Khokhar (खोखर) Khokar (खोकर) Khokkar (खोक्कर) is a gotra of Jats found in Punjab, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh in India and Pakistan. Khokhar is a Baloch Jat clan found in Afghanistan.It is an important tribe of Punjab (Pakistan).
- 1 Origin
- 2 History
- 3 Villages founded by Khokhar clan
- 4 Sub Divisions of Khokhar gotra
- 5 Khokhar Khap
- 6 Distribution in Punjab
- 6.1 Villages in Hoshiarpur district
- 6.2 Villages in Faridkot district
- 6.3 Villages in Bhatinda district
- 6.4 Village in Fazilka district
- 6.5 Villages in Gurdaspur district
- 6.6 Villages in Ludhiana district
- 6.7 Villages in Mansa district
- 6.8 Villages in Muktsar district
- 6.9 Villages in Rupnagar district
- 6.10 Villages in Sangrur district
- 7 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 7.1 Locations in Jaipur city
- 7.2 Villages in Jaipur district
- 7.3 Villages in Alwar district
- 7.4 Villages in Ganganagar district
- 7.5 Villages in Sikar district
- 7.6 Villages in Jodhpur district
- 7.7 Villages in Nagaur district
- 7.8 Villages in Pali district
- 7.9 Villages in Tonk district
- 7.10 Villages in Udaipur district
- 7.11 Villages in Kota district
- 7.12 Villages in Jhalawar district
- 8 Distribution in Haryana
- 9 Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- 10 Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
- 11 Distribution in Pakistan
- 12 Notable Persons
- 13 References
- 14 Further reading
Bhai Roop Chand ji Was also Khokhar who was devout sikh of Guru Hargobind Ji. There is village on his name Bhai Roopa in Bhatinda district of Punjab, India. Haral, Ajra, Bhalu and Bhala are the sub gotras of the Khokhar Jats.
Khokhars origin is from Central Asia. They were perhaps Central Asian Huns who repeatedly attacked North India.
They were same for north India's empires as barbarians or Huns were for Roman Empire.
In Pakistan Khokhars are followers of Islam. A former high commissioner of Pakistan in India was Riaz Khokhar.
Villages founded by Khokhar clan
- Kanwat - village in Shrimadhopur tehsil in Sikar district in Rajasthan.It was capital of Khokhar Jats.
- Khokharanwali (खोखरांवाली) village in Tehsil .... in Ganganagar district in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
Sub Divisions of Khokhar gotra
There are several sub-divisions of the Khokhar gotra , such as the Bandial, Bhachar, Dholka, Ganjial, Jalap, Majoka, Nissowana, Rawal, and then Denaar (among muslims). According to H.A. Rose Jat clans derived from Khokhar are: Bohla and Khokhar. Haral, Ajra, Bhalu and Bhala are also the sub gotras of the Khokhar Jats (Hindu and Sikh).
Khokhar Khap has 52 villages in Uttar Pradesh in Mathura, Aligarh districts. 24 villages of Moradabad district are in this khap. 150 villages of this khap are in Punjab , Bhatinda district around Mansa Mandi. Jat gotra is Khokhar. 
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Hoshiarpur district
- Khokhar, Khokhar, Khokhar, Khokhar Dawa Khri named villages are in Dasua tahsil in Hoshiarpur district in Punjab.
Villages in Faridkot district
Villages in Bhatinda district
Village in Fazilka district
Villages in Gurdaspur district
- Khokhar, Khokhar, Khokhar, Khokharwal named Villages are in Batala tahsil in Gurdaspur district in Punjab.
Villages in Ludhiana district
Villages in Mansa district
Villages in Muktsar district
Villages in Rupnagar district
Villages in Sangrur district
Distribution in Rajasthan
Locations in Jaipur city
Ambabari, Chaumu House, Ganesh Colony (Khatipura), Gangani Kala (Dudu), Murlipura Scheme,
Villages in Jaipur district
Villages in Alwar district
Villages in Ganganagar district
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Jodhpur district
Villages in Nagaur district
Villages in Pali district
Villages in Tonk district
Villages in Udaipur district
Villages in Kota district
Villages in Jhalawar district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Rohtak district
Villages in Sonipat district
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Agra district
Villages in Bagpat district
Villages in Mathura district
Villages in Muzaffarnagar district
Villages in Badaun district
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Villages in Ratlam district
Villages in Ratlam district with population of this gotra are:
Villages in Dewas district
Villages in Harda district
Distribution in Pakistan
List of Khokhar Towns and Villages
Villages in Jhelum
Pind Dadan Khan (Jhelum), Khokhar Malwana (Jhelum), Khokhar Aggar Khan (Jhelum),
Villages in Mandi Bahaudin
Thakkar Kalan (Mandi Bahaudin), Garh Qaim (Mandi Bahaudin),
Villages in Sargodha
Khamb Nau (Sargodha), Mitha lak (Sargodha),
Villages in Gujrat
Mari Khokhran (Gujrat), Khokhar Gharbi (Gujrat), Rindheer Khokhran (Gujrat), Kotli Khokhran (Gujrat), Shampur Khokharan (Gujrat),
Villages in Sialkot
Panwan Khokhar (Sialkot), Pindi Khokharan (Sialkot), Rhang khokhran (Sialkot),
Villages in Mianwali
Basti Khokhar (Mianwali),
Villages in Gujar Khan
Bhagwala Khokharan (Gujar Khan), Jhangh Khokharan (Gujar Khan),
Villages in Larkana
- Ghazanfar Ali Khan Khokhar - Former Minister of Food, Agriculture and Health, Ambassador to Iran 1948-1952, to Turkey 1952-1953, to India 1954-1956 and to Italy 1956-1957.
- Riaz Khokhar - Former Foreign Secretary of Pakistan, High Commissioner to India 1992–1997, Ambassador to the United States 1997–1999 and to China 1999–2002.
- M. Nawaz Khokhar - Former Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Justice Faqir Muhammad Khokhar - Judge, Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Justice (Retd.) Fakhar un Nisa Khokhar - President, Lahore High Court Bar Association.
- Barrister Tariq Mehmood Khokhar - Former Deputy Attorney General, Government of Pakistan
- Malik Zaheer Abbas Khokhar - Former Member, National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Malik Afzal Khokhar - Former Member, National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Malik Karamat Ali Khokhar - Former Member, Provisional Assembly of Pakistan.
- Malik Saif Al Malook Khokhar - Member, Provisional Assembly of Pakistan.
- Malik Ali Abbas Khokhar- Member, Provisional Assembly of Pakistan.
- Malik Nazar Farid Khokhar - Chairman Standing Committee, Provincial.
- Malik Umar Farooq Khokhar -Deputy Director Hajj for Pakistan.
- Malik Ahsen Farooq Khokhar - CEO, Khokhar Group of Industries *Multan,CEO AL Madinah hotels.
- Malik Adil Imtiaz Khokhar - CEO Adil Associates Lahore, who belongs to the Khokhar Jat Gotra.
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.240, s.n.119
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ख-1
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew, p.186
- Punjabi Muslalman by J M Wikely
- Elliot and Dowson, op. cit., and Tribes and Castes, Vol.II
- Bhim Singh Dahiya, Jats the Ancient Rulers, 1980, p. 262
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.19
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al.: Adhunik Jat Itihas, Agra 1998, p. 234
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/A,pp.27
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/J,p.376
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania, Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, p. 15
- Khokhar - A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/K,p.539-549
- Ram Swarup Joon: History of the Jats, Rohtak, India (1938, 1967)
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Chapter XI - Page 1006 to 1010.
Back to Jat Gotras