Lamba (लांबा) Lamanshi (लामवंशी) Lamba (लाम्बा) Lamba (लम्बा) Lava (लावा) Lanva (लांवा) Lamva (लाम्वा) is gotra of Jats found in Rajasthan, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Haryana. This gotra is very old and is found among the Rajputs, Jats, Marathas and Khatris. Dilip Singh Ahlawat has mentioned it as one of the ruling Jat clans in Central Asia. 
They are also called Lampakas or Lampas in the Indian Literature, Although Garuda Purana mentions them as Lamba. Markandeya Purana mentions them with the Kuserus, Chulikas, etc., as people of the north.  The Matsya Purana too, mentions them. The Mahabharata while mentioning them, seems to indicate their fierce warlike qualities.  The Greeks mentioned them as Lambagae. Lassen has identified their habitat as the region of Lambagae, south of Hindu Kush near modern Lamghan. Abhidhana Chintamani of Hema Chandra Says, “ Lampakastu Murundah Syuh” showing that they were considered Sakas. Murunda is a Saka/Scythian title, meaning Chief/ Head.
The Vayu Purana (47, 44) and the Matsya Purana, (121, 45) mention that:
- सान्ध्रान् स्तुखारान् लम्पकान् पह्लवान् दरदान् छकान्
- अताञ्जनापदाञ्चक्षु प्लावयन्ती गतोदधिम्
The Chaksu or Oxus river goes to the sea after irrigating the lands of the Sandhrans (Jats) , Tukharas (Takhar Jats), Lampakas (Lamba Jats), Pahlavas (Pehlavi-Iranians) Daradas (of Kashmir) and Chhakans (Chhikara Jats).
In Vayu Purana and Matsya Purana, the Oxus is mentioned as the river Chakshu, flowing through the countries of Tusharas (Takhar Jat clan) (Rishikas?), Lampakas (Lamba Jat clan, Pahlavas (Pahlawat, Paradas (Parauda Jat clan) and Shakas etc.
Chinese pilgrim Hiuen Tsang who visited Kapisa in 644 AD calls it Kai-pi-shi(h). Hiuen Tsang describes Kai-pi-shi as a flourishing kingdom ruled by a Buddhist Kshatriya king holding sway over ten neighboring states including Lampaka, Nagarahara, Gandhara and Banu etc.
Lamba named villages founded by Lamba Jats are in Ajmer, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara, Tonk, and Jodhpur districts of Rajasthan. Also there are some villages in Haryana like Daulatpur, Devawas, Ludas, Dalanwas, Barda, Madhogarh, Mohanput and Chindaliya.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Ajmer district
Locations in Jaipur city
Ambabari, Barkat Nagar, Gandhi Nagar, Hanuman Nagar, Jawahar Nagar, Jhotwara, Kalyan Bhawan, Murlipura Scheme, Pratap Nagar, Sanganer, Shanti Nagar,
Villages in Jaipur district
Villages in Jhunjhunu district
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Churu district
Villages in Bharatpur district
Villages in Tonk district
Baira ki Dhani (7), Chatarbhuj Pura (33), Deshaman (9), Kali Talai (1), Kalyanpura Bagdi (1), Mauja Jharana (1), Nadyon Ki Dhani (5), Nayagaon (1), Paldi Dardahind (1), Panduon Ki Dhani (6), Sri Gopalpura (2), Sunari (3), Taharpura (2),
Villages in Baran district
Villages in Chittorgarh district
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Villages in Nimach district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Jhajjar district
Villages in Hisar district
Villages in Bhiwani district
Villages in Mahendargarh district
Villages in Sonipat district
Distribution in Delhi
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Rupnagar district
Villages in Patiala district
- Richhapal Ram Lamba (August 20, 1899 - February 12, 1941) - was twice the winner of prestigious Victoria Cross
- Seth Chhaju Ram (सेठ छाजूराम) - Industrialist
- J.S. Lamba, IPS Haryana ( District Police Chief District Jind Haryana)
- Justice Ajai Lamba, Sitting judge of Hon'ble Punjab & Haryana High Court at Chandigarh
- Late Justice D.S. Lamba, Judge Punjab and Haryana High Court, was a scion of this clan
- Hemant Lamba - Green Oskar Award
- Minisha Lamba - Actress
- Reema Lamba (मल्लिका शेरावत)-Indian actress who appears in mainly Bollywood films and a former model.She is one of the few Bollywood stars trying to crossover to Hollywood.
- Alka Lamba- currently She is a Secretary All India Congress Committee (AICC) at the Indian National Congress.in the year 1997 she was appointed as the President of ALL INDIA NSUI
- Mahtab Singh - IPS , Rajasthan
- R.S. Lamba, IFS, Haryana, 1989
- Jagjit Lamba, IFS, Karnataka, 1964
- Justice Narender Lamba
- Ch. D.P. Lamba, Jaipur
- SEP VIJENDRA SINGH LAMBA - Army Service Corps (Supply), Martyr 15-05-2002, Rajasthan
- Ajay Pal Singh Lamba IPS, Rajasthan, 2009, Currently SP in JAIPUR RURAL
- Ankit Lamba - A member of Rajasthan Cricket team.
- Ratan Singh Lamba - RAS Addl.DM(Vigilence), Date of Birth : 1-July-1952 ,VPO - Dhingi, Teh. - Taranagar, Distt.- Churu , Rajasthan, Mobile: 9414380821
- Prakash Lamba - From Jaipur, MoB; 9887305791 Lamba Ki Dhani, Sirsi Road, Mundia Ramsar teh.-Jaipur dist.-Jaipur
- D P Lamba - Upadhyaksh Rajasthan Jat Samaj Sansthan, Jaipur
- Mr. B. S. Lamba - Govt. Service, Manager Bank of India, Parliament Street, New Delhi, G-60, State Bank Colony, East of Kailash, New Delhi Ph: 011-23010714 (PP-359)
- Mr. Kushal Pal Lamba - Govt Service, Chief Engineer, HSEB Haryana Govt. HVPN, Panchkula, H.No 2, Sec-10, Panchkula, Haryana, Ph: 0172-571259 (PP-979)
- Lt.Col.J.S. Lamba - 44/3 Pralap Lines Jaipur, Rajasthan, 0141-2358760 (PP-1098)
Gallery of Lamba people
Mangi Lal Lamba, Deshaman
- Dilip Singh Ahlawat: Jat viron ka Itihas
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998, p. 279
- Chapter LVII
- 119-MBT, Drona Parva, 121 / 42-43
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/J,p.375
- Su-kao-seng-chaun, Chapter 2, (no. 1493); Kai-yuan-lu, chapter 7; Publications, 1904, p 122-123, published by Oriental Translation Fund (Editors Dr T. W. Rhys Davis, S. W. Bushel, London, Royal Asiatic Society).
- History and study of the Jats. By Professor B.S Dhillon. ISBN-10: 1895603021 or ISBN-13: 978-1895603026. p.126