Shokeen (शॉकीन) gotra is a shorter version of ancient Jat Gotra called by names Shaukhanda (शौखंदा) Sheokhand (श्योकंद) Seokand (स्योकंद) Sheokand (श्योकंद) Shyaukand (श्यौकंद)/Shaukande (शौकंदे)  Shivskande (शिवस्कन्दे)/Sukande (सुकन्दे) Seokand (स्योकंद) Sheokhand (श्योखण्ड) Shaukin (शौकीन). They are distributed in Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi
- 1 Origin
- 2 History
- 3 Shokeen and Sheokhanda Debate
- 4 यदुवंश के शाखागोत्र
- 5 सुकन्द-सौकन्दे-शिवस्कन्दे जाटवंश का जनपद
- 6 Distribution
- 7 Distribution in Delhi
- 8 Distribution in Haryana
- 9 Sheokand Khap
- 10 Notable Persons
- 11 Gallery of Shokeen people
- 12 External links
- 13 References
- They are recorded as descendants of Chandravanshi king Shiva Skanda (शिव स्कन्ध). Some historians believe that this gotra originated from Nagavanshi Shalipinda (शालीपिण्ड).  Skanda is the name of Kartikeya, second son of Shiva and brother of Ganesha. The region Scandinavia gets name after Skanda.
There is story of this clan migrating from Lahore, Punjab in the 12 century. It was due to the wave of Arab attacks. The migratory Jat families had a first stop at Patiala in Punjab region, then it stopped in Jind(Present day Haryana), a few others kept on moving forward to Delhi and Uttar Pradesh. There were 8 brothers who settled in Delhi and founded 8 continuous villages there (in the nearby vicinity). The rest of the migrants went and settled in western Uttar Pradesh/ Harit Pradesh.
The family records of this gotra/ Clan can be found with the pundits in Gadhganga. According to Hukum Singh Panwar (Pauria),this clan is settled in about 25 contiguous villages (out of total 30 villages)  in Jind district of Haryana and about 5 villages in Nangloi block of Delhi ,rest 3 villages in delhi are bit scattered. There are couple of villages of this clan in Patiala and some in western Uttar Pradesh better known as Harit Pradesh. Of late this gotra has been Arabicised as Shokeen in some Delhi villages, though while marrying they retain their ancestral clan name that is Sheokhand. They are identified by some scholars with the Shivis  or the Sibis of the Usinara country in the north of Haridwar near the source of Ganges.  The Sivas or Sibis Jats became known as Shivakhande or Sheokhande from and after the Shivaliks, the abode of Lord Shiva, the highest deity of the Jats.
There are 8 villages (Ath-Gama) of this Gotra in National Territory of Delhi (Sultanpur Majra, Mongol Pur Kalan, Mongolpur Khurd, Peeragarhi, Nangloi Jat, Nilothi, Kamruddin-Nagar, Dichaon Kalan),Roshanpura, Deendarpur, Chhawla and in Haryana near Jind. All the village of Shokeen gotra in delhi falls in outer delhi. Though these village use Shokeen as their surnames but socially they introduce themselves as Sheokhanda, particularly for fixing marriages and in panchayats.There also seems to be a debate among Delhi villages to use their surname as Sheokhanda rather than Shokeen but some members of the community are resisting the efforts as they wish to be different.
Shokeen and Sheokhanda Debate
The change in the surname came into being in 1950s when some young boys wanted to make their names look cool. They found their surname very heavy in pronouncing and came with a suggestion of shokeen name. There is another alternate story of a young boy from one of the 8 villages who went to Mumbai to become an actor where he referred his surname as shokeen. Though he never made into the movies his surname clicked among the youth of the villages and slowly some boys started writing their names as Shokeen. Though many village elders tried to check this phenomenon but now days many are writing Shokeen as a surname. Though there are a few who still use Sheokhanda as their surname but for fixing marriages sheokhanda is used by all.
यदुवंश के शाखागोत्र
सुकन्द-सौकन्दे-शिवस्कन्दे जाटवंश का जनपद
दलीप सिंह अहलावत के अनुसार सुकन्द-सौकन्दे-शिवस्कन्दे जाटवंश का जनपद महाभारतकाल में था। (भीष्मपर्व, अ० 9)। विष्णु पुराण पृ० 158 पर अंग्रेजी अनुवादकर्त्ता एच० एच० विल्सन ने इनको सुकन्द लिखा है। भाषा-भेद से इनको शिवस्कन्दे, सौकन्दे, स्यौकन्द बोला जाता है। इस वंश के जाटों के देहली प्रान्त में नांगलोई, मंगोलपुर आदि 12 गांव हैं। जि० जीन्द में डूमरखां कलां गांव के जाट इसी गोत्र के हैं। यहां के चौ० नेकीराम जी भूतपूर्व मन्त्री हरयाणा सरकार का विवाह, दीनबन्धु सर छोटूराम की सुपुत्री भगवानी देवी से हुआ था। इनके
जाट वीरों का इतिहास: दलीप सिंह अहलावत, पृष्ठान्त-298
सुपुत्र चौ० वीरेन्द्रसिंह भूतपूर्व मन्त्री हरयाणा सरकार एवं एम० पी० तथा कांग्रेस अध्यक्ष हरयाणा प्रान्त हैं।
जि० बिजनौर में दारानगर गंज के समीप खरक गांव सौकन्दे जाटों का प्रसिद्ध गांव है। स्यौकन्द गोत्र के जाटों के जि० जीन्द, तहसील नरवाना में निम्नलिखित गांव हैं -
1. उचाना कलां 2. उचाना खुर्द 3. डूमरखां कलां 4. डूमरखां खुर्द 5. सुदकायन कलां 6. तारखा 7. खेड़ी सफा, 8. खरक भूरा 9. पाहलवां 10. काकड़ोद 11. टूहाना खेड़ा 12. बड़नपुर 13. सुन्दरपुरा 14. झील 1/215. मांगलपुर 16. खेड़ी मसानयां 17. दरोली खेड़ा 18. भगवानपुरा 19. सुरबरा 20. सेढामाजरा 21. ढाकल (आधा) 22. छान (दो तिहाई) 23. मखण्ड (आधा) 24. बुडाण (एक तिहाई) 25. संदलाना (एक चौथाई)।
स्यौकन्द खाप में 30 गांव हैं जिसका प्रधान गांव उचाना कलां है।
Sheokand (श्योकंद) gotra Jats are Scattered in many areas, have prominent presence in Kakrod, Uchana, Jajanpur near Pehowa  and some adjacent areas of Jind district in Haryana. They are mentioned in the Vishnu Purana as Sukanda (सुकन्द).  
Distribution in Delhi
There are 14 villages (chodah- Gama) of this Gotra in National Territory of Delhi (Sultanpur Majra,New Roshan Pura, Deenarpur, Mangolpur Kalan, Mangolpur Khurd, Peeragarhi, Nangloi Jat, Nilothi, Kamroodin-nagar, Chhawla,Dichau) and in Haryana near Jind. Sultanpur Majra is a 'Shokeen' gotra village in Outer (west) Delhi.
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Hisar district
Villages in Jind district
Badanpur, Budain, Budha Khera, Bhagwanpura, Daroli Khera, Dhakal Jind, Dumarkha Kalan, Dumarkha Khurd, Jheel, Kakrod, Khark Bhura, Kheri Masania, Makhand, Mangalpur, Pahlwan, Safa Kheri, Sedha Majra, Sudkain Kalan, Sunderpura, Tarkha, Tohana Khera, Uchana Kalan, Uchana Khurd,
Sheokand Khap has 24 villages in Narwana tahsil in jind district in Haryana. Bijnor district - Kharak (खरक) village, Delhi province 12 villages. Uchana Kalan (उचाना कलां) is head village of this khap. 
The family records of this gotra can be found with pundits in Gadganga.
- Chaudhary Tarif Singh - Ex-MP Outer Delhi.
- Birender Singh - Genral secratory AICC.
- Devender Shokeen - MLA, Delhi
- Devender Shokeen (Bodybuilder)
- Rajeshwar Dayal Sheokhand - Ret. IAS Haryana.
- Ashok Sheokand- XEN, Panchayati Raj Haryana (Village-Sudkain kalan)
- Dr. Bijender Singh Shokeen, former MLA from Nangloi constituency, Delhi.
- Digvijay Singh Sheokand - International basketball player and national medalist (Bronze). Computer science engineer from P.E.C Chandigarh (Village-Sudkain kalan)
- Vivek Shokeen - Tennis Player.
- Smt Jaiwanti Sheokhand - Ret. IAS Haryana.
- Harikesh Sheokand-S.P. C.B.I Retd.
- Brijendra Singh Shokeen - MP (since May 2019) from Hisar constituency of Haryana.
- Major Parmender Shokeen - Rajput Regiment (Dichaon Kalan).
- Late Ch. Bharat Singh Shokeen - from Nilothi village, Delhi (Death: 19 April, 2008), ex M.P. Outer Delhi (1984-89).
- Late Bharat Singh - (Death: 29 March 2015) - from Dichaon Kalan village - Ex-MLA, Delhi.
- Sumesh Shokeen - M.L.A. (Congress) Matiyala (Chhawla Village).
- Subhash Shokeen - Advocate, Delhi High Court (Village New Roshan Pura).
- Rajbir Singh Shokeen - Manager North Zone,Timex (Village New Roshan Pura).
- Sukhveer Singh Shokeen - S.I. Delhi Police (Village New Roshan Pura).
- Virender Singh - Daniks (Village Mangolpur Kalan).
- Late Ch. Inder Singh Sheokand - M.P. (6th Lok Sabha, 1977), Deputy C.M. of PEPSU (Patiala and East Punjab States Un.
- Brijender Singh Sheokand - IAS, D.C.Chandigarh.
- Ch. Bhoop Singh Sheokand - Advocate P & H High Court, EX Advocate General, Punjab & Haryana High Court, Chandigarh.
- Ishwar Singh Sheokand - Ex. Deputy Director (Education), Chandigarh.
- Suveer Sheokand - Advocate P & H High Court, Ex Treasurer, P & H High Court Bar Association,Convener Youth Congress, Chandigarh.
- Jagdish Singh Sheokand - Sub Inspector In Haryana Police (MangolPur Kalan).
- Surinder Pal Singh Sheokand - Siniour Advocate, Member HPCC (Dumarkha Kalan).
- Chhaju Singh Sheokand - Retired S.S Haryana Roadways.
- Manoj Shokeen - MLA BJP Kanjhawala, Delhi(Nilothi Vill.).
- Master Bijender Singh - MLA Congress, Nangloi (Vill.- Nangloi).
- Rampal Sheokand - XEN, HSIIDC, Manesar (Gurgaon) (VILLAGE-Jheel).
- Satender Sheokand - Sr. Engineer, (Vill.-Jheel).
- Vinod Sheokand - J.E (Civil) Haryana Panchyati Raj Dept, Unchana, (Vill.-Jheel).
- Surender Kr Sheokand, Asst Accounts Officer, (Vill Sunderpura), Narwana
- Rishi Pal Shokeen IPS jt. CP (Police) (Sultanpur Majra)
Gallery of Shokeen people
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.243, s.n.215
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.60,s.n. 2310
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. स-180
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al: Adhunik Jat Itihas,p. 281
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India,p. 270
- The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations, p. 38"
- Kathasaritsagar, vol.1 p. 11
- ABORI, vol. XXIX, p. 117, fn. 9
- जाट वीरों का इतिहास: दलीप सिंह अहलावत, पृष्ठ.187
- जाट वीरों का इतिहास: दलीप सिंह अहलावत, पृष्ठ.298-299
- Added by (VINEET SHEOKAND)
- Wilson's Edition, 157
- Bhim Singh Dahiya, Jats the Ancient Rulers, 1980, p. 270
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania: Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p. 21
Back to Gotras