Nagpur Nāgpur (नागपुर) is the largest city in central India and the second capital of the state of Maharashtra. The city is the commercial and political center of the state's eastern Vidarbha region. Nagpur lies in central India with Zero mile marker, (indicating the geographical center of India) located here. City was founded by Nagavanshi people.
The name of the Indian city Nagpur is derived from Nāgapuram, literally, "city of nāgas". The Nag River, which is a tributary of the Kanhan River, flows in a serpentine path and so got its name, "Nag", the Marathi word for cobra. The river flows through the old city of Nagpur and so the city derived its name from this river, 'Nag'+'pur'. "Pur" is common suffix given to cities, villages and towns across India, and is often simply translated "city"
Villages in Nagpur District
Adam, Adegaon, Adegaon, Agra, Ajangaon, Ajani, Ajani, Ajani, Akoli, Amadi, Ambada, Ambada, Ambadi, Ambhora Kh., Amgaon, Amgaon, Aptur, Arambhi, Aroli, Ashta, Babadeo, Bachhera, Badegaon, Bahadura, Bajargaon, Bamhani, Bamhni, Banpuri, Bela, Belda, Belona, Besur, Bhage Mahari, Bhagi Mahari, Bhagwanpur, Bhamewada, Bhandar Bodi, Bhanegaon, Bhendala, Bhendala, Bhidhnur, Bhilewada, Bhilgaon, Bhiwapur, Bhokara, Bhondewada, Bhugaon, Bina, Borada, Borda, Borgaon, Borgaon, Borgaon Kh., Bori, Bori, Bori, Borkhedi, Borkhedi, Borujwada, Bothali, Bothiya, Bramhni, Chacher, Chandanpardi, Chandkapur, Chanoda, Chapegadi, Chargaon, Chaugan, Chichala, Chichala, Chichda, Chicholi, Chicholi, Chikna Tukum, Chirwha, Dahegaon, Dahegaon, Dahegaon, Dahegaon Joshi, Dahoda, Davlameti, Dawasa, Deolapar, Deoli, Dhamangaon, Dhani, Dhanla, Dhapewada, Dhapewada Kh., Dharmapuri, Dhawalapur, Dhotiwada, Dhurkheda, Digdoh, Dighori, Digras , Dongargaon, Dongargaon, Dongarmauda, Dorli, Dorli, Drugdhamna, Dudhala, Dudhala, Fegad, Fetari, Gada, Gadegaon, Gharatwada, Ghat Rohana, Ghatpendhari, Ghorad , Ghotmundhari, Ghoturli, Ghukashi, Godhani, Gondegaon, Gondidigras, Gondimohgaon, Gondkhairi, Gonha, Gonhi, Gothangaon, Gowari, Gumgaon, Gumthala, Hardoli, Heoti, Hingna, Hiwara, Hiwara, Hudkeshwar, Indora, Isapur, Isapur, Isasani, Itagaon, Jalalkheda, Jamgad, Jamgaon Bk, Jamtha, Jaoli, Jiwanapur, Junewani, Juni, Kachari Savanga, Kachurwahi, Kadoli, Kalambha, Kalambi, Kalameshwar, Kamptee, Kamptee Cantt, Kandri, Kandri, Kanhan (Pipri), Kanholibara, Kapsi Bk, Kapsi Kh, Karanbhad, Kargaon , Karimabad , Karwahi, Katol, Kavdas, Kawadas, Kelwad, Khadgaon, Khairgaon, Khairi, Khairi, Khairi Bk, Khairy, Khandala, Khandala, Khandala, Khangaon, Khangaon, Khapa, Khapa, Khapa, Khapari, Khapri, Khaprikene, Kharabi, Kharada, Kharda, Kharsoli, Khasala, Khat, Khedi, Khedi Gowargondi, Khubala, Khumari, Khumari, Khurajgaon, Khursapur, Kirmiti, Kocchi, Kodamendhi, Kodegaon, Kohali, Kondhali, Kondhasaoli, Koradi, Kotewada, Kothulana, Kuhi , Kujba, Ladgaon, Lava, Linga, Linga, Lohagad , Lonkhairi, Mahadula, Mahadula , Mahalgaon, Mahalgaon, Mahedi, Mahuli, Mahurzari, Maiwadi, Makardhokada, Malegaon, Malewada, Mandavghorad, Mandhal, Mandri, Mandvi, Mandwa, Manegaon, Mangli, Mangrud, Mangsa, Mansar, Marodi, Masli, Masod, Mathani, Mendhala, Mendhepathar, Mendki, Metaumari, Metpanjara, Mhasala, Mhasepathar, Mhasora, Mohadi, Mohadi, Mohali, Mohgaon, Mohgaon, Mohpa, Mondha, Morgaon, Mouda, Murti, Musewadi, Nagalwadi, Nagardhan, Nagpur, Naikund, Nakshi, Nand, Nanda Gomukh, Nandapuri, Narkhed, Narsala, Narsingi, Nawargaon, Neri, Neri, Nerla, Niharwani, Nilaj, Nildoh, Nimji, Nimkheda, Nimkheda, Nimtalai, Pachgaon, Pachkhedi, Palora, Palsad, Panchala, Panjara, Paradsinga, Pardi, Pardi, Pardi, Parshivni, Parsoda, Parsodi, Parsodi Wakil, Patansavangi, Patgowari, Pathrai, Pauni, Peth Ismailpur, Pethkaldongari, Pipala, Pipari, Pipla, Pipla, Pipla , Pipra, Pirawa , Pota, Pullar, Pusagondi, Rahadi, Raipur, Raiwadi, Rajola, Rajoli, Rama , Rampuri, Ramtek, Ranala, Rengapar, Rewaral, Ridhora, Rohana, Rohana, Rui Khairi, Ruyad, Salai, Salai, Salaidabha, Salwa, Satak, Satnavari, Savner, Sawanga, Sawangi, Sawangi, Sawangi, Sawargaon, Selu , Shedeshwar , Shindi , Shirmi, Shirpur, Shivani, Shiwa, Shiwapur, Sihora, Sillewada, Silli, Singarkheda, Sinjar, Sirsi, Sirsoli, Sirul, Sitalwadi, Somanala, Sonegaon, Sonegaon (Nipani), Sonoli, Surabardi, Suradevi, Surgaon, Susundri, Takalghat, Takali, Tamaswadi, Tanda, Tangla, Tarna, Tarodi, Tarsa, Tas, Tekadi, Telgaon, Telkamthi, Tembhurdoh, Thadipavni, Thugaon, Tinkheda, Tishti, Titur, Totaladoh, Tuman, Turkmari, Ubali, Udasa, Umari, Umari, Umred, Umri, Uparwani, Vihirgaon, Vyahad, Wadamba, Waddhamana, Wadgaon, Wadi, Wadoda, Wadvihara, Wag, Wagdara, Waghoda, Wakeshwar, Waki, Wakodi, Walani, Walani, Wanadongri, Warada, Waregaon, Warghat, Waroda, Wayagaon, Weltur, Wirshi, Yenwa, Yerkheda, Yerla, Yerla, Zilpa, Zinzariya, Zullar,
Human existence around present day Nagpur city can be traced back 3000 years to 8th century BC. Mehir burial sites at Drugdhamna(near Mhada colony) indicate megalithic culture existed around Nagpur and is still followed in present times . The first reference to the name Nagpur is found in a 10th century copper-plate inscription discovered at Devali in the neighbouring Wardha district. The inscription is a record of grant of a village situated in the visaya (district) of Nagpura-Nandivardhana during time of Rashtrakutas king Krisna III in the Saka year 862 (940 CE).  Nandivardhana, which was well-known as an ancient capital of the Vakatakas, is now represented by the village Nandardhan, about three miles (5 km) from the temple town of Ramtek. Inscription found at Ramtek show that during the 12th century AD Nagpur and its surrounding regions formed the part of the thickly wooded country called Jhadimandala under Yadavas of Devagiri.
Popular tradition tells of a Gaoli Kingdom preceding the Gonds. The mythical Gond hero Jatba, who founded the dynasty, was born from a virgin under a bean plant, and was protected by a cobra, who came and spread its hood over him during the heat of the day, when his mother left him to go to her work. When he grew up he became famous for his feats of strength, and entered the service of the twin Gaoli kings, Ransur and Ghansur, whom he subsequently slew with a magic sword, and taking the kingdom in their stead became the first Gond ruler. The forts of Patansaongi and Nagardhan in Nagpur District are attributed to him.In the late 17th century, Prince Bakht Buland went to Delhi, where he entered the service of the Mughal Empire Aurangzeb. He gained the emperor's favor by his military achievements, and the emperor persuaded him to become a Muslim. He returned from Delhi with a number of craftsmen and farmers, both Hindu and Muslim. He enlarged his dominions at the expense of the states of Chanda and Mandla, and established many new towns and villages, including the city of Nagpur. 
Bahkt Buland's successor, Chand Sultan, moved the capital of the kingdom from Deogarh to Nagpur. After Chand Sultan's death in 1739, struggles over his succession led to the intervention of the Maratha leader Raghoji Bhonsle, who governed neighboring Berar in the name of the Maratha Peshwa. The Gond kingdom was annexed to the Maratha empire, and ruled by Raghoji's successors. The Bhonsle kingdom was defeated the British in the Anglo-Maratha Wars, and became a princely state of British India. The Nagpur kingdom was annexed by the British in 1853 under the Doctrine of lapse, and was governed as Nagpur Province until 1861, when it became part of the Central Provinces.
In 1743, the Maratha leader Raghoji Bhonsle of Vidarbha established himself at Nagpur, after conquering the territories of Deogarh, Chanda and Chhattisgarh by 1751. After Raghoji's death in 1755, his son and successor Janoji was forced to acknowledge the effective supremacy of the Maratha Peshwa of Pune in 1769. Regardless, the Nagpur state continued to grow. Janoji's successor Mudhoji I (d. 1788) came to power in 1785 and bought Mandla and the upper Narmada valley from the Peshwa between 1796 and 1798, after which Raghoji II Bhonsle (d. 1816) acquired Hoshangabad, the larger part of Sagar and Damoh. Under Raghoji II, Nagpur covered what is now the east of Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Orissa, and parts of Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand.
In 1803 Raghoji II joined the Peshwas against the British in the Second Anglo-Maratha War. The British prevailed, and Raghoji was forced to cede Cuttack, Sambalpur, and part of Berar. After Raghoji II's death in 1816, his son Parsaji was deposed and murdered by Mudhoji II Bhonsle. Despite the fact that he had entered into a treaty with the British in the same year, Mudhoji joined the Peshwa in the Third Anglo-Maratha War in 1817 against the British, but was forced to cede the rest of Berar to the Nizam of Hyderabad, and parts of Saugor and Damoh, Mandla, Betul, Seoni and the Narmada valley to the British after suffering a defeat at Sitabuldi in modern-day Nagpur city. The Sitabuldi fort was the site of a fierce battle between the British and the Bhonsle of Nagpur in 1817. The battle was a turning point as it laid the foundations of the downfall of the Bhonsles and paved the way for the British acquisition of Nagpur city  Mudhoji was deposed after a temporary restoration to the throne, after which the British placed Raghoji III the grandchild of Raghoji II, on the throne. During the rule of Raghoji III (which lasted till 1840), the region was administered by a British resident. In 1853, the British took control of Nagpur after Raghoji III died without leaving a heir.
From 1853 to 1861, the Nagpur Province (which consisted of the present Nagpur region, Chhindwara, and Chhatisgarh) became part of the Central Provinces and Berar and came under the administration of a commissioner under the British central government, with Nagpur as its capital. Berar was added in 1903. Tata group started the country's first textile mill at Nagpur, formally known as Central India Spinning and Weaving Company Ltd. The company was popularly known as "Empress Mills" as it was inaugurated on 1 January 1877, the day queen Victoria of the United Kingdom was proclaimed Empress of India. Political activity in Nagpur during India's freedom struggle included hosting of two annual sessions of the Indian National Congress. Non-cooperation movement was launched in the Nagpur session of 1920.
After Indian Independence in 1947, Central Provinces and Berar became a province of India, and in 1950 became the Indian States of Madhya Pradesh, again with Nagpur as its capital. However when the Indian states were reorganized along linguistic lines in 1956, the Nagpur region and Berar were transferred to Bombay state, which in 1960 was split between the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
Nagpur Museum Inscription of Somesvara Saka Samvat 1130
The slab which bears the subjoined Inscription, is preserved in the Museum at Nagpur. This record from three sets of excellent inked estanipages, one of which was supplied to Dr Hultzsch by Mr. Consens, and two by Dr. Fleet, for whom they had been prepared by Shaikh Karim. The stone was brought to the Museum in the year 1861 from Sironcha, about 160 miles from Nagpur, by Colonel Glasfard, the then Deputy Commissioner of the then Upper Godavari district, who found the same serving the purpose of a tombstone and mounted at the head of an innumerable number of curious sarcophagi at the base of a range of hills in the insignificant village of Kowtah some 6 miles from Sironcha tahsil." Sironcha is situated on the left bank of the Godavari, in about 19° latitude and 80° longitude, The slab itself is noticed as " said to have come from Sironcha" in Sir A. Cunningham's Beports, Vol. "VII. p. 115.
The alphabet of the inscription is Telugu, and its language Telugu prose. The characters on the front and back of the slab are much larger than those on its right side. A few letters at the "beginning of lines 38 to 40 and at the end of line 56 are lost altogether; a number of other letters are indistinct and doubtful, especially on the right side of the slab and about the end of the inscription on the back. I am unable to give a complete transcript and translation of the damaged portions of the inscription.
Lines 18 to 35 of the inscription record that Gangamahadevi the chief queen of Somesvaradeva, gave a village, named Keramaruka (L 35) or Keramarka (L-35), to two temples of Siva, both of which she had built. The first was called Vira-Somesvara after her husband, and the other Gangādharesvara after herself. The date of the consecration of the two temples and of the grant of the village was Sunday, the twelfth tithi of the bright fortnight of Phalguna in the Saka year 1130. The next few lines (35 to 42) appear to contain the king's sanction of the grant. Lines 42 to 55 specify the names of a number of royal officers who were witnesses of the transaction. Lines 57 to 79 I have not teen able to make out satisfactorily. They appear to record that both Somesvaradeva and Gangamahadevi performed libations of water; but it is not clear if they did this in connection with the same grant that was referred to before, or with some additional donations.
I have no means for identifying the village of Keramaruka which was the object of the the grant. The date of the grant has been Kindly calculated by Mr. Dikshit, who remarks on it as follows:- -In Saka-Samvat 1129 expired, Phalguna shukla 12 ended on Saturday, the 1st March, A.D, 1208, at 13 gh. 59 palas. This tihi can in no way be connected with the Sunday, and therefore this is not the given date. In Saka-samat 1130 expired, falguna shukla 12 ended on Wednesday, the 18th February, A.D. 1209. In Saka-samat 1131 expired, falguna shukla 12 ended on Sunday, i.e. 18 gh 48 palas. The European equivalent is the 7th February, A.D. 1210.
......He claims to be a descendant of the race of the Naga with thousand hoods, i.e. of the serpent Sesha, to be the lord of the city of Bhogvati, to have for his crest a tiger with a calf to belong to the Kasyapa gotra, and to be a worshipper of the god Mahesvara and of the goddess Manikyadevi. In his Dynasties of the Kanarese Districts (p. 95 ff) and in this Journal (p- 230 ff.), Dr. Fleet has given details of two branches of the Sinda famiiy, which were established at Bāgaḍage and at Erambarage, and which were tributary to the Western Chalukya and Kalachuri dynasties. In the Bhairanmatti inscription (No. 33 above), the members of the Bāgadage branch of the Sinda family are stated to be descendants of the race of serpents (Nagavanshi) to use the crest of a tiger, and to be the lords of the city of Bhogawati. As three similar biruda are applied to Somesvara during whose reign the subjoined inscription is dated, it is clear that he must have been connected with the Sinda family. But as the inscription does not mention any of his ancestors, it is vain to conjecture whether he was a direct descendant of the Bagadage branch, or of Vikrama, the last representative of the Erambarage branch who is noticed by Dr. Fleet, and whose latest inscription is dated in the Saka year 1102, twenty-eight years before the subjoined inscription.
Nagpur Museum Inscription of Somesvara Saka Samvat 1130: Translation
Om. Hail !
Gangan ahadevi, the chief queen of the glorious Jagadekabhushana-Maharaja, alias the glorious Someswaradeva-Chakravartin, who was born of the race of the Naga (i.e. the serpent Sesha) who is resplendent with the mass of rays (proceeding from) the jewels on. (his) thousand hoods; who is the lord of Bhogvati, the best of cities; whose crest is a tiger together with a calf; who belongs to the Kasyapa gotra ; whose shout of victory is universally known ; who is the supreme ruler of the whole earth; who is a supreme lord ; who resembles a bee which is rendered yellow by the mass of the pollen of the lotus-feet of the great Mahesvara ; who is full of pride ; who is a worshipper of the heavenly and holy lotus-feet of the blessed Manikyadevi ; (and) who is a conqueror of hostile armies, on the day on -which (she) had performed the consecration (of the image) of Vira-Somesvara, (which was called) after the name of her husband, and (of the image) of Gangadharesvara, (which was called) after her own name, (vis.) on Sunday, the twelfth tithi of the bright (fortnight) of Phalguna in (the year) 1130 of the years expired from the time of the Saka king, gave, for worship in these two temples of Siva, the village of Keramaruka. We gave, with libations of water, in (this village), two sixteenths .....of our revenue (sunka)....
(Line 42.) To this transaction, our minister Mandalika-Somaraja, the secretaries Damodaranāyaka, Manṭama-Nāyaka and Chañchana-Peggaḍa, the door-keepers Somi-Nayaka, Guddāpu Erapa-Reddi, Viluchuḍla-Prabhu and Parakoṭa-Komma-Nāyaka (were) eye-witnesses.
(L. 55.) The revenue of Keramarka.....
(L. 57.) The glorious Gangamahadevi performed a libation of water (into the hands) of Somanatha-Somayajin....
(L. 68.) Somesvaradeva performed a libation of water for the support of Brahmanas.
- Mahipal Dharampal Singh, Flat No. 201, Plot No. 31, Vighnaharta Apartment, Gitti Khadan Layout, Pratapnagar, Nagpur. Mob: 9423416554, 9890732511
- Bhism Singh , 78 Maruti Nagar, Amarawti Road, D-Wadi Ph: 07104-223343
- History of Nagpur District:Ancient Period, publisher=Maharashtra State Government Directorate of Government Printing, Stationery and Publications
- William Wilson, Sir, et al. (1908). Imperial Gazetteer of India, Volume 10. 1908-1931; Clarendon Press, Oxford.p.206
- "The Battle of Sitabuldi" publisher,Nagpurcity.net
Back to Places