Neel (नील)  Nila (नील) Leel (लील)Leelwal (लीलवाल)  Leela (लीला) is gotra of Jats found in Rajasthan and Punjab. In Rajasthani language they are also called Leel in some areas. It is a Rajasthani Language variant of Neel. Nil clan is found in Afghanistan.
- 1 Origin
- 2 Mention by Panini
- 3 History
- 4 Villages founded by Neel clan
- 5 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 6 Distribution in Punjab
- 7 Notable persons
- 8 Gallery of Neel people
- 9 References
Mention by Panini
[p.5]: the serpent (Naga). There lived various classes of Nagas whose jewels made the city as rich as the treasury of Kuvera. The first king Nila was invited by the Nagas to reign over them. He had a sceptre one and a half cubit long, and had an umbrella placed over him, and a kunda.
Rajatarangini tells us that when Sussala became king of Kashmir second time in 1121 AD he had to face defeat but continued the renewal of war. .... Although the king Sussala's army was destroyed, yet with twenty or thirty men of the royal blood and of his own country, Sussala faced the enemies.
Neela, the paramount of Nagas of Kashmir, was believed from early times, to have dwelt in main source of Vitasta river. Hence this fine spring was known as Neela-kunda, may possibly account for the location of the neel naga in this particular fountain. It goes by the name of Veranaga. Neelanaga is still worshipped in Kashmir and fairs related to him are also held even today. In the district of Nāgām (ancient name nāgrām) which is watered by the Dudhganga a small stream which joins the Vitasta at Srinagar, there is a small lake, likewise, known by the name of Neelā nāg.
Tej Ram Sharma writes about Avamukta (अवमुक्त) in Allahabad Stone Pillar Inscription of Samudragupta (=A.D.335-76) (No. 1, L. 19). This Inscription No. 1 refers to Avamukta as one of the countries in Dakshinapatha subdued by Samudragupta . Its ruler was Nilaraja. . Avamukta has not been identified with certainty. Some scholars on the basis of the similarity of names identify it with Avimukta another name of Kasi.  But the suggestion cannot be accepted. Avamukta of the inscription was a country in the South while Avimukta or Kasi is an eastern country. It may be considered to be situated in the Godavari district.  According to D.B. Diskalkar it must lay on the Eastern Ghats which lie to the west of Kanchi or Conjeevaram. 
Villages founded by Neel clan
- Neel Ki Kheri (नील की खेड़ी) - village in Mandalgarh tahsil in Bhilwara district in Rajasthan.
- Neel Ka Khera (नील का खेड़ा) - village in Bhadesar tahsil in Chittorgarh district of Rajasthan.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Tonk district
Nila (नील) gotra Jats live in villages:
Leel inhabited Villages in Tonk district are:
Villages in Jaipur district
Neel (नील) gotra Jats live in villages:
Leel inhabited Villages in Jaipur district are:
Achalpura (1), Hanutpura, Jaisinghpura Sanganer (250), Khedi Charanan (4), Khedi Gokulpura (1), Khijuriya (3), Mundiya Amber, Nanda ki Dhani Sewa (1), Phagi, Raipura Jaipur (15), Sunadiya (1), Watika (1),
Villages in Nagaur district
Neel Gotra Jats are found in villages:
Villages in Alwar district
Leel Gotra Jats are found in villages:
Villages in Karauli district
Villages in Bhilwara district
Villages in Chittorgarh district
Neel Ka Khera (t.Bhadesar)
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Jalandhar district
Villages in Ludhiana district
Villages in Patiala district
- Rekha Choudhary (Leel) - Agriculture Officer, Permanent Address : Phagi, Jaipur, Present Address : 1. A-30 ,Krishan Vihar, Opp. Hira Path, Mansorvar Jaipur. 2. A-134, Vidhyut nagar ,Ajmer Road, Jaipur ,Rajasthan, Phone : Mob : 9983750975, Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anand Choudhary (Leel) - Ex. Manager RSRTC, VPO- Rajwara, teh.- Mandawar Alwar, distt.- Alwar, Rajasthan, Present Address : A-37,Bhan Nagar, Queen's Road, Jaipur, Phone : 0141-2353756, Mob : 9414054909
- Hawa Singh (Leel) - A. En. PWD, VPO- Rajwara, teh.- Mandawar Alwar, distt.- Alwar, Rajasthan, Present Address : H.NO.-333 "Jasraj house" Sugreev Marg,Hanuman Nagar Extension,Khatipura, Jaipur,(Rajasthan),PIN: 302012, Phone Number : 0141-2357972, Mob: 9413339821, Email : email@example.com
- Satyendra Singh (Leel) - RPS Addl. SP,VPO- Rajwara, teh.- Mandawar Alwar, distt.- Alwar, Rajasthan, Present Address : 6, Yadgar Police Quarters, Ajmeri Gate Jaipur, Phone : 0141-2574772, Mob: 9829058100
Gallery of Neel people
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. 48
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.47,s.n. 1414
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.59,s.n. 2236
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ल-51
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ल-55
- Jat History Thakur Deshraj/Chapter IX,p.695
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan, H. W. Bellew, p.112
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al.: Ādhunik Jat Itihas, Agra 1998, p. 260
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.19
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.209
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p. 231
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p. 209, 231, 246
- Rajatarangini of Kalhana:Kings of Kashmira/Book I,p.4-5
- Kings of Kashmira Vol 2 (Rajatarangini of Kalhana)/Book VIII,pp.92-93
- Vogel J. PH. "Indian Serpent lore" P-227
- Dr Naval Viyogi: Nagas – The Ancient Rulers of India, p.19
- Dr Naval Viyogi: Nagas – The Ancient Rulers of India, p.20
- Personal and geographical names in the Gupta inscriptions/Place-Names and their Suffixes,p.253, s.n.1
- No. I, L. 20.
- History of Dharmasastra by P. V. Kane , Vol. IV, p. 626
- H. C. Raychaudhuri, Political History of Ancient India, p. 453, also see note 5.
- Diskalkar, Selections From Sanskrit Inscriptions. Vol. I, Part II, p. 33, see in Kanchi.
Back to Jat Gotras