a large number of research papers to his credit. He also hails from Barsola in Jind.
- Mr.Sukhbir singh Khatkar is one of the well known name Who is selected as HCS in 2011 and belongs from Badhana Village. He is simply from agriculture family. Mr.Sukhbir singh Khatkar are four brother and one sister. His eledest brother is also a farmer, second eleder brother is SHO, third eleder brother is SDO. Mr.Sukhbir singh Khatkar is youngest one. He joined AirForce in 1983, then Polytechnic as a Lecturer and at last but not least HCS.
- Govind Ram Khatkar - From village Deogaon Nawalgarh (Jhunjhunu), Rajasthan, was killed by Jagirdars in 1945
- Sardar Singh Khatkad - Rajasthan Police Inspector, Khatkad Ki Dhani, Khandela Sikar, Sikar, Rajasthan.
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.298
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.240, s.n.118
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ख-74
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ख-10
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Chapter IV, p.342
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India,p. 261
- Bhim Singh Dahiya, Jats the Ancient Rulers ( A clan study), p. 261
- Journal of Bombay Branch of Royal Asiatic Society, 1914, Vol. XXIII/XXIV, p. 577 ff
- Thakur Deshraj:Jat Jan Sewak, 1949, p.430-431
- Jat Gatha, 3/2016, p.32
Back to Gotras